Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's your earliest memory?

F3SS

This pops in my head now and then and just did while surfing other threads so thought I'd make a topic out of it.

I'm closer to 40 than 30 now but I've always remembered, rather I've never forgotten, what my earliest memory is. It was building a red wagon with my dad in our living room. The part I specifically remember is him asking me what part goes next and I looked at the instructions and figured it out thanks to the pictures of course and not the words. It was an egg shaped ball joint that went on the front of the wagon that the handle attached to and pivoted up and down from at its base. I used to remember it as "the egg" as a kid. I think I was 2 which I figured out from dated pictures in the old family album some time ago. At most I was 3 but I'm almost positive I was only 2.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 9

Chocolate. Specifically, those M&M type candies that come in the big plastic candy cane. 

• Like 5

What about your age though? I think that's what I really want to know.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

Chocolate. Specifically, those M&M type candies that come in the big plastic candy cane. 

How old?

• Like 1

Just now, F3SS said:

What about your age though? I think that's what I really want to know.

I'm not sure. It had to at least be my 2nd Christmas.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

I remember I got my new trike on my 3rd birthday.

I just happen to have a photo of that day.

25499029801_a86f697a59_b.jpg

Aawwwww! Look at those cheeks!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

1965. I was two years old playing at the top of a steep staircase in the attic of a sawmill shack (small portable cabin built of rough lumber).

At the far gable there was a tiny window through which a brilliant shaft of sunlight pierced. In my hands I had some Cracker Jack toys. They were give away prizes at the bottom of a box of caramel popcorn.

Love the stylin' gumboots!

I loved looking for those prizes!  And the pink elephant popcorn!  

Can you imagine how much that trike would be worth now?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Can you imagine how much that trike would be worth now?

I'm still fixated on the boots.

Hey, Zed Zed did your gumboots have a goofy little rubber spur that came off the heel, cowboy style?

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

1965. I was two years old playing at the top of a steep staircase in the attic of a sawmill shack

Maybe your parents were the ones tripping! That does not sound like an ideal place for a two year old lol.

• Like 7

Guest MamaMia1981

My earliest memory is from about 10 months old.

I was laying in the crib at my Grandma's house.  I distinctly remember looking at a picture that my mom ended up with, that used to hang over the crib in one of the upstairs bedrooms.

I remember my mom being pregnant with my younger brother, which would make me under 2 1/2 years old

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I'm still fixated on the boots.

Hey, Zed Zed did your gumboots have a goofy little rubber spur that came off the heel, cowboy style?

LOL, Colorado cowboy. ;)

Got the boots and a little red wagon that is barley visible too that day.

• Like 7

Just now, F3SS said:

Maybe your parents were the ones tripping! That does not sound like an ideal place for a two year old lol.

It was 1965 F3SS. Kids were... bulletproof.

Two years later I convinced my mother that she could leave me home alone when she went to the laundromat. This was after I had successfully ran away to home from the 'washer place'. I earnestly told her, "Don't worry, I won't do anything stupid like turn the stove on."

The neighbour lady came over and borrowed a lot of sugar and salt.

...and I still hate laundromats. :angry:

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, MamaMia1981 said:

My earliest memory is from about 10 months old.

I was laying in the crib at my Grandma's house.  I distinctly remember looking at a picture that my mom ended up with, that used to hang over the crib in one of the upstairs bedrooms.

Wow 10 months. That's kind of creepy.

• Like 5

Guest MamaMia1981
8 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Yeah, I know.  It must run in the family...my Dad will be 67 this year, he says he can remember my Grandfather building their childhood home.  He was only 1 year old when they began construction in 1951.

Pretty much everything I remember from my earliest times is a fiction fed to me by my mother about how great and precocious a child I was.  She had me, among other things, able to identify all the constellations in the sky by the time I was two.  My earliest real memories are not so nice (but not bad either), and, considering the fact that I had to "relearn" the constellations when I took astronomy in college is good evidence.

Maybe my experience causes me to be skeptical of reports of memories before about age three, since far too many times I have had relatives tell me, "You know, of course, that that didn't really happen."

• Like 7

I remember locking myself in the downstairs bathroom but I couldn't figure out how to unlock it. My mother proceeded to freak out and bang the door knob with a hammer. My neighbor came over and finally got it unlocked. I was under 2 since I was still in diapers.  Although sometimes I wonder if I actually remember this or that the story was told so many times that I only think it's a memory.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, F3SS said:

I have a vague one from when I was under one. I was learning how to walk when i came right up to a window and I remember being a little angry that I couldn't touch the glass.

About 20 years later I asked my mother about the house and it ended up being a small bay window in a house my parent's rented for about 10 months.

• Like 7

Guest MamaMia1981
9 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I have a vague one from when I was under one. I was learning how to walk when i came right up to a window and I remember being a little angry that I couldn't touch the glass.

About 20 years later I asked my mother about the house and it ended up being a small bay window in a house my parent's rented for about 10 months.

I had asked my Mom about what I remembered and she told me that my Grandparents sold the farm the summer after, and I never slept in that crib after that particular summer.  That is the only reason I know how old I was at the time of the memory.

We always had two Christmas trees. One for show in the living room and the family tree in the den, which had mostly homemade decorations made by us kids. At 2 1/2 years old, I was hanging the last ornament I had made, lost my balance and pulled the entire tree down on top of me. I was mortified and thought I'd ruined Christmas.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, MamaMia1981 said:

I had asked my Mom about what I remembered and she told me that my Grandparents sold the farm the summer after, and I never slept in that crib after that particular summer.  That is the only reason I know how old I was at the time of the memory.

I have to ask, what was the picture of?

Guest MamaMia1981
5 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I have to ask, what was the picture of?

It was a vase on a table with flowers in it.  The frame was dark stained wood with decorative holes around the edges.