Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Windows XP and so on

Bendy Demon

On 23/03/2017 at 7:19 AM, tmcom said:

True, but most of the updates are fluff, l have not updates my other laptop, (w7 home) for 8 months. It has not fallen in a heap or got a virus, etc.

And have an old PC with XP, that one hasn't been updated for more than 2 years, same thing, works perfectly.

It's always worth doing the security updates, but yeah, I agree.

Basically, the best defence your computer has is the user's common sense; don't download unknown files, especially .exe files, and don't click on dodgy links - although these are getting more clever by the day.

Use common sense along with basic virus and firewall software, along with adblocking and script blocking addons in your browser and you should be fairly bulletproof.

XP is more of an issue though, unless you are happy to use older software vesrions, as some new software simply won't work with XP.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

basic virus and firewall software, along with adblocking and script blocking addons in your browser and you should be fairly bulletproof.

Then you can't surf, just kidding.

7 hours ago, LV-426 said:

It's always worth doing the security updates, but yeah, I agree.

Basically, the best defence your computer has is the user's common sense; don't download unknown files, especially .exe files, and don't click on dodgy links - although these are getting more clever by the day.

Use common sense along with basic virus and firewall software, along with adblocking and script blocking addons in your browser and you should be fairly bulletproof.

XP is more of an issue though, unless you are happy to use older software vesrions, as some new software simply won't work with XP.

Yes, exactly. If l was downloading a dodgy piece of software then l would use my old laptop.

And l do have updates on for XP, but Microsoft has stopped updates for that. 2 years, and it is purring.

Interesting thing l recently found was my new one actually updated a few days ago, eventhough all updates are turned off.

Thankfully no damage was done, eventhough l have a mirror on standby, and l had to dig deeper to turn updates off.

B)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MWoo7 said:

Then you can't surf, just kidding.

Actually, there's a degree of truth to what you say.

As with anything that hits advertisers in their pockets, there's a push to prevent use of adblocking software. It ranges from code that detects an adblocker and prevents use of a site without it being disabled, e.g...

BlockAdblock

...through to adblocking software itself caving to commerce and allowing "acceptable" advertising, e.g:

Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

As with general security though, it's a case of using common sense. I haven't actually seen many sites that require the disabling of adblocking, outside of file hosting sites. As soon as you let your guard down with such sites though, you often get spammed with pages telling you that your system has been compromised and that you need to install "dodgy software X" to clean your system, which actually does the exact opposite to a system that is already clean.

At this point, you're probably wiser finding a better source to download the file you need, although with selective script blocking you can still usually navigate the obvious traps and get what you need from a site.

Common sense... man's (and woman's) best friend! ^_^

• Like 1