Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

fast radio bursts could be alien technology

Ozfactor

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/harvard-astronomers-theorise-about-possible-alien-origin-of-fast-radio-bursts/news-story/ecbf9df7c11a9b10312b906f7e9698a6

HARVARD researchers have proposed a theory about the possibility of mysterious celestial phenomena known as fast radio bursts (FRB) being caused by alien space travel or advanced alien technology.

“Specifically, these bursts might be leakage from planet-sized transmitters powering interstellar probes in distant galaxies,” suggested astronomers from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

• Like 6

Interesting theory.  As radio waves are a part on the EM spectrum, maybe the galaxy is just burping.

• Like 4

I guess we'll find out when one lands on our doorstep, with a case of booklets on, "How to serve man."  :rolleyes:

• Like 5

Interesting theory indeed, but highly unlikely to me. 

It could be a good idea for the next Star Wars tho. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

I guess we'll find out when one lands on our doorstep, with a case of booklets on, "How to serve man."  :rolleyes:

LOL, Every time someone wants to meet aliens, that's exactly what I think of!  I think we should be careful of what we wish for. 

Speaking of which, if you aren't watching "Colony" on USA Network, try it.  I am a scifi junky, and I think it's one of the better shows.  Josh Holloway is in it, so you get some eye candy too. 

:wub:

• Like 4

Are Mysterious Fast Radio Bursts Propelling Alien Spacecraft? | Video
The feasibility of a gigantic radio transmitter beaming Fast Radio Burst (FRB) signals across the cosmos has been studied. Could these signals be propelling alien spacecraft?

Source: Space.com

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

Or a case of whiskey and a deck of cards.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 1

If I have read the article correctly, the radio beam is used to push against a "sail" on the alien spacecraft. If we are detecting the radio beam, then that is because it is pointing in our direction. And that means the beam must be propelling an alien spacecraft in our direction ...

As an aside, I would have thought shorter wavelength photons would be used as they are more energetic and less prone to dispersal than radio waves. When the aliens arrive I will point that out to them.

Here's another thought. Perhaps encoded within the radio beam are instructions to show us how to make a similar radio beam transmitter. The aliens need us to build one because without it they will not be able to slow down and will shoot right past us!

• Like 5

Do you turn it up to go Faster, and down to Slow down ? And How many cyl`s does this baby have ?

20 hours ago, Derek Willis said:

If I have read the article correctly, the radio beam is used to push against a "sail" on the alien spacecraft. If we are detecting the radio beam, then that is because it is pointing in our direction. And that means the beam must be propelling an alien spacecraft in our direction ...

As an aside, I would have thought shorter wavelength photons would be used as they are more energetic and less prone to dispersal than radio waves. When the aliens arrive I will point that out to them.

Here's another thought. Perhaps encoded within the radio beam are instructions to show us how to make a similar radio beam transmitter. The aliens need us to build one because without it they will not be able to slow down and will shoot right past us!

They won't come here. The radio bursts are coming from galaxies billions of light years away, meaning that it would take the aliens tens or hundreds of billions of years to reach us using light sails. They could travel to nearby stars in their own galaxy but no further.

The aliens who sent the bursts have been dead for billions of years, and their star and planet have in many cases already died, when we detect the burst.

Edited by fred_mc

1 hour ago, fred_mc said:

They won't come here. The radio bursts are coming from galaxies billions of light years away, meaning that it would take the aliens tens or hundreds of billions of years to reach us using light sails. They could travel to nearby stars in their own galaxy but no further.

The aliens who sent the bursts have been dead for billions of years, and their star and planet have in many cases already died, when we detect the burst.

That is a disappointment.  

• Like 1

On 12 March 2017 at 11:36 AM, Lilly said:

Time and distance make contact with alien civilizations highly unlikely.

Only where time and distance are relevant. The deserts and oceans were an obstacle to early man but they managed it tens of thousands of years ago. Time and distance are somewhat different to a human and say a fly? Yes if a certain alien was human size or microscopic but they could be mahoosive! A bedbug would take a lifetime to walk what we could walk in an hour.

The Aliens spacecraft could be the size of the earth with an engine the size of the Moon.. Bigger, more power, faster.. Like comparing The Wright brothers first plane to Saturn 5. Evolution. That only took less than 100 years. They may have been developing their space technology for thousands of years. They may have by now fitted all that technology into something the size of a toothpaste tube? But yes, I doubt we'll ever get to that stage and I doubt many 'Aliens' have. But some could I suppose. 

• Like 2

On 3/11/2017 at 5:08 AM, Derek Willis said:

I don't think you read it correctly. It is a "fast" radio burst because they say it sweeps past us because of relative motion.

My problem with all this is that if we are seeing these massively energetic flashes, then MOST of that energy MUST be missing those giant Sails the paper assumed!!!

Just throwing that out there...

• Like 3

Rather than this just being a very interesting theory....who knows.....maybe one day it might be proven as fact that there is an intelligent species of life out there (and possibly others) as far as these mysterious radio bursts are concerned.

If anything... it's nice to imagine about the far reaching possibilities.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been noted that a number of Fast Radio Bursts have dispersion measurement values that are various small integer multiples of the single value 187.5 cm -3/pc. Difficult to see how a natural phenomenon could cause such orderly results.

The dispersion measurement is based on the way in which the bursts are affected by their travel through space. It is roughly correlated to the distance the energy has covered.  This seems to suggest the possibility that the sources of fast radio bursts could be arranged in an orderly pattern in space. 

Difficult to see how something could be natural until someone figures it out.  I would recommend not holding my breath.

• Like 1

Most natural phenomena, even if not fully understood, do not seem to partake of the artificial. I am willing to consider to any natural scenario that can explain the fact that 15 of the 20 sources of fast radio bursts rather closely adhere to 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 times the set value for dispersion mentioned above. As I am not confident that such an explanation is possible, I do not contemplate holding my breath, while awaiting it.  

eh it could happen but don't hold your breath

surprised that docu kid hasn't piped in ?\

Are you serious , still allowing special kid clubs to comment? let alone be a mod?

oh irrelevant as he's not commented on this thread.

Edited by MWoo7

great but don't dig too deep into the butter -- tards

Edited by MWoo7

15 hours ago, MWoo7 said:

Time and distance make contact with alien civilizations highly unlikely. amazing

Not knowing how distant, or how numerous extraterrestrial civilizations are, or how rapidly they can get from point A to point B, I couldn't say if this is so or not. In any case, this wouldn't prevent us receiving their radio emissions, even if these started their journey to us a billion years ago, provided they were strong enough, as the Fast Radio Bursts are.  

• Like 2

The following is a list of Fast Radio Bursts, together with their dispersion measurements, as explained above, and numerical analyses of how these come near, or very near to being small integer multiples of the single dispersion value of 187.5 cm-3/pc. This latter is the most artificial-seeming aspect of the phenomenon.

Name                  DM        multiple     accuracy 

FRB 010125       790            4             .949

FRB 010621       745            4             1.006

FRB 010724       375             2             1.000

FRB 090625       899.55        5             1.042

FRB 110220       944.38        5              .9927

FRB 110626       723             4              1.037

FRB 110703       1103.6        6              1.019

FRB 120127        553.3         3              1.016

FRB 121102        557            3              1.009

FRB 130626        952.4         5               .984

FRB 131104        779            4               .962