Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Madeleine McCann police funds extended

Still Waters

Police investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have been granted £85,000 to extend the search for a further six months.

The Home Office funding is to extend the probe, known as Operation Grange, between April and September this year.

Madeleine, of Rothley, Leicestershire, disappeared from her family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal in May 2007 aged three.

The extra funding has been earmarked for operational costs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-39246538

The last search was supposed to have been their last -

The lead is said to be the "last throw of the dice" in the investigation.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/301333-new-lead-in-disappearance-of-madeleine-mccann/

• Like 4

I know it's unlikely but I'd still like to see her come home :/

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
  • Like 5

Every time I see a story about Madeleine, I think about how her parents failed her, how many of the investigations failed her, and of how this case gets so much funding and media coverage, whilst other missing children cases do not.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Claire. said:

Every time I see a story about Madeleine, I think about how her parents failed her, how many of the investigations failed her, and of how this case gets so much funding and media coverage, whilst other missing children cases do not.

There's something extremely fishy about her parents' story and this entire case. There are conspiracy theories about the whole farce.

At the very least, they are horrible parents and should be in prison for neglect alone.

• Like 5

I, too, feel there is something not right about this.  And IF there was a kidnapper who kept her alive.  Would they still keep her if it was ANNOUNCED that they are closing in on the kidnapper?  You don't give a warning to the perp like that.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Claire. said:

Yes indeed. Call me a cynic, but it's funny how the police are quite happy to spend ten years or more & millions of taxpayers £s sending teams of police officers off to investigate when the crime is committed in some far off beach resort (Ben Needham being another example) whilst less so when these things happen closer to home. I suspect that if the Mcanns were a working class family living on a council estate in England the police would have drawn a line under it ten years ago.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Yes indeed. Call me a cynic, but it's funny how the police are quite happy to spend ten years or more & millions of taxpayers £s sending teams of police officers off to investigate when the crime is committed in some far off beach resort (Ben Needham being another example) whilst less so when these things happen closer to home. I suspect that if the Mcanns were a working class family living on a council estate in England the police would have drawn a line under it ten years ago.

My thoughts exactly. Don't get me wrong, though, I don't have an issue with any amount of money being spent to find a missing child, but the same effort and resources should be applied to all missing children. Whatever it takes to find them.

• Like 5

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:06 PM, Still Waters said:

Police investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have been granted £85,000 to extend the search for a further six months.

The Home Office funding is to extend the probe, known as Operation Grange, between April and September this year.

Madeleine, of Rothley, Leicestershire, disappeared from her family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal in May 2007 aged three.

The extra funding has been earmarked for operational costs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-39246538

The last search was supposed to have been their last -

Invite them to 10 Downing Street, when they are out bug their home, give it a few weeks to gather evidence. Easy.

• Like 2

I think that the poor little girl was stolen for pedophiles -

I just hope and pray she didn't suffer too much as I don't think she
is alive now - 

dear sweet child - rest in peace little one -

• Like 1

It's already been said by itsnotoutthere and Claire., but.........

Edited by acute
  • Like 2

I agree.

I can't imagine anything worse than losing a child and ultimately getting no 'closure', but I can't help wondering if the disappearance of Madeleine would have gained so much attention, and the disproportionate funding, if her parents were not attractive middle-class professionals deemed worthy of a front-cover article or in-depth news item.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, acute said:

I agree.

I can't imagine anything worse than losing a child and ultimately getting no 'closure', but I can't help wondering if the disappearance of Madeleine would have gained so much attention, and the disproportionate funding, if her parents were not attractive middle-class professionals deemed worthy of a front-cover article or in-depth news item.

But, I still have this niggling feeling that the parents have never told the whole truth.  I don't know why, but I feel they had something to do with her disappearance.  I could be wrong, but something just never added up for me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, alibongo said:

It was suggested in medical circles at the time of her disappearance what had actually happened.

This reporter is on to it:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11819000

Based on what evidence? Whilst I agree officers completely bungled the investigation, particularly those who compromised the crime scene by not securing it right away, I do not for a moment believe this analyst has the evidence necessary to reach such a conclusion — or any other conclusion for that matter. How could she? No one knows exactly how much of the evidence was contaminated or removed. If she's also basing her conclusions on the behavior of Madeleine's parents, that too would be hit and miss. It's a theory, a guess  — nothing more. Furthermore, regardless of what she or other analysts have to say, the fact of the matter is that a child is still missing, and that child could very well still be alive.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

Well whos blood was it then in the car?

I don;t know for certain. The samples of blood found in the car and flat were apparently damaged and of poor quality, but Portuguese authorities claimed the blood was indeed Madeleine's. The car by the way, was rented three weeks after Madeleine went missing, so how could she ever have been in it?

• Like 1

It's hard to know how anyone would react in a situation like that.  I just still don't fully believe the parents.  And if she did die because of an accident, how could they face the guilt and shame?  Maybe they do want to have her remains back to bury properly and this is why they keep the search going.  Again, I could be way off, but, I just have a feeling that there is more and it is on the parents.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

It's hard to know how anyone would react in a situation like that.  I just still don't fully believe the parents.  And if she did die because of an accident, how could they face the guilt and shame?  Maybe they do want to have her remains back to bury properly and this is why they keep the search going.  Again, I could be way off, but, I just have a feeling that there is more and it is on the parents.

I don't know if there's more, or if they are responsible in any way. I think they come across the way they do because they are desperate to find their child.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Claire. said:

I don't know if there's more, or if they are responsible in any way. I think they come across the way they do because they are desperate to find their child.

And of course we want to think the best about people.  I want to think the best about them, but something just doesn't allow me.  I don't know why.

• Like 3

Just now, glorybebe said:

And of course we want to think the best about people.  I want to think the best about them, but something just doesn't allow me.  I don't know why.

My perspective of them is skewed because I dislike them, and I have to make a conscious effort to detach when examining details about the case. Perhaps your situation is the same?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Claire. said:

My perspective of them is skewed because I dislike them, and I have to make a conscious effort to detach when examining details about the case. Perhaps your situation is the same?

It's possible.  But, it's mostly that I get a feeling when I see pictures of missing people.  I saw her picture and I thought she was dead.  There have been many times I was right in feeling people in the pictures were already dead.  I have also been wrong occasionally.  I am not saying I am psychic, just get hunches and my hunch is that she is dead and was dead when the story broke.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Claire. said:

Based on what evidence? Whilst I agree officers completely bungled the investigation, particularly those who compromised the crime scene by not securing it right away, I do not for a moment believe this analyst has the evidence necessary to reach such a conclusion — or any other conclusion for that matter. How could she? No one knows exactly how much of the evidence was contaminated or removed. If she's also basing her conclusions on the behavior of Madeleine's parents, that too would be hit and miss. It's a theory, a guess  — nothing more. Furthermore, regardless of what she or other analysts have to say, the fact of the matter is that a child is still missing, and that child could very well still be alive.

Nope.

42 minutes ago, alibongo said:

Nope.

Yep. And it wouldn't be the first time a missing child was presumed dead only to be found alive. Not that it matters, because until when, and if, a body is found, all missing children cases should be conducted on the premise the child is still alive.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Claire. said:

Yep. And it wouldn't be the first time a missing child was presumed dead only to be found alive. Not that it matters, because until when, and if, a body is found, all missing children cases should be conducted on the premise the child is still alive.

Millions of pounds spent looking for a child who was overdosed on sedative and quietly buried?

10 minutes ago, alibongo said:

Millions of pounds spent looking for a child who was overdosed on sedative and quietly buried?

The decision on whether or not to continue the investigation should not hinge on a theory, particularly one that hasn't the evidence to support it.

• Like 1