Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favorite Cold Remedy?

HandsomeGorilla

Yup, I'm sick, and I know I can't be the only one. Just wondering what everyone's favorite cold remedy is? For me it's a hot toddy with whisky, hot water, lemon and honey; theraflu during the day and Nyquil before bed. Oh, and Jewish penicillin, of course - chicken noodle soup. 

Feeling a little better but still feel (and look) like I've been on a week long bender. Still so congested I can't taste or smell 100 proof whisky! 

So, what's your favorite way to alleviate symptoms?

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry
  • Like 2

Not 7-Up or smoke in the ears.  Probably rest and one of favorite flavored elixirs ... Primarily Rest try to be clear of the mass(es) and wash hands till nails crack off HA!

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

I'm going to throw up a cautionary warning here as a moderator... folks, be cautious about the medical advice rule here. In line with that, if folks are sick, always seek proper medical advice, don't just take opinions off the internet.

Keeping that in mind, and now a couple bits as a member...

Fluids. Chicken noodle soup for me, though a lot of folks like other soups too. And various teas and mulled cider. I make a hot beverage with chunks of fresh ginger, fresh lemon, and a cinnamon stick- add honey or not in the cup, not in the pot. Lots of water.

Good tissues, and a good supply of them. It's like having a good comforter for your nose. And a jar or tube of some sort of balm dedicated to your nose use if it gets chapped up- that's extra awful.

And if you got them... cats. Cats are magic and can make you feel better :cat: I hear that dogs work well too, but can't personally attest to it.

• Like 5

those are very good reminders, rashore.

though the cats part would destroy me. cold multiplied by allergies = horror show

• Like 2

I drink cinnamon tea.  I always have cinnamon sticks in the house.  You just pour hot water over them.   I drink it for as long as I feel the symptoms.  I usually am not sick as long as my friends when I drink this.

• Like 1

Hot water with lemon and honey for sore throat. Then a lot of "bouillon", which literally mean broth, which is a mix of chicken broth and tomato juice, served in a mug. It's usually served in French Canadian big family parties as an alternative to coffee. I usually make a good batch and drink it slowly over the days, microwaved.

Edit: Oh! and I always have a box of fancy kleenex with moisturizing cream inside.

Edited by Gingitsune
  • Like 2

2 of my standby fav alternative/natural health remedies for colds are:-

Fresh ginger and lemon tea - Ginger's properties are renowned in relieving colds. Although you can buy this (i.e. teabags) making it fresh has a better effect and also tastes nicer.  Finely grate some fresh ginger root (about a teaspoon) into a cup.  Top up with boiling water.  Cover and leave for a few minutes to infuse.  Then either sieve into another cup or (if you don't mind chewing the bits of ginger as an added treat) add honey to taste and some lemon juice.

Toast with garlic butter - garlic is has powerful antiviral properties.  Best eaten raw for its full benefits so either making garlic butter (which you probably won't feel like doing) or spreading thin slivers of it onto buttered toast (I find a tomato goes nicely with it).  To offset garlic breath, chew some fresh parsley or drink some peppermint tea.

Edited by sees
  • Like 2

Not your Huckleberry,

Our having been cautioned by Rashore, inclines me to speak for myself only as it may pertain to colds.

'Prevention first' means maintaining one's immunity.  For me, that mainly means a balanced diet plus a multiple vitamin and 2,000 units of D3, a few bites of yogurt with live cultures, plenty of water (purified by reverse osmosis), moderate exercise and adequate rest daily while, hopefully, my maintaining a reasonably good attitude.

At the onset of a sore throat, sometimes my drinking apple cider vinegar with the 'mother' diluted with water rids me of the problem.  Whereupon I have any symptom of my coming down with a cold, I take a 1,000 units of vitamin C twice per day and until I'm again feeling well.  Natural sources of vitamin C, e.g. citrus fruit or juice thereof, in addition to the supplements usually make me immediately feel better (temporarily, at least) and, thus, seem to help as well.

Humidifiers might be advisable in dry climates.  Minimizing dust and exposure to other airborne irritants, e.g. by cleaning or changing the air filters to a central heating system, is advisable in regard to congestion.  When congested, hot fluids from broth (I regularly drink too much coffee) make me feel better.

Get well soon!

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 2

When feasible I have found a small amount of warm brandy heated on the stove relieves a lot of the symptoms.

• Like 2

Thanks rashore, eeeeh I've at times tended to forget that one !  I'm always trying not to be crude/rude or really pull others away from that tripe(family site) but I forgot ! that one HAHHAHA!

THANKS !

rashore

• Omnipotent Entity
Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BrooklynGuy said:

When feasible I have found a small amount of warm brandy heated on the stove relieves a lot of the symptoms.

"[A] small amount" is important.

As far as prevention goes, I forgot to mention clean hands' being of primary importance next to keeping them out of one's eyes, nose and even ears-- it is in the latter that strep throat is said to be contracted especially whereupon the outside temperature drops precipitously.  Appreciable is the fact that more and more stores make wet wipes available just inside their doors where cart handles and, before and after shopping, hands can be wiped.  Moreover, produce with skin/peelings need scrubbed with soap and all of it need be thoroughly rinsed before it is eaten.

The last lesson I learned after being free of colds and flu for a decade without any preventative shots was to remember to discard any after-dinner toothpicks before shopping.  Touching things that others have touched between unconsciously toying with something that's in your mouth is careless.

Wellness2y'all!

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Dayquill and about 40mgs of sativa based marijuana edibles and im up and running like new

• Like 1

Two three tabascodrops in the eyes usually get me on other thoughts.
And when my nose is runny I use to sniff cement it works like a charm..

Edited by Herr Falukorv
  • Like 1

If it's in my chest rock candy and moonshine 

• Like 1

Lota fav remedies.....each their own, eh?

For me, I like piping hot tea...Peppermint or Honey & Lemon, helps relieve congestion and soothes the throat.

I also take an OTC, mainly Nyquil/Dayquil.

Thank God for Cold-Eeze & Zycam....don't have to suffer so long.

• Like 1