Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's talk history

kmt_sesh

1 hour ago, ShadowSot said:

Archy Fantasies did a podcast on the recent Gobekli Tepe paper with Jens Notroff. Worth a listen, and his blog is a good read. 

Interesting that the authors of the odd Scottish article finally credited Collins but directly disassociated themselves from Hancock.

I don't do podcasts very much, so for the benefit of other dense people such as I, the link to the podcast itself is at the bottom of the pretty graphic at top-right.

And in the list of links there's a great list of some credible scientific papers written about Göbekli Teoe.

Thanks for sharing this, Mr. Durante-Sphinx. I mean ShadowSot.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Interesting that the authors of the odd Scottish article finally credited Collins but directly disassociated themselves from Hancock.

I don't do podcasts very much, so for the benefit of other dense people such as I, the link to the podcast itself is at the bottom of the pretty graphic at top-right.

And in the list of links there's a great list of some credible scientific papers written about Göbekli Teoe.

Thanks for sharing this, Mr. Durante-Sphinx. I mean ShadowSot.

Don't worry, made reality comport with your mistake. :)

Archy Fantasies is one of my favorite podcasts, very much enjoy the hosts. 

On 5/17/2017 at 0:37 AM, kmt_sesh said:

LOL That's a lot like my blog, then. It tends to attract either people of an academic bent or those steeped deeply in woo, so relatively not a whole lot. But I enjoy it. I need to start writing some more. But I wouldn't even know how to do my own podcast. so I don't know if that will ever happen. Besides, what if you tune in only to discover kmt_sesh sounds like Elmer Fudd?

I'm quite sure I've seen and heard you on YouTube...not anything like Elmer, even when hunting wabbits.

5 hours ago, Khaemwaset said:

I'm quite sure I've seen and heard you on YouTube...not anything like Elmer, even when hunting wabbits.

You saw my pole-dancing videos on YouTube? 

Kidding, None of those. I do have a YT channel but haven't used it in years. I used to make cheesy ancient Egypt videos. I don't recall ever using my own voice for them, however. And I didn't appear in any of them. I'm not good-looking enough for that. But I've been filmed quite a few times in the Egyptian gallery when I'm giving presentations or helping with school projects, so it's possible I'm in some YT videos. Lately I've been thinking of doing vlogs about the Egyptian exhibit, so I might be filming myself yet. Fair warning!

• Like 2

I remember stumbling onto your YouTube account some time ago. 

A vlog on the exhibits would be great! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Kidding, None of those. I do have a YT channel but haven't used it in years. I used to make cheesy ancient Egypt videos. I don't recall ever using my own voice for them, however. And I didn't appear in any of them. I'm not good-looking enough for that. But I've been filmed quite a few times in the Egyptian gallery when I'm giving presentations or helping with school projects, so it's possible I'm in some YT videos. Lately I've been thinking of doing vlogs about the Egyptian exhibit, so I might be filming myself yet. Fair warning!

Heh!  My superannuated and chemotherapied brain is a little fried, but if I remember correctly you were indeed giving a presentation to students/visitors at your museum and once were handling a mummy that was (I think) being scanned.  Not a wabbit in sight.

16 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Are you a scholar of ancient Egypt in meatspace? Or an archaeologist of some kind?

17 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

We should get together and collaborate!  I made several Egyptological short videos when teaching classes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Podo said:

Are you a scholar of ancient Egypt in meatspace? Or an archaeologist of some kind?

No, I'm an amateur historian and work in the Egyptian galleries of two Egyptian exhibits in Chicago. I give tours and lectures there but I am not a professional. The closest I've come is working with Egyptologists and curators.

6 hours ago, Kenemet said:

We should get together and collaborate!  I made several Egyptological short videos when teaching classes.

As long as pole dancing isn't involved. I'm not graceful enough.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2017 at 2:40 AM, kmt_sesh said:

As long as pole dancing isn't involved. I'm not graceful enough.

Maybe you might manage a Sand Dance, though ...

• Like 1

On May 26, 2017 at 7:43 AM, Windowpane said:

That video has appeared before at UM. I didn't know about it till recently. Those two guys are too much.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about the barges used in AE. Apparently a lot of them were built but I haven't seen one (even in hieroglyphs). I was thinking about this recently because of a friend who builds docks showed me a pic of his barge with his 50 ton crane. The barge is massive. So I'm trying to visualize in my mind what an AE barge would look like transporting 30 tons of stone. Also, how did the barge physically move and what was it made of (reeds and lumber?).

I'm curious about this in general, so pics of other ancient cultures barges of similar size sounds interesting.

2 hours ago, internetperson said:

I'm curious about the barges used in AE. Apparently a lot of them were built but I haven't seen one (even in hieroglyphs). I was thinking about this recently because of a friend who builds docks showed me a pic of his barge with his 50 ton crane. The barge is massive. So I'm trying to visualize in my mind what an AE barge would look like transporting 30 tons of stone. Also, how did the barge physically move and what was it made of (reeds and lumber?).

I'm curious about this in general, so pics of other ancient cultures barges of similar size sounds interesting.

As I understand it, they were built out of reeds, so they wouldn't have survived.  There are some tomb paintings of them, if memory serves.

On 5/24/2017 at 0:21 PM, kmt_sesh said:

You might find this handy ;

https://www.canon.com.au/wide-angle-lenses

• Like 1

On 5/26/2017 at 10:43 PM, Windowpane said:

Where was Betty ?  Its  no good without Betty !

I've been wanting to do a show or a podcast for awhile now, since I stopped doing my old one. 

But lack the depth of knowledge I need. 

6 hours ago, internetperson said:

One idea ;      https://www.cheops-pyramide.ch/khufu-pyramid/nile-shipping.html

.... it had to happen eventually ,  I suppose ; 

Image result for ancient Egyptian barges

Belly dancing cabaret at 9 pm . 

The evening’s entertainment was a Tanoura spinning dancer who came into the room with much pomp and was well received as he spun round and round removing successive layers to the music. He even went round the room to different tables, waving his dress above people’s heads, which everybody enjoyed. "     ......     he   did   did   he   ?  !   :blink:

12 minutes ago, back to earth said:

One idea ;      https://www.cheops-pyramide.ch/khufu-pyramid/nile-shipping.html

.... it had to happen eventually ,  I suppose ; 

Image result for ancient Egyptian barges

Belly dancing cabaret at 9 pm . 

The evening’s entertainment was a Tanoura spinning dancer who came into the room with much pomp and was well received as he spun round and round removing successive layers to the music. He even went round the room to different tables, waving his dress above people’s heads, which everybody enjoyed. "     ......     he   did   did   he   ?  !   :blink:

Whatever floats your boat...

NOT   having my head up an Egyptian man's dress .

11 hours ago, internetperson said:

When it comes to pictures, this is as close as I could come:

cb87dc675c181cd24f9f172d16d06b44.jpg

It's back to earth's weekend cottage.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, what first sprung to mind was the Hatshepsut reliefs at Deir el Bahri. She commissioned wonderful relief carvings of large, spectacular ships for her court's voyage to Punt. You might look into that, as well as clear photos or line art of her obelisks. They show great boats. I'm having no luck finding good, clear photos of them online.

I'm also thinking of a depiction of a large barge (that rhymes) with a huge obelisk secured to the deck. I've seen it many times in photographs but, again, can't seem to find it online. I can't recall if this depiction is also attributed to Hatshepsut.

These large, load-bearing boats were almost certainly constructed from cedar or spruce that had been imported from Lebanon. Very few boats survived the ages, but a few wooden ones (or parts thereof) have. We have one of Senusret III's funerary boats on display at the Field Museum.

There's always the Khufu barge:

640px-Gizeh_Sonnenbarke_BW_2.jpg

True, this wasn't so much for freight as it was a party barge for the king. But look at the shape it's in—from 2550 BCE. It's beautiful. The Khufu barge shows the ancient craftsmen's skills even at that early point in dynastic history. I recall that's it's something around 140 feet long.

15 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

I`m still curious of the shafts in the great pyramid:)

http://www.catchpenny.org/shafts.html

You have a right to be curious about the shafts. Many people are. But if you recall, we had a whole thread on that topic and could reach no consensus for the simple reason that no one truly knows why they're in that pyramid.

The more I've thought about the shafts, the less important I think they were (and are). One must think of them in context. Of over 100 pyramids the Egyptians built, no one put in shafts before Khufu and no one did after. Unless the old theory is true that they were a means by which the king's soul could ascend—I'm not convinced that's correct—they just don't seem practical or necessary. As with other things Egyptian engineers did, the Khufu shafts might have been a one-off, fleeting episode.

20 hours ago, Kenemet said:

As I understand it, they were built out of reeds, so they wouldn't have survived.  There are some tomb paintings of them, if memory serves.

I'd like to see the paintings if you could dig them up. 

16 hours ago, back to earth said:

Very cool. Great link, thanks. Will have to look into this more.

10 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

In all seriousness, what first sprung to mind was the Hatshepsut reliefs at Deir el Bahri. She commissioned wonderful relief carvings of large, spectacular ships for her court's voyage to Punt. You might look into that, as well as clear photos or line art of her obelisks. They show great boats. I'm having no luck finding good, clear photos of them online.

I'm also thinking of a depiction of a large barge (that rhymes) with a huge obelisk secured to the deck. I've seen it many times in photographs but, again, can't seem to find it online. I can't recall if this depiction is also attributed to Hatshepsut.

These large, load-bearing boats were almost certainly constructed from cedar or spruce that had been imported from Lebanon. Very few boats survived the ages, but a few wooden ones (or parts thereof) have. We have one of Senusret III's funerary boats on display at the Field Museum.

True, this wasn't so much for freight as it was a party barge for the king. But look at the shape it's in—from 2550 BCE. It's beautiful. The Khufu barge shows the ancient craftsmen's skills even at that early point in dynastic history. I recall that's it's something around 140 feet long.

These are the boats I'm familiar with. While fascinating (aka cool) I don't think they would've been remotely capable of transporting 30 tons. That being said, they weren't designed for cargo so why would they? That's where we come full circle: surely they had a particular design/model used for transportation. I understand they would've faded away a long time ago but again, one would think there would be a painting somewhere.

10 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Of over 100 pyramids the Egyptians built, no one put in shafts before Khufu and no one did after. Unless the old theory is true that they were a means by which the king's soul could ascend—I'm not convinced that's correct—they just don't seem practical or necessary. As with other things Egyptian engineers did, the Khufu shafts might have been a one-off, fleeting episode.

What about Sneferu's pyramids?

Edited by internetperson

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked