Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 14
kmt_sesh

Let's talk history

559 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Question for our experts:

What was the AE religious view of various metals? Did they assign magical powers to say gold, silver, copper etc?

To an extent, yes, and mostly concerning Re. In their mythology Re's skin was gold, shining like the sun. As a color by itself gold represented the sun and repelled demons. This is why many burial masks and coffin faces had gold plating: to look like Re and to ward off evil. In other cases gold-color pigment was used.

Moreover, Re's hair was lapis lazuli and his bones were made of silver. Lapis was a valuable import and silver was even rarer. Re's gonads were made of Styrofoam. I made up that last one.

Not exactly sure on bronze and copper, but when highly polished they can resemble gold.

3 people like this

1 minute ago, kmt_sesh said:

To an extent, yes, and mostly concerning Re. In their mythology Re's skin was gold, shining like the sun. As a color by itself gold represented the sun and repelled demons. This is why many burial masks and coffin faces had gold plating: to look like Re and to ward off evil. In other cases gold-color pigment was used.

Moreover, Re's hair was lapis lazuli and his bones were made of silver. Lapis was a valuable import and silver was even rarer. Re's gonads were made of Styrofoam. I made up that last one.

Not exactly sure on bronze and copper, but when highly polished they can resemble gold.

And Isis fashioned a golden phallus for Osiris after the fish ate his original. 

Of course, your description is textual proof the gods of Egypt were clearly alien robots. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Reminds me of Plato`s Atlantis  the Atlantians were drowning in metals, while Athens had no need for it .:)

Edited by docyabut2

Did someone say magical metals ?   :) 

Not that I know of the ancient Egyptian view ,  but , here is some  much later info;

Magicum Electrum - often considered a blend of gold and silver    (  Sun and Moon 'joined' ) 

But the old Tibetan version can be a  blend of up to 7 metals each one mixed in when its planetary aspects are favourable . 

Ideally  the gold and silver for a good Sun Moon aspect , and any other planet included, or if not , later when those planets are aspects well the associated metal would be mixed in.    Hence the 'magical effects '  of  bell and bowl   (unless you get a cheap one made from  ' white metal '  ( old  melted down engine parts, nuts and  bolts, etc  .    ;)  ) 

The modern arrangement seems to be ;

Mercury - mercury (or brass ) ,  Venus - copper , Mars - iron , Jupiter - tin ,  Saturn - lead .  That seems to evolved via Agrippa,  via  Islamic 'hermetic science ' ,  via  ' Alexandrian Synthesis '   via   .....   ?   

2 people like this

5 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

And Isis fashioned a golden phallus for Osiris after the fish ate his original. 

Of course, your description is textual proof the gods of Egypt were clearly alien robots. 

Oh, how flattering. Why thank you!

Oops, my bad. I thought you were talking about my...

Never mind.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Oh, how flattering. Why thank you!

Oops, my bad. I thought you were talking about my...

Never mind.

I mean, according to the story it got... Misplaced. 

I hope there aren't similarities. O.O

On 6/16/2017 at 5:56 PM, kmt_sesh said:

Exactly. In fact, speaking of silver, during the Old Kingdom it was held to be more valuable than gold due to its relative scarcity.  Thus I could imagine that it would have been considered ideal in those days for the pharaohs to be buried with a larger percentage of silver objects as a symbol of their wealth and power.

I am convinced that an intact pyramid burial would have demonstrated this.

Edited by Lord Harry

Whats up at Orkney ?  Episode  7 

Cattle skulls being used as wall 'foundations '  and in some cases ,   parts of human skulls incorporated into the walls . 

"We've found human skull fragments which seem to be actually built into the structure of the wall, which seems to be pretty unusual and interesting," says Wilson. They also recently made an equally puzzling discovery: at least 10 cattle skulls were inserted in the earth packed within the walls, their horns pointing downwards. "

Unfortunately  some sites at Orkney may soon be gone ;    

Over the last 30 years, the north Atlantic wind has remorselessly swept away thousands of tonnes of sand at Noltland, excavating dunes and finally exposing several thousand years of early human civilisation.But the wind now threatens to destroy the site, which sits just tens of metres from the surf. The gales are becoming more intense.  ...  Since the early 1980s, the land surface at Noltland has dropped by up to 10m (33ft)  .....     

The dig is being led by Hazel Moore and Graeme Wilson, a wife and husband team hired by the site's owners, the government agency Historic Scotland. They have worked on Noltland for 10 years and have watched, with mounting anxiety, as the wind has stripped the site. "It's pretty disastrous," says Moore. "It's just all going; I don't think there's anything we can do to stop it either. This is why we're here. Everything is being stripped away – it's being exposed and washed out. ......    One night, a gale sandblasted the paint off the steel container that doubles as the site office. "

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/aug/28/orkney-archaeological-site

... next weeks episode ;    Maes Howe 

Related image                               Related image 

Related image

3 people like this