Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's talk history

kmt_sesh

8 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

In the 1970s? I don't think DNA existed yet, did it?

Well yes it did- but it was not being used for archaeology not could it be easily ID - not quite sure when molecular biology took off. I remember going to field schools in the Yucatan and some of the other universities were collecting blood types from the local inhabitants.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

It didn't, but you know how people are. Invent a new thing and we will stick it everywhere. 

Just ended up with DNA all over everything. 

On 7/26/2017 at 7:51 PM, back to earth said:

Hey !     I was trained in the 70s  ... nothing wrong with that !

Reveal hidden contents

During my reading this evening you received several 'attaboys' from me. That vid erased all of them, including many in the future.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gaden said:

During my reading this evening you received several 'attaboys' from me. That vid erased all of them, including many in the future.

I don't want to reveal the hidden content and give it away for other readers, so let me just say, that video depicts one of the most culturally crass mistakes mankind ever devised and was an unforgivable offense to decorum.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2017 at 11:40 AM, kmt_sesh said:

No .  DNA only came into existence after humans discovered it . 

On 7/27/2017 at 11:45 AM, Hanslune said:

Yes but this is the major thing you learned from training

s-l500.jpg

No it wasnt .   Maybe it was YOUR major thing  , but  we were too busy developing ways to increase intelligence by mucking around with this chemical formula    C20 H25 NO  .

• Like 1

LSD? Old hat the most interesting stuff I made in a chem lab was a small amount of gun cotton

9 minutes ago, back to earth said:

No .  DNA only came into existence after humans discovered it . 

That's what I thought. It's like that old Calvin and Hobbes comic strip in which the dad convinces Calvin everything in the world was black and white until color television was invented.

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

I don't want to reveal the hidden content and give it away for other readers, so let me just say, that video depicts one of the most culturally crass mistakes mankind ever devised and was an unforgivable offense to decorum.

Hey  :angry: 

Sometimes you  Yanks get soooooooooo   jealous of us Aussies  !    ... and our innovations 

Spoiler

Image result for The bee gees

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

LSD? Old hat the most interesting stuff I made in a chem lab was a small amount of gun cotton

No ... changing that formula to make a new molecule .     

Dont know if this will play in your country or not  ?  ; 

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/the-lazy-lizard-school-of-hedonism/5840a304fbf03dab2226759b

Image result for hamilton's pharmacopeia lazy lizard school

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Morris

14 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

That's what I thought. It's like that old Calvin and Hobbes comic strip in which the dad convinces Calvin everything in the world was black and white until color television was invented.

The following  is a true story ;   kids watching an old b&w '  horror movie on tv  " You kids getting scared ? "

" Nah , This movie is stupid , its dumb and not scary, its not even in color ! "

I watch it for a bit ; " Well. you notice how they dont have cars in it, but horse and carriages and no street lights but gas lanterns ?"

"  Yeah . "

" Well, back when they only had horse and carts and gaslight  ,of course, the tvs were only b&w, so why make the movie in color ? "

"  Oh yeah ... 'suppose so . "     .... they go back to mindless watching it  ...

"  .... 'cause they had no electricity . "

"  ... Mmmm hmmm  ....  "   still mindlessly watching it  .

I go outside to play in the sunshine . 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, back to earth said:

Hey  :angry: 

Sometimes you  Yanks get soooooooooo   jealous of us Aussies  !    ... and our innovations 

Hide contents

Image result for The bee gees

Well, that supprts the LSD reference.

• Like 4

Another 'new' idea about the Sphinx from the the same cast of characters

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/robert-schoch-robert-bauval-and-a-dermatologist-claim-to-have-hieroglyphic-evidence-that-the-sphinx-predates-the-pyramids

Last month, three authors, two of whom are well known to us, paid a Chinese publisher to review and publish an academic article claiming that the Sphinx predates dynastic Egypt based on a word and a hieroglyph. Before we examine the article itself, it’s worth saying a word about Scientific Research Publishing, a Chinese-owned mass-producer of more than 200 low-quality academic journals such as Archaeological Discovery, in which this article appeared. Scientific Research Publishing of Wuhan, China uses bulk email to solicit academic articles, which it then charges the authors to publish. While this is not, strictly speaking, unethical (some respected open access journals charge publication fees), the company’s business model is essentially to make huge profits by charging fees for every article published while exercising minimal quality control. According to published accounts, the company has reprinted articles from other journals without permission, named scholars to its editorial board without their knowledge or consent, and even accepted an article created by a random text generator. One title’s entire editorial board resigned over ethical concerns.

• Like 1

There's an article on Irna's site about this sort of thing - that is, supposed academic journals charging fees to authors for publication.

Edited by Windowpane
clarification and syntax
  • Like 1

New study proposes Ancient Egyptian domesticated cats were of different subgroup to Middle Eastern ancient felines; the Egyptians may have played concurrent but independent role in their domestication or furtherance thereof.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06/ancient-egyptians-may-have-given-cats-personality-conquer-world

59820420b9641_catinegypt.jpg.f47e33dc0270f7e8ded6611ba3b38d45.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/27/2017 at 9:47 PM, kmt_sesh said:

...that's not true?

I just don't think the data supports that allegation.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2

Oh yeah?

Explain "...purple mountains' majesty..." to me then.

Harte

• Like 1

On August 2, 2017 at 5:48 PM, Harte said:

Oh yeah?

Explain "...purple mountains' majesty..." to me then.

Harte

That was edited after the introduction of color TV, and hence color to the rest of the world. The original line was "nurple mountain majesty."

"America the Beautiful" used to be a rowdy bar song.

• Like 1

On August 2, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Khaemwaset said:

New study proposes Ancient Egyptian domesticated cats were of different subgroup to Middle Eastern ancient felines; the Egyptians may have played concurrent but independent role in their domestication or furtherance thereof.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06/ancient-egyptians-may-have-given-cats-personality-conquer-world

That is a really interesting article. Thanks for posting it. I'm an unabashed cat guy.

All must bow to our benevolent Feline Overlords!

8 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

That was edited after the introduction of color TV, and hence color to the rest of the world. The original line was "nurple mountain majesty."

"America the Beautiful" used to be a rowdy bar song.

I was going to say something about Deaths realm and how certain shade of black could almost be a purple. 

But only one person would get the Pratchett reference so... I explained the joke. Which is funny. 

On 8/2/2017 at 9:56 AM, Khaemwaset said:

Nice Arab cat! My own is of the same breed which I brought back to the US - note the striped tail. A feisty creature which takes cat independence to an extreme.

10 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Nice Arab cat! My own is of the same breed which I brought back to the US - note the striped tail. A feisty creature which takes cat independence to an extreme.

What did you name the kitty?

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked