Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Continued belief in a flat Earth

stereologist

On 3/22/2017 at 11:39 PM, stereologist said:

Looking at the flat earth view of the Sun and inner planets I realize a problem. How do they get Mercury and Venus to be visible only part of the year?

Like I said earlier .....  'strange fluctuations in time and space '   ;)   - that do not apply at other times .... only when they  get asked tricky questions like that one :D     and the one about my observations of the South Celestial Pole   :D  

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 7:38 AM, preacherman76 said:

Wouldn't the sun set everywhere at the same time if the earth was flat? How do they get around (pun intended) that?

'strange fluctuations ' in time ;) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, I hide behind words said:

Well reaching is one thing buy reality is going alone trying to cross it will get you killed by the baren cold not even the hardy folk of the tundra could survive in.

So their is some truth in it which holds up according to unadulterated human logic that remains unindoctrinated in modern science. So don't knock it for this in part led toward human dominance and allowed for science to find a bedrock. 

Would we cut out our brain stem because the frontal lobes are the latest form of win?

And some good questions here for the Sun and Venus. Likely they have their own opinions again based on logic alone. If we don't know all their beliefs our goal of skeptic dominance over all is failing. 

Wissenschaft Uber Alles!!!

Ummm ... you are doing  'that thing'   again  . 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:06 AM, I hide behind words said:

There is no validity in the us versus them narrative or black and white thinking either. Right and wrong, true and false all illusions. 

But it was a truth that evolved within us and helped humanity carry on. And still some consider it truth. But it has no value for our survival in a post-industrial society.

So maybe you are right but at what price? 

And fairytales for their day were the primary sources of spreading generalized information for safety when we made it out the jungle but were still in the forest. But trees have always been our safe harbor from the time we came crawling out the ocean and jumped right up into them. 

But hey even fundie pastors will scream at me saying we are not monkeys. But I will know I was there too as all my ancestors. And when he is ready he can come out that tree and quit his chest beating. 

We are in this together. I know what you are saying and don't disagree but understand where you and the rest of us came from. So while you tell flat earthers they are behind the times I gently remind you the same can be said of you by the very fact if insisting right and wrong and truth and fact are static state concepts with the added notion of you always being right and others are wrong. The first part is true but to also make it mean another is wrong is not up to sniff.

But dude it is a suckers choice when someone tells me I only have two choices. There are always options and we take better advantage of them when allowing our choices to be made in the prefrontal cortex using critical thinking. 

But even I have my monkey shine moments when acting in the lower limbic  (mammalian) or stem (reptilian)  foundation of our brains.

Each of those served their purpose in our evolution but i digress. 

You are right. So are they. You are wrong. So am I. It is being human bro.

And when we learn to rise above right and wrong we will also not react to fight or flight response. Ya it saved our butts when shtf every moment in the jungle.

But it is overkill here in modern society and takes away from critical thinking. 

Cheers, from your slithery friend, forked tongue and all. Last switch of the track now if still on this train wreck of a post. Eat the apple your eyes will open and you will see. But you are also the apple and it is time to fall off the tree. Be sure to hit Newton on the way down. 

Wow, Great post. This doesn't often happen with new posters, but I'm looking forward to reading more of your thoughts. Hope ya stick around.

edit to add, sorry, I guess you are not new at all. Name change?

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 2

There are difinitive advantage for people the earth are flat or square in china, cause we made imaginer line longitude and altitude and we make a map more square /flat map (not 3d map).

So when we riducle them who said earth are flat but we use that flat concept (2D) to make map.

Edited by Daimond25

On 22/03/2017 at 0:43 PM, back to earth said:

You want to see that  ?  If you were here, we could sit around the fire and could close your eyes and see it as I told you.

But here I will just wrote it and maybe you can imagine as you read. 

" .... nothing but Ungud the Earth Serpent . Ungud would lie there and look up to Wallenganda , the  Sky Serpent , what others call 'The Milky Way'  .  Wallenganda was a huge black snake , a river meandering across the sky, and all the little  stars  (  translated ; English - 'star' , but in Bundjalung the word is 'oo - ahhh '     :) )   .. and all the 'oo-ahhhs'  are the campfires of all of Wallenganda's children, camped along the banks of the river , that was her body . 

Wallengand saw Ungud  looking at at her , and she   " What you lookin at !  Why you starin at me ! "

And Ungud said ' I am looking because you look so beautiful , up there in the sky, with all your children around you . But , poor old Ungud, he is down , he has no children and I am all alone . "

So then , Wallenganda felt  sorry for Ungud , she lowered her head towards the earth and spat some of her water down on on good. 

Ungud gathered the water together, he 'made it deep' , then he dived down through the surface of the sand taking the water with him.

On the flat surface, where he dived through, he left behind a big sand hill , that turned to stone - Uluru ;

Related image +

And in that water , he curled up and went to sleep ..... and while he was asleep he started to dream  ....."

-better stop there , this could go for weeks , but in the  story  THIS is where the Dreamtime starts , it goes on and describes the formation of the land , the separation of the water out of the land to form the  seas , and many many things.

The story ends ; .... and one day , that big snake sleeping under the ground ..... dreaming all this  ( gestures to horizons ) and all of us  ( thumps own chest and others chests listening ) .  . .  he will wake up ! And the dream be finished , and all this , you and me , gone . 

(Insert whatever Buddhist philosophical views about  the 'nature of reality' and perception and scientific views about water coming to earth on a comet   and an ancient inland sea and The Great Artesian  Basin (in Australia ) , as you  will   ;)  )

part of the story, Ungud multiplies himself into many rainbow serpents that tunnel through the ground, out from Uluru  ( 'Aussie central station'  :)  ) leaving ' dreaming tunnels ' in a network across the land - a kadaicha Man ,  can travel  along them underground :) 

Brilliant!

The aborigines people's are even more beautiful than I can imagine!

A very belated and sincere thanks back to earth.  :)

• Like 1

On 22/03/2017 at 0:43 PM, back to earth said:

Or for bird attacks . I watched a butcher bird and goanna fight ; the tactics seem to be 

bird ; I will swoop in for a rear attack coming straight up the spine and peck you in the base of the skull where it meets the spine .

lizard : I will try to turn my head from side to side a little so I can see you, and clout you with my tail as you try a rear attack. 

:) - went on for ages. 

Aha !     " Taniwah  gungarli  nungungali  yumbar yulladurra !  "    .... maybe ?  

Thank you ,   its my medium, writing is restrictive to me . 

[One time I was telling a story in a gunya,  ( cause an elder knew what happened and directed me to tell the story to others - it was abut a fight some of us had with loggers near a sacred site they wanted to trash ) - peeps did seem entranced during it . Part of the story  had  a fight in it , by then I was standing and gesturing and miming ... then I noticed someone behind me !  URK !   What's this guy up to , he's going a little nutso , so I just moved away a little bit  and continued, he calmed down and sat down   < shrug >  ......  sometimes, who knows what the hell is going on with people from such a vastly different cultural background ? 

Afterwards he was;  'Sorry about interrupting your story, I got carried away ."

" Thats okay , what was going on then. "

" Oh man!  Those guys ... I wanted to help you ! "

" Huh ? "

"Those guys fighting you, I could see em in the gunya, you were  fighting em off all by yourself, I  jumped up to help you."

"You mean, during my story you actually thought you saw what was happening there in the bunya by the fire  and  started to respnd physically "

" Yeah ... sorry about that ."

" Sorry !   ?   Man , thats must be one of the best compliments a story teller ever got !   "

:) 

( PS .   ' We '  won !   ;)  ) 

:o .... hahaha here I was waiting for a love story... 

... you just can't make this stuff up!

It seems you and the goanna have much in common, priceless :P.

On 22/03/2017 at 0:55 PM, back to earth said:

They speared him,   didnt they   :D 

Just like in Hebrew  kabbalistic mysticism 

Image result for kabbalah tree of life

;)

Now THAT is one hellova canoe trip !      :o

"They speared him,   didnt they   :D "

CLASSIC!  :nw: :clap:

"Now THAT is one hellova canoe trip !      :o"

True. The edge of the world is not for the faint of heart. 

On 22/03/2017 at 1:15 PM, back to earth said:

Parts of that post reminded me of a Dali painting 'Madonna and Child' ... I spent near an hour in the gallery , moving up the other end of the hall (its a giant ear ! ), standing half way ( no, it is Madonna and child ' ) and then close up   ( nope, its just a bunch of black dots with a white blob in the middle , but each one, slightly different ') ... all different images from those perspectives ... that man was genius ! 

I have always liked Dali paintings and thanks for bringing that particular one to my attention. It does impress.  It's the first I knew of it.  

Did you know that Dali was very interested in quantum physics and that madonna and child is one of his paintings inspired by the quantum world?

The dots are his interpretation of how that world might appear.

So as you examined closely the dots, you subconsciously, (perhaps?) stepped into the paints quantum dimensions.

In the context of the whole,  it's possibly a good example of how quantum "behaviour" or even quantum "feelings" affect physical reality.

I'm not trying to speak for the man himself it's just my take on it and the story of your experience with it.  It's odd that great masterpieces seem to have a personality of their own. 

I mean a painting is only complete when it is being viewed after all.  The real artwork is the person viewing it and how they react to it. (In my opinion)

I think he eyed the universe more like Ungud or even the lowly tuatara does either way he could definitely percieve things on a multi wavelength. :)

• Like 1

On 24/03/2017 at 11:13 AM, Podo said:

Not when it comes to things like a flat Earth. Sorry dude, but the Earth is objectively and provably round. No amount of hand-waving will change that.

I wonder then, is it possible that the Earth used to be flat?

If not is there any chance it will eventually flatten out?

Come to think of it, is there actually anything 'flat' in the universe?

4 hours ago, taniwha said:

No, Earth did not used to be flat. No, ot can't flatten out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Podo said:

No, Earth did not used to be flat. No, ot can't flatten out. 

I like the Earth round and my pancakes flat. 

14 hours ago, Daimond25 said:

There are difinitive advantage for people the earth are flat or square in china, cause we made imaginer line longitude and altitude and we make a map more square /flat map (not 3d map).

So when we riducle them who said earth are flat but we use that flat concept (2D) to make map.

You're confounding the tool with the object being measured, there is no advantage to this asinine reasoning.

• Like 2

I don't waste my energy trying to convert 'Flat Earthers' as they are beyond help IMO. Conspiracies rarely get as self-refuting as the Flat Earth Theory. But, to each their own, just as long as it doesn't become mainstream and poison our future generations' minds like other myths and fairy tales.

15 hours ago, taniwha said:

It sure is a challenging question to answer.  This short 2 minute video is interesting.

So it's true, flat is not naturally plentiful but curves are more so.

On 3/31/2017 at 0:49 PM, Daimond25 said:

So ?    

Do you know what a contour map is ? OR  look up what a  Goode homolosine map projection is .    

OR just peel an orange so the skin is one piece .  

And consider that a flat map is sufficient to one's purposes  instead of a slightly curved one .   .  .  .    unless you want a world map, if so, go back to line 2 above above . 

18 hours ago, taniwha said:

:o .... hahaha here I was waiting for a love story... 

... you just can't make this stuff up!

It seems you and the goanna have much in common, priceless :P.

Love story ?    Hooooooo by !  Have I got a 'love story '  ....  " How that lot of stars .... that lot there ... got formed  " < points to the star group that westerners know as 'Scorpio'  .   And is it ever a 'Scorpionic ' themed story !    

No , I dont have an explanation for that association .... or a few  other ...   Wiki states this ;

The Pleiades also figures in the Dreamings of several language groups. For example, in the central desert region, they are said to be seven sisters fleeing from the unwelcome attentions of a man represented by some of the stars in Orion. The close resemblance of this to Greek mythology is believed to be coincidental — there is no evidence of any cultural connection 

Therefore, the study of the stars is probably the oldest knowledge on earth, such that it remains an intriguing possibility that aboriginal star knowledge does contain some fragments of a much older original culture. Aboriginal people came to Australia from Asia 50,000 years ago (well before Greek culture formed 3-4,000 years ago), and presumably the Aboriginal people originally came from Africa. While there is no hard evidence of a cultural connection, the possibility should not be written off and the door is open to research to construct models of older human cultures, through the tracing of these narratives and other means such as linguistics. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_astronomy#cite_note-csiro-4

• Like 1

18 hours ago, taniwha said:

"They speared him,   didnt they   :D "

CLASSIC!  :nw: :clap:

"Now THAT is one hellova canoe trip !      :o"

True. The edge of the world is not for the faint of heart. 

Its just a point where you end  up going back the other way   :) 

Except you have become something more from your experience . I highly recommend it ! 

and also this  .....  A  Man that went to the edge of his world .... to the south .   One of best movies I have seen in a LONG time !  10/10 ! 

(  @ 1:32   :o

• Like 1

17 hours ago, taniwha said:

I have always liked Dali paintings and thanks for bringing that particular one to my attention. It does impress.  It's the first I knew of it.  

Did you know that Dali was very interested in quantum physics and that madonna and child is one of his paintings inspired by the quantum world?

Nope .  Interesting ! 

I know a  sculptor that has decorated a lot of Sydney ... he is pretty good -

( Dancing Brolgas - Circular Quay )

I went to his workshop when he was working on his model of Higgs Boson  

Image result for Terrance Plowright Higgs boson

• Like 1

17 hours ago, taniwha said:

Great question!  And one 'conundrum' I ran up against when following a similar line of thought ;

There are a few of these  around 

Image result for spherical galaxy

Spherical galaxy . 

But a lot of 

Image result for spherical galaxy

'flat ' disk ones .   ? 

http://astronomy.stackexchange.com/questions/1145/why-are-galaxies-disk-shapednd 

and 

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/148418/why-arent-there-spherical-galaxies

• Like 1