Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Continued belief in a flat Earth

stereologist

20 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I couldn't believe it when I read Shaq believed in a flat Earth!  I thought it was a joke at first.

Shaq has a doctorate degree.

Edited by I hide behind words
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, stereologist said:

The degree is in education.

I really don't think flat earth beliefs have anything to do with IQ.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glorybebe said:

I couldn't believe it when I read Shaq believed in a flat Earth!  I thought it was a joke at first.

I don't think he really does.   I think this is an inside joke.  

No intelligent person really believes the Earth is flat.  

• Like 2

Well, I believe in a flat universe.  Does that count for anything?

(I will admit, though, that it could be that the universe is so big we just simply don't have the tools to detect any curvature).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

Well, I believe in a flat universe.  Does that count for anything?

(I will admit, though, that it could be that the universe is so big we just simply don't have the tools to detect any curvature).

Are you a secret member of the Flat Universe Society?

... :ph34r:

Stay clear of the edge of the Universe. Here there be dragons...

https://m.facebook.com/The-Flat-Universe-Society-116743105074405/

Instinctively I like the curved universe variety, of which no society appears to have emerged yet.

There is something sexy about curves and the universe is strangely appealing...:wub:

Maybe the universe simply changes shape?  If it didn't then would that mean it's shape can be considered as a universal constant?  It still appears to be moving so logically speaking, why would it be stuck to one particular shape? 

There are a majority of spherical curves in the heavens, as if that even counts for anything. :rolleyes:

Wait...Maybe the universe looks like a GIANT spiral galaxy...

The problem is it is hard to 'sense' a flat universe based on our perceptions of everyday 'flatness'.

The moon looks flat. Is it?  Perspective can change everything.  Maybe from far enough away, even a spherical universe would appear as a disc.  And further away than that it might appear as just a brillant pin hole of light peeping through the darkness, and much much much further away still it would appear not to exist at all. :rofl:

By the way you can experience the sheer beauty of the last scenario simply by just standing there with your eyes closed... the same technique flat earthers use to view the world. :P

• Like 4

I think I like the idea of the universe being flat (Euclidean) because that implies it is endless -- never comes to an end.  That just boggles my mind, especially because that in turn implies that the so-called "tiny" little thing that the universe started out as at the Big Bang was also infinite and all we've been doing is making more space between things, but not enlarging.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:24 AM, taniwha said:

If we were brought up to think the earth was a cube would we believe it too?

It's interesting what knowledge we take for granted.

Can you honestly say, hand on heart you know what shape the Earth is?  

Then tell me how it is you know such things.

You might surprise yourself with your own answer.

If we ignore photos from space and astronaut testimony, there are still several ways to tell the shape of the Earth.  Here are a couple

1 - In 1926 Michelson, Gale and Pearson conducted an experiment that proved the Earth rotates

2 - This youtube video shows how the coriolis effect, affects bullets.  The coriolis effect only exists on a spherical world that is rotating. 

• Like 6

On 3/15/2017 at 11:24 PM, back to earth said:

How can I resist ;

* bad language warning * 

Reveal hidden contents

This was probably in the top 5 dumbest vids I've seen, but, the Hawking part was hilarious.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone needs to post proof that the Earth is round.    

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think anyone needs to post proof that the Earth is round.    

What it shows is that the information is available to all of us. There are many reasons to know that the world is not flat.  The shape of the Earth is something that we can all appreciate. It also gives us insight into the reasons used by people from a long time ago and how they reasoned that the Earth was a ball.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2017 at 9:26 PM, taniwha said:

Yep. Seems so much closer through a telescope though! :rolleyes:

Okay then  .....   what do you see when you point your telescope at   9000' 00 "   Celestial South    ?        ;)  

On 3/20/2017 at 10:41 PM, taniwha said:

I love how the universe is revealed through ancient stories.  

If only, to see what Ungud could see...

You want to see that  ?  If you were here, we could sit around the fire and could close your eyes and see it as I told you.

But here I will just wrote it and maybe you can imagine as you read. 

" .... nothing but Ungud the Earth Serpent . Ungud would lie there and look up to Wallenganda , the  Sky Serpent , what others call 'The Milky Way'  .  Wallenganda was a huge black snake , a river meandering across the sky, and all the little  stars  (  translated ; English - 'star' , but in Bundjalung the word is 'oo - ahhh '     :) )   .. and all the 'oo-ahhhs'  are the campfires of all of Wallenganda's children, camped along the banks of the river , that was her body . 

Wallengand saw Ungud  looking at at her , and she   " What you lookin at !  Why you starin at me ! "

And Ungud said ' I am looking because you look so beautiful , up there in the sky, with all your children around you . But , poor old Ungud, he is down , he has no children and I am all alone . "

So then , Wallenganda felt  sorry for Ungud , she lowered her head towards the earth and spat some of her water down on on good. 

Ungud gathered the water together, he 'made it deep' , then he dived down through the surface of the sand taking the water with him.

On the flat surface, where he dived through, he left behind a big sand hill , that turned to stone - Uluru ;

Related image 

And in that water , he curled up and went to sleep ..... and while he was asleep he started to dream  ....."

-better stop there , this could go for weeks , but in the  story  THIS is where the Dreamtime starts , it goes on and describes the formation of the land , the separation of the water out of the land to form the  seas , and many many things.

The story ends ; .... and one day , that big snake sleeping under the ground ..... dreaming all this  ( gestures to horizons ) and all of us  ( thumps own chest and others chests listening ) .  . .  he will wake up ! And the dream be finished , and all this , you and me , gone . 

(Insert whatever Buddhist philosophical views about  the 'nature of reality' and perception and scientific views about water coming to earth on a comet   and an ancient inland sea and The Great Artesian  Basin (in Australia ) , as you  will   ;)  )

*   part of the story, Ungud multiplies himself into many rainbow serpents that tunnel through the ground, out from Uluru  ( 'Aussie central station'  :)  ) leaving ' dreaming tunnels ' in a network across the land - a kadaicha Man ,  can travel  along them underground :) 

Curiously enough, Ive wondered if the tuataras prehistoric third eye was ever used for stargazing. It was situated in the top of it's head, an ideal spot for an observatory!  

Or for bird attacks . I watched a butcher bird and goanna fight ; the tactics seem to be 

bird ; I will swoop in for a rear attack coming straight up the spine and peck you in the base of the skull where it meets the spine .

lizard : I will try to turn my head from side to side a little so I can see you, and clout you with my tail as you try a rear attack. 

:) - went on for ages. 

There can be something primitive about watching the stars, it gives me sort of reptilian goosebumps, I think I can relate to that earth serpent of old :innocent: 

Aha !     " Taniwah  gungarli  nungungali  yumbar yulladurra !  "    .... maybe ?  

By the way brother you are a very good storyteller :)

Thank you ,   its my medium, writing is restrictive to me . 

[One time I was telling a story in a gunya,  ( cause an elder knew what happened and directed me to tell the story to others - it was abut a fight some of us had with loggers near a sacred site they wanted to trash ) - peeps did seem entranced during it . Part of the story  had  a fight in it , by then I was standing and gesturing and miming ... then I noticed someone behind me !  URK !   What's this guy up to , he's going a little nutso , so I just moved away a little bit  and continued, he calmed down and sat down   < shrug >  ......  sometimes, who knows what the hell is going on with people from such a vastly different cultural background ? 

Afterwards he was;  'Sorry about interrupting your story, I got carried away ."

" Thats okay , what was going on then. "

" Oh man!  Those guys ... I wanted to help you ! "

" Huh ? "

"Those guys fighting you, I could see em in the gunya, you were  fighting em off all by yourself, I  jumped up to help you."

"You mean, during my story you actually thought you saw what was happening there in the bunya by the fire  and  started to respnd physically "

" Yeah ... sorry about that ."

" Sorry !   ?   Man , thats must be one of the best compliments a story teller ever got !   "

:) 

( PS .   ' We '  won !   ;)  ) 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2017 at 11:35 PM, taniwha said:

One method of measure I heard of was the hand span.  I think this is how it worked... so many spans from horizon to horizon with gaps between each finger the regular time intervals.

Oral maori tradition tells stories of transpacific trading for Kumara as far east as South America...

http://i.stuff.co.nz/science/8213421/Kumara-origin-points-to-pan-Pacific-voyage

Interesting article ! Thanks .

It wasnt until the 1970s or so that modern science caught up with some of their knowledge. Before then,  It was thought impossible for them to go back and forward to Sth America  due to the prevailing winds and currents, they all go  from west to east, and that affirms the pattern of settlement expansion. 

Old Polynesian " No, we just wait till it all turns back the other way, we wait , sometimes many years , but it happens, and we can tell from signs in nature when the year is right for it. "

Ri i g h t !   Crazy old Islander !   - but then we 'discovered' the El Nino La NIna   fluctuations          ;) 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2017 at 0:14 AM, taniwha said:

Perhaps not.  I wonder then how they reacted when Captain Cook told them it was so?

They speared him,   didnt they   :D 

No doubts they were capable of putting observation into calculated practice.  Did they even think the earth was suspended in the heavens?

Did they know that the earth was the biggest waka of all?

There were at least 10 dimensions to the heavens that could only be reached via powerful magical spells, trials and tribulations.

Just like in Hebrew  kabbalistic mysticism 

Image result for kabbalah tree of life

;)

I guess one effect the universe has on all cultures is a natural tendency to question the how's and whys of things.

One thing I do know is that the great southern  realm of white snow and ice was named by Polynesian navigators. We know this through oral tradition. 

We call it Antarctica.  The name they gave it eludes me...

Now THAT is one hellova canoe trip !      :o

• Like 2

On 3/21/2017 at 4:31 AM, I hide behind words said:

Here is how a flat earth map looks like minus the ice ring along the edges.

theworld_1.jpg

No, not really , that is a type of 'map projection ' ;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_map_projections

( Hint , it takes 2 hrs to fly from Sydney to New Zealand   ;) .... oh, thats right , I forgot ; flat earthers claim time, space and gravity anomalies for their ideas to 'work'     ^_^  ) 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2017 at 4:35 AM, I hide behind words said:

Shaq has a doctorate degree.

I knew a guy that had one of those ... crazy as a loon  !  I also know guys that have them and are not crazy, peeps that do not have them that are crazy and peeps that do not have them and are not crazy . 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2017 at 6:28 AM, Myles said:

I don't think he really does.   I think this is an inside joke.  

No intelligent person really believes the Earth is flat.  

'Aids'    does .....  did you miss my video ?   :( 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, taniwha said:

Are you a secret member of the Flat Universe Society?

... :ph34r:

https://m.facebook.com/The-Flat-Universe-Society-116743105074405/

Instinctively I like the curved universe variety, of which no society appears to have emerged yet.

There is something sexy about curves and the universe is strangely appealing...:wub:

Maybe the universe simply changes shape?  If it didn't then would that mean it's shape can be considered as a universal constant?  It still appears to be moving so logically speaking, why would it be stuck to one particular shape? 

There are a majority of spherical curves in the heavens, as if that even counts for anything. :rolleyes:

Wait...Maybe the universe looks like a GIANT spiral galaxy...

The problem is it is hard to 'sense' a flat universe based on our perceptions of everyday 'flatness'.

The moon looks flat. Is it?  Perspective can change everything.  Maybe from far enough away, even a spherical universe would appear as a disc.  And further away than that it might appear as just a brillant pin hole of light peeping through the darkness, and much much much further away still it would appear not to exist at all. :rofl:

By the way you can experience the sheer beauty of the last scenario simply by just standing there with your eyes closed... the same technique flat earthers use to view the world. :P

Parts of that post reminded me of a Dali painting 'Madonna and Child' ... I spent near an hour in the gallery , moving up the other end of the hall (its a giant ear ! ), standing half way ( no, it is Madonna and child ' ) and then close up   ( nope, its just a bunch of black dots with a white blob in the middle , but each one, slightly different ') ... all different images from those perspectives ... that man was genius ! 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2017 at 8:26 PM, back to earth said:

" ....   and , why is it we cant go to Antarctica ? "       :D  :D    

Flat earthers believe there in no south pole, and that Antarctica works as a barrier around the flat round earth, trapping the oceans in from spilling into space. They believe many people who have seen the true edge of the world are killed off in order to silence them. They have many excuses not to believe obvious reasoning. Their made up map is actually interesting to look at lol.

flatearth3.jpg

• Like 1

Shame none of em ever lived 'down ' here and saw the stars rotating around the south celestial pole .

I wonder how they explain that one !   :D  

Oh yeah, and those guys that crossed Antarctica, they were just going in straight line all along that ring around the whole world, but somehow, time and distance and speed did this special  'wibbly wob'  that just happened to work out at the same rates as if they were crossing the very bottom of a flattened spheroid  !   WOW  !  

Image result for curly joe gif

6 hours ago, back to earth said:

No, not really , that is a type of 'map projection ' ;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_map_projections

( Hint , it takes 2 hrs to fly from Sydney to New Zealand   ;) .... oh, thats right , I forgot ; flat earthers claim time, space and gravity anomalies for their ideas to 'work'     ^_^  ) 

I also claim those illusory forces such as time which is due to gravity  (not the apple falling but a greater gravity akin to the moon orbiting and then us around the sun).

Gravity goes from top to bottom herein the surface but always falling around us as in the moon.

But all that with the understanding that this is all a simulation. The globe is nice and as good as a city map when compared to the globe.

Reality is beyond all that for a better map would also chart time and space...it would make our globe lacking as a city map is for it only contains narrow information within local boundaries.

Now imagine the sphere but then add those papermen who hold hands after cutting one and opening it.

Each man in that chain is you for every second. And then make more paper men chains for all other life. This would be a step up.

Even that is too linear and again time in one direction from past to future is illusion.

But it would be a start if including those links but for spheres too. Each link would again represent the earth in all it's phases from formation to end...

tl;dr version the globe we have now is pretty flat and in the future we will have a more dynamic map which includes space and time

6 hours ago, back to earth said:

I knew a guy that had one of those ... crazy as a loon  !  I also know guys that have them and are not crazy, peeps that do not have them that are crazy and peeps that do not have them and are not crazy . 

Education if taken as knowledge that transforms and forms us and not just by rote can be maddening. Einstein was probably bat spit crazy. 

Of course some without formal education are still plagued by the madness of Solomon's vanity but lack discipline. Raptor Witness either has a PhD but ignores the discipline or is the lay genius type and lacks it for never learning it.

The dude is a genius and the more people disagree with him the more it is proven to my observing eyes. 

tl;dr Raptor Witness is a genius. And all those we disagree with most teach us as part of that kind of antagonisctic discourse.

5 hours ago, CJ1983 said:

Flat earthers believe there in no south pole, and that Antarctica works as a barrier around the flat round earth, trapping the oceans in from spilling into space. They believe many people who have seen the true edge of the world are killed off in order to silence them. They have many excuses not to believe obvious reasoning. Their made up map is actually interesting to look at lol.

flatearth3.jpg

Most know the closest way from A to B on a map is to fold it.

We can do same here and now. 

So another manipulation of the simulation we are in would be to make the Earth flat as the map above shows. 

The another to turn it inside out so the north pole is now the edge. 

And as an atom can be in two places at once so would the two entangled Earths I just described.

But as i have been fanciful let me continue to say I would prefer a Mobius Strip Earth shape. Except your twin is always on the other side and as you move they move so we never meet.

Warning, don't open the hidden text unless you agree to read it as it is a spell for someone. 

....until now as I am digging a hole under someone who used to wonder about doing it themselves to reach China. But instead of China you will end up meeting your other self but not in person at first. Expect it to happen soon when someone reading this will begin to think using both their's and their twin's mind. 

Please let me know when it happens...you will be confused at first.

14 hours ago, Quaentum said:

If we ignore photos from space and astronaut testimony, there are still several ways to tell the shape of the Earth.  Here are a couple

1 - In 1926 Michelson, Gale and Pearson conducted an experiment that proved the Earth rotates

2 - This youtube video shows how the coriolis effect, affects bullets.  The coriolis effect only exists on a spherical world that is rotating. 

Awesome vid. I will tell my father if he knew about it as he once shot a target 1000 feet away in the army. He got expert rifleman too just in general and takes pride in that. Sadly every marine is one but I haven't told him.

• Like 1