Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The human calculator

UM-Bot

Scott Flansburg can calculate just about anything in his head without needing a calculator.

• Like 2

My apologies to those of you who can't watch videos, because this little 5 year old is awesome.

• Like 1

I find this fascinating as I can't seem to hold numbers in my head while I am trying to calculate the answers.  I can only do simple basic mental arithmetic in my head to calculate things like money, distances and measurements, but never ever understood algebra, trigonometry or calculus.  I have good spatial awareness and can read maps and other sorts of drawn plans?  But I am unable to hold a tune myself but can hear when others miss a note.  However I see words with no trouble at all and have always been a good speller and understood grammar and punctuation far better than my peers as a child (though most caught up as we grew up).  

Is it just down to how the brain is wired, as I have read that music and maths go together?  Or does teaching play more of a part?  My father was brilliant at maths, but could not hold a tune either, seemingly disproving the music and maths link, and he could never understand why I couldn't grasp equations and the like.  Videos certainly amazing.  I envy those with good numbers skills.