Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump's Budget for 2018

Claire.

Trump’s Budget Is Out. Now the Lobbying Begins.

President Trump’s proposal on Thursday for deep cuts to the budgets of a broad swath of the federal bureaucracy was billed as a necessary corrective to the growth of the government’s power. But even members of his own party questioned some of the cuts — and what was not being cut. More expected cries of alarm came from scientists, human rights advocates, teachers, diplomats, artists and workers.

It is Mr. Trump’s first major attempt to dismantle what his aides dismissively call the “administrative state.” The $1.1 trillion spending plan envisions deep cuts to many government programs while leaving entitlement programs like Social Security untouched. It increases spending on the military and border security. Mr. Trump was elected on a promise to wage war against what he has frequently mocked as a bloated and ineffective federal work force, and he is betting that his first budget will help consolidate support by calling for a significant shift of resources away from established programs that aid the poor, the environment, foreigners and the arts.

Read more: The New York Times

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Claire. said:

More expected cries of alarm came from scientists, human rights advocates, teachers, diplomats, artists and workers.

lol at diplomats and artists included among that. yes, artists really have a right to expect bags of cash from him don't they, as they've been so supportive of him. And diplomats? America still has some diplomats? :unsure: 

• Like 3

Who Wins and Loses in Trump’s Proposed Budget
President Trump released a partial outline of his 2018 budget on Thursday, proposing billions of dollars in spending cuts to most government agencies to pay for large increases in military and homeland security spending, resulting in a 1.2 percent cut in discretionary spending over all.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

lol at diplomats and artists included among that. yes, artists really have a right to expect bags of cash from him don't they, as they've been so supportive of him. And diplomats? America still has some diplomats? :unsure: 

Artists include writers. Arguably the most important group in any civilised society. Definitely in the top two.

Which brings me to the other group. He has really mauled the science budgets. It's scary just how anti science this government is. And I mean that it actually should induce fear.

The only ones who weren't cut were NASA. But we all know he just wants to mine the moon and asteroids for profit. He probably got the idea from watching Avatar, where he was no doubt rooting for the corporations.

• Like 3

Well ... Sparky has got to figure out how to pay for America's share of the costs on a lengthy and high wall ...

• Like 3

If you’re a poor person in America, President Trump’s budget proposal is not for you.

Trump has unveiled a budget that would slash or abolish programs that have provided low-income Americans with help on virtually all fronts, including affordable housing, banking, weatherizing homes, job training, paying home heating oil bills, and obtaining legal counsel in civil matters.

During the presidential campaign last year, Trump vowed that the solution to poverty was giving poor people incentives to work. But most of the proposed cuts in his budget target programs designed to help the working poor, as well as those who are jobless, cope.

Read more: The Washington Post

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Claire. said:

Who Wins and Loses in Trump’s Proposed Budget
President Trump released a partial outline of his 2018 budget on Thursday, proposing billions of dollars in spending cuts to most government agencies to pay for large increases in military and homeland security spending, resulting in a 1.2 percent cut in discretionary spending over all.

Oh I see.   The 521.7 was what wasn't high enough.   

New Rule:  Anyone who can't defend America on <=$500B/yr has no business defending America.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Yamato said:

Oh I see.   The 521.7 was what wasn't high enough.   

New Rule:  Anyone who can't defend America on <=$500B/yr has no business defending America.

But how can you have an effective defence if you don't spend more than the next 9 countries combined ? :innocent: 

tEEnnWinoOjovp-WSus2tpA8SqM_RYQWCYqAZ35qqFo.jpg?w=640&s=27381f816b091e4b6aac0f69bc3355ec

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

But how can you have an effective defence if you don't spend more than the next 9 countries combined ? :innocent: 

tEEnnWinoOjovp-WSus2tpA8SqM_RYQWCYqAZ35qqFo.jpg?w=640&s=27381f816b091e4b6aac0f69bc3355ec

That's not even defence, it's "defence".  It's military waste.  

Looks at least $300B too high.   I'd rather listen to the PC fear, hate and anger from a budget of $297.5B/yr.   There's no concept of bang for the buck or pound for pound when it comes to US politicians budgeting the US military.  The US military should be Roy Jones Jr not Manny Yarbrough

But don't ask me, because I'd rather watch Donald Trump invite a Saudi royal to dinner with an Iranian, a Syrian and a Palestinian at the table.

• Like 1

Half the posters in here are going to be needing meals on wheels more sooner than later..lets see how they feel about the budget then!

• Like 2

I'd have liked to see cuts across the board, including Defense. I say we get the Deficit and Debt going the right direction and then review what can be spent on the military and the arts. Get American exporting again. Get America educated again. Get America working again. Get America out of foreign quagmires.

• Like 3

If early indications hold true, it seems an $800 billion dollar savings in health care is divided roughly into $300 billion to reduce the deficit and $500 billion as a tax break that favors high income individuals.  Why not put the whole amount into reducing the 20 trillion dollar deficit?  If my family pays more to reduce the deficit, I can live with it.  I can even afford to shoulder a little more for those who can't pay.   But if I pay to give my bosses boss a tax cut, that doesn't sit too well. 

President Trump's chump spokesmen said we can't ask single moms and coal miners to pay to support CPB.   How then are we are going to ask them for 10 times as much for a tax cut for the top 1%?  In Trump's own words, sad and outrageous.

12 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Get American exporting again. Get America educated again. Get America working again. Get America out of foreign quagmires.

I could vote for someone like you.

• Like 1

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

Artists include writers. Arguably the most important group in any civilised society. Definitely in the top two.

Which brings me to the other group. He has really mauled the science budgets. It's scary just how anti science this government is. And I mean that it actually should induce fear.

The only ones who weren't cut were NASA. But we all know he just wants to mine the moon and asteroids for profit. He probably got the idea from watching Avatar, where he was no doubt rooting for the corporations.

Is this a comedy post - or have you now abandoned all reason as you sink deeper and deeper into your world
of Tump Hating .. :) 

Jeff Bezos -- founder of Amazon, owner of the Washington Post, enemy of Trump (his paper tries to damage the
President of the US as much as possible)...... wants to go to the moon - if he is looking for favours from the Trump
Administration perhaps he should have thought a bit more clearly about his ambitions before he started trying to
destroy the President...?....

http://www.blastr.com/2017-3-10/jeff-bezos-blue-origin-colonize-moon

The space exploratory focus is slowly shifting back to the moon, and now Jeff Bezos' space firm Blue Origin is making a pitch to be a key player in the process. Put simply: Blue Origin wants to help colonize the moon.

The Washington Post reports Blue Origin has generated a white paper that's been passed on to President Trump's administration, as well as NASA leadership, urging the space agency to create new incentives and a program framework for a long-term plan to eventually establish a permanent lunar base.

30 minutes ago, bee said:

Is this a comedy post - or have you now abandoned all reason as you sink deeper and deeper into your world
of Tump Hating .. :) 

Jeff Bezos -- founder of Amazon, owner of the Washington Post, enemy of Trump (his paper tries to damage the
President of the US as much as possible)...... wants to go to the moon - if he is looking for favours from the Trump
Administration perhaps he should have thought a bit more clearly about his ambitions before he started trying to
destroy the President...?....

http://www.blastr.com/2017-3-10/jeff-bezos-blue-origin-colonize-moon

I'm not sure what is supposed to be funny about it. Trump has stated that he likes NASA and the noise coming from his administration says he'd prefer the Moon to Mars for a base (his advisor wants to mine it). 

Sad that you are still defending the man at every step. 

14 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

They need to cut the waste and contractor frauds in defense budget!

19 hours ago, aztek said:

i like that he did not touch SS, at least for now

Just meals on wheels and energy assistance to the low income seniors who rely on it to survive!

• Like 1

...........a few states use a small portion of their HUD CDBG money to fund Meals on Wheels. Actually, small isn't the right word. Microscopic is the the right word. Elderly nutrition programs like Meals on Wheels receive about $700 million from other government sources—most of which aren't targeted one way or the other in the Trump budget—but hardly anything from CDBG grants.

...Meals on Wheels is not a federal program. It's part of the CDBGs, the block grants, that we give to the states. And there have been many states that have made the decision to use that money for Meals on Wheels.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/03/meals

• Like 3

Calculations show four programmes that face elimination - which tackle homelessness, unemployment among over-55s, participation in the arts and helping the poor access higher education - could be maintained at the cost of the President’s trips to his private Florida resort over the course of four years.

The services amount to a total of $597 million — just less than the $600 million security arrangements for the Mr Trump's Mar-a-Lago visits are estimated to cost the taxpayer over the course of his term.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-budget-cuts-mar-a-lago-nea-arts-poor-elderly-meals-on-wheels-florida-weekends-us-a7634551.html

• Like 4

18 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Yes, but should they expect Government subsidy? Should you trust any that do? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

The only ones who weren't cut were NASA. But we all know he just wants to mine the moon and asteroids for profit. He probably got the idea from watching Avatar, where he was no doubt rooting for the corp

And good to see your cynicism isn't leading you to say anything dumb there. 
  • Like 2

lol, money allocated for politicians will not be cut, no matter what happens, they will cut everything else, but their budget will never be touched. that is how politics in us work.

5 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I'm not sure what is supposed to be funny about it. Trump has stated that he likes NASA and the noise coming from his administration says he'd prefer the Moon to Mars for a base (his advisor wants to mine it). 

Sad that you are still defending the man at every step. 

Right, so what ores, not obtainable on earth at much lower cost, does the Moon have that the World's #1 Supervillain would like to set up a moonbase to mine, then? You seem to base your ideas about him from Bond movies circa You Only Live Twice

• Like 2