Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

AG Sessions: It's "Stupid" to Think Marijuana

Yamato

can help fight the opioid epidemic. Research:  It may be a good idea.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions can’t believe what people are saying about marijuana and the opioid epidemic.

“I’m astonished to hear people suggest we can solve our heroin crisis — have you heard this? — by having more marijuana,” Sessions said during a speech to a gathering of law enforcement on Wednesday.

“I mean, how stupid is that? Give me a break. So we’re going to have to stand up and confront that, tell the truth here. And our nation needs to say clearly once again that using drugs is bad, that it will destroy your life.”

Sessions is refuting the claim that loosening access to marijuana could help combat the opioid epidemic. The idea: Marijuana is an effective painkiller, so it can substitute some opioid painkillers that have led to the current overdose epidemic. And since marijuana doesn’t cause deadly overdoses and is less addictive than opioids, replacing some use of opioids with pot could prevent some overdose deaths.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/16/14945064/jeff-sessions-marijuana-opioids?yptr=yahoo

bi_graphics_overdose-death-rates%20(2).p

• Like 7

He does know that there is proven scientific benefits right? Like an actual group of Sciebtists and Medical Proffessionals should go and talk with him...

but it I guess he's stuck in the Regan era of 'Just say no'.

Remember there are many ways to get the benefits from the plant and most don't have THC.

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Wow, just wow. I think it would have been useful to have included deaths from alcohol consumption as a comparison on that chart as well. I have a feeling that alcoholism kills a very large number of people...yet it's completely legal for anyone over 21. The ignorance displayed by AG Sessions is indeed profound.

Agreed, I too wish they would have included alcohol deaths. It would have made for an interesting point in the comparisons.

And not quoting the above, but making my own rambling now...

I honestly don't think MM will ever completely replace opiates, because there is indeed a difference between them and what their effects are. And I don't think Pharm will ever willingly let a drug go completely. It would be foolhardy to do and besides, they are too greedy to ever really let go. I'm also not ignorant enough to believe MM is a miracle plant that can cure all and replace all other drugs- no plant or drug can do that. But I think Pharm is putting themselves in position to put their MM goods on the market, and when they do, things like smoking MM will really get stigmatized. It is now to an extent, but it will become even more so once there are handy pills instead.

I don't think Sessions is stupid for saying it's stupid. He may be misinformed, under-informed, following the line he's supposed to follow, or might just have his opinion regardless on what information he may or may not have. He may also be broadcasting some of the early stigmatization message. It sounds a bit CTish, but I've been spouting some of the same predictions to this whole cannabis situation for a while now, and I haven't been too far off yet. The Hemp/DEA challenge going on right now is a bit of a wild card, and how it plays out might have a serious impact on the whole cannabis works.

And not opiates, but since cocaine was on the OP chart, here's an interesting tidbit of information. Insys Therapeutics started their first patient for phase 2 testing to use CBD for cocaine addiction last August.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aztek said:

he has a point, legal weed will not do much for heroin addiction, i do not see heroin addicts switch to weed. 

It would help with alcoholism though.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hatecraft said:

It would help with alcoholism though.  

i can hardly see it,  maybe it can, maybe not. 

but i do agree all drugs need ot be legal, reality showed making them illegal only made situation worst

Edited by aztek

Just now, aztek said:

I know a guy who only drinks alcohol because his employer drug tests.  He'd much rather use marijuana, but his job is too good to lose.  So, he drinks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hatecraft said:

I know a guy who only drinks alcohol because his employer drug tests.  He'd much rather use marijuana, but his job is too good to lose.  So, he drinks.

lol, some of cops i know are that way, others are brainwashed like you would not believe, just saying weed makes their faces red.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

The amount of evidence in favor of Cannabis is overwhelming. Opposing legalization now is akin to believe in flat-Earth theory: it really is that idiotic.

Edit to add--

Not to derail the thread but I just read yesterday that even though Canada's new Prime Minister ran on a platform of legalizing Marijuana, Police are raiding dispensaries in record numbers! WHY IS THIS STILL HAPPENING??

6110860540.jpg

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, rashore said:

I don't think Sessions is stupid for saying it's stupid. He may be misinformed, under-informed, following the line he's supposed to follow, or might just have his opinion regardless on what information he may or may not have. He may also be broadcasting some of the early stigmatization message.

I think it qualifies as stupid; what else would qualify him as stupid outside of just about everything you listed in the last 2 sentences?  There's a lot of overlap between 'stupid' and 'under-informed', it's pretty close to being synonymous.

It sounds a bit CTish, but I've been spouting some of the same predictions to this whole cannabis situation for a while now, and I haven't been too far off yet. 

Just curious, what 'same predictions' have you and Sessions been making that have been panning out?  Keep in mind also that he's set out a straw man in the quotes above: almost no one is saying the heroin crisis will be 'solved' by marijuana.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rashore said:

I don't think Sessions is stupid for saying it's stupid. He may be misinformed, under-informed, following the line he's supposed to follow, or might just have his opinion regardless on what information he may or may not have.

that.

• Like 2

following the line he's supposed to follow :

on behalf of big pharma and big alcohol.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Not to derail the thread but I just read yesterday that even though Canada's new Prime Minister ran on a platform of legalizing Marijuana, Police are raiding dispensaries in record numbers! WHY IS THIS STILL HAPPENING??

politics.  cops in general do not want drugs legalized. "smell of weed" is the best excuse to arrest, search ,and seize. 

Edited by aztek

8 minutes ago, aztek said:

politics.  cops in general do not want drugs legalized. "smell of weed" is the best excuse to arrest, search ,and seize. 

That doesn't work here anymore.  Although the police can ticket you for smoking marijuana in public they don't bother from what I've seen.  When you walk the streets of downtown Seattle at lunch or after work the smell of KGB is all over the place.  So nice.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That doesn't work here anymore.  Although the police can ticket you for smoking marijuana in public they don't bother from what I've seen.  When you walk the streets of downtown Seattle at lunch or after work the smell of KGB is all over the place.  So nice.

lol, it still works in entire usa, if a cop smells weed in your car (he does not really need to smell it to say he smelled it, and no way you can prove he did not smell it). he wil serarch your car, and you, if he finds anything,  prepare to be arrested for suspicion of dui, have your car impounded .

you may get off if you caught smoking on the street, or home, or where ever, but car is totaly different thing

Edited by aztek

3 hours ago, khol said:

The opioid epidemic is killing people. If marijuana can offer an alternative to someone and save a life then it should be recognized as a viable option to that person

I agree but there is a trade-off.  Youths who are looking to alter their consciousness are often open to moving forward and experimenting with different substances that an adult, for whatever reasons, did not use.  So just let it be stated that lives will be lost in this manner as well.  I have no idea what the data may say about it or how it could even be quantified but I KNOW of some who went that route who are no longer around.  On the whole, I suspect that allowing people who need to escape reality a substance that is less damaging is a benefit to them but I'm not sure if it is a benefit to the country at large.  We're trading medical and productivity costs (some,anyway) for a group of citizens that are far more casual but not necessarily as productive in life.  Don't waste your time citing a few cases of extraordinary feats of accomplishment by stoners you might know or have read of.  I accept that there are some.  I'm talking % of the whole.  It appears that this issue has come to the forefront of our national consciousness and that is good.  We need to discuss it and get past it.  If we act intelligently and actually LISTEN to each side of the arguments we may find ourselves in a better place for everyone.  I support decriminalization for all possession except amounts clearly indicating trafficking or use while operating a vehicle of any kind in public.  People should also be allowed to legally grow their own.  People who have been diagnosed as opioid addicts could even be given pot for treatment.  As in, let the states decide if they'd rather help the person survive and potentially become productive or just treat the symptoms for a shorter time until they OD.  The obvious flaw there is that they might kill others before themselves.  I understand the AG's thinking but I realize that he is asking for far too much maturity and strength of citizenship from today's America.  That America no longer exists.  For better or worse, we are what we are and the future will be the judge of who was right or wrong in their thinking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hatecraft said:

Locally there are shift workers that work 4 on and 4 off. When they get off shift they use cocaine because it's outside their system before they start work again while THC will stay with you for a month. Logical, but ridiculous logic just the same.

3 hours ago, aztek said:

but i do agree all drugs need ot be legal, reality showed making them illegal only made situation worst

It's an effective tool for those trying to quit pain pills. 

Sessions was a bad pick for AG. Trump should have chosen Trey Gowdy, or someone else. If there is a federal enforcement of medical marijuana, in the states that have allowed it, watch the uproar.  The old school, you smoke marijuana you are a pothead mentality needs to go away. It has been proven as Yamato's post says, to relieve pain. States don't pass laws like that just at a whim, without sound medical research to back it up.

• Like 1