Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I got a good one for you 8

preacherman76

Had the day off today, so I thought I'd try a little AP session before the kids got home. Ended up just falling asleep. Anyhow I end up having this dream. I'm in my house, and for whatever reason there is a ladder coming down from my hallway closet. So I climb it. It goes all the way to the roof. When I get to the top I suddenly realize my entire roof is gone. Like a strong wind just came along and blew it right off. Not lucid at all, I'm shocked, and begin to frantically think what I could possibly do about it before the weather destroys my home. Its a bright sunshiny day, but this is a BIG project.  That's when I wake up, or so I thought. I go walking out to my porch and there is a guy standing there. I don't know who he is, or why he's there. Im about to ask him when he says to me, "hey man take a look at your roof". So I look up to see that the roof has some damage. I climb up on the porch railing where I can see the whole roof, its still there, but has some semi serious damage. So I say to the guy, wow that's really strange. I just had a dream that my roof was gone.

Side note- I've been having a lot of really strange, I guess they call them synchronicities. Just uncanny things that pop up in my mind, that before the day is over come up again in say a movie I'm watching, and in other ways as well. Kinda like that Giants playoff game thing I posted about a while back.

So not knowing I was still dreaming, I really wasn't all that surprised I had a kind of prophetic dream just before about it. Like I said though I didn't realize it was a continuation of the first dream.

The damage this time was way less frantic to me. The damage was bad, but no where near having to replace the entire roof. So I go inside the house, and am looking for a way to get to the damage from inside. I rip down a wall that had my hot water heater behind it. I made some comment on never seeing the water heater from this POV, then I woke up. For real this time.

So I though of you right away. I also thought, 'oh man this cant be good lol'

All comments are welcome. Really curious what 8 thought about it. Thanks ahead of time.

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 2

Wow. That is a good one. I have a few thoughts (as you guessed), but to lead off

I also thought, 'oh man this cant be good lol'

Maybe more a plea for negotiation than anything not good...

It is not unusual for people to report some 'push back' against frequent lucid dreaming. especially when it involves attempted control of dream content (and I don't know whether launching into AP "counts" as attempted control). I think the source of the pushback is that conscious direction of dream content might interfere with "bottom up" unconscious selection of what "it" wants to "discuss" via dreams.

Anyway, false awakening is frequently reported in the lucid dreaming community. I think it is a mild form of 'push back' all by itself. Your dream's use of it here is distinctive, though: it got you thinking about your "earlier prophetic" dream, while still inside the dream. And then there's the overall motif: familiar house (very frequently dreamt, very readily associated with the structure of the mind or life or both at once), but also distinctive: people don't usually end up on the roof in famiiar house dreams.

So here are questions for you: Keeping in mind the possibility that there may be an element of 'let's talk about how we use dream time,' and supposing for a moment the motif is 'familiar house," and within that motif "upstairs" is the direction of consciousness, of the present or maybe the future - Question 1: What, for you, is the roof?

Question 2: What do you make of that male dream character in the 'false awake' portion? In a dream that isn't exactly subtle about its central image, your roof is damaged, here's this guy reciting the message in as many words. Talk about underlining.

Then finally, Question 3: I am unsure whether you're connecting the synchronicities with the dream, or whether you think that's something different. Are they all connected (in the sense of sharing the same overall meaning), do you think?

OK, after all that, you really did manage, even for a dream, to pack a lot in there with a very spare plot. Well dreamt.

ETA: I was thinking about the roof - maybe part of the image is related to AP: you're outside the house (what would be "your self" in the usual familiar house dream). I wouldn't assume that's all there is to it, you're outside, but what you're looking at in the dream is still the house ("your self"). Not an answer to Q. 1, just something I thought of after I hit the button.

And of course, not that you need to be reminded, but there are always new folks who've never seen my disclaimer:

Disclaimer: I don't interpret other people's dreams, but some dream motifs and characters are dreamt by many people, and I sometimes recognize those motifs and characters. I might be able to tell you what several people who have dreamt dreams like yours have thought about their dreams, but only you can decide whether that has anything to do with your personal dream.

Edited by eight bits
A second thought when looking it over
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, eight bits said:

Wow. That is a good one. I have a few thoughts (as you guessed), but to lead off

Maybe more a plea for negotiation than anything not good...

It is not unusual for people to report some 'push back' against frequent lucid dreaming. especially when it involves attempted control of dream content (and I don't know whether launching into AP "counts" as attempted control). I think the source of the pushback is that conscious direction of dream content might interfere with "bottom up" unconscious selection of what "it" wants to "discuss" via dreams.

Wow I guess I should have recognized that possibility. That the dream was brought on at least in part because of the AP attempt. I'd say AP definitely counts as attempted control.  

Anyway, false awakening is frequently reported in the lucid dreaming community. I think it is a mild form of 'push back' all by itself. Your dream's use of it here is distinctive, though: it got you thinking about your "earlier prophetic" dream, while still inside the dream. And then there's the overall motif: familiar house (very frequently dreamt, very readily associated with the structure of the mind or life or both at once), but also distinctive: people don't usually end up on the roof in famiiar house dreams.

Now that's interesting. I tried to look up this dream, but there were so many variations of interpretation that it didn't really get me anywhere. No one bothered to mention the roof that someone dreams about isn't normally in a familiar house. I know it was a first for me.

So here are questions for you: Keeping in mind the possibility that there may be an element of 'let's talk about how we use dream time,' and supposing for a moment the motif is 'familiar house," and within that motif "upstairs" is the direction of consciousness, of the present or maybe the future - Question 1: What, for you, is the roof?

That's what I've been pondering since I woke from this dream. What is the roof to me? Now before reading your post, somehow I never connected it with AP. Now that Im considering it though, some thing's about the roof scene might make some sense. Despite all my practice trying to master AP its never really fully come together in the same way a few others here seem to experience it. Nearly at will. For me, I'll have a few days where it seems like I really have it together. I'll have consecutive projections daily for 3 or 4 days straight, then nothing. It all just stops. And its a pain in the butt to get it back. Seems like I have to start from scratch every time that happens. After a few weeks and a lot of persistence I'll begin to have small experiences once a week or so. It builds up to where I have a really good week again, rinse repeat. I'm in the middle of one of those ruts right now. So if the roof represents my AP experiences, it would make complete sense that I would find it gone, then later just damaged.

Question 2: What do you make of that male dream character in the 'false awake' portion? In a dream that isn't exactly subtle about its central image, your roof is damaged, here's this guy reciting the message in as many words. Talk about underlining.

When I first saw the guy, I had a feeling like he was there to work on something. In fact I thought at first that I recognized him from my real work, but I just couldn't place who he was. It was almost like he was a landscaper or something, getting ready to mow my lawn. If the damaged roof did represent AP, and being he was the one to point out the damaged roof, maybe he was going to help me fix it. At the least assuming the assumptions are true,  he wanted me to focus on the damage, or the cause of my undesired interruptions with AP. After he pointed out the damage, I went about my business like he wasn't even there anymore. The damaged roof became my full focus. Wish I would have taken a minute to speak with him further.

Then finally, Question 3: I am unsure whether you're connecting the synchronicities with the dream, or whether you think that's something different. Are they all connected (in the sense of sharing the same overall meaning), do you think?

Not at all. The synchronicities I didn't relate to AP, or dreaming at all. My lack of shock in having what I thought was a prophetic dream, I guess I can just chalk up to having another strange experience. If it had really been a kind of prophetic dream, it would have been the first. Well the first in many years anyway. I did have one dream experience that seemed to have relevance in the real world the very next day, but it was the only one I ever had, and is neither here nor there when it comes to the experiences I've had lately.   

OK, after all that, you really did manage, even for a dream, to pack a lot in there with a very spare plot. Well dreamt.

ETA: I was thinking about the roof - maybe part of the image is related to AP: you're outside the house (what would be "your self" in the usual familiar house dream). I wouldn't assume that's all there is to it, you're outside, but what you're looking at in the dream is still the house ("your self"). Not an answer to Q. 1, just something I thought of after I hit the button.

And of course, not that you need to be reminded, but there are always new folks who've never seen my disclaimer:

Disclaimer: I don't interpret other people's dreams, but some dream motifs and characters are dreamt by many people, and I sometimes recognize those motifs and characters. I might be able to tell you what several people who have dreamt dreams like yours have thought about their dreams, but only you can decide whether that has anything to do with your personal dream.

Yea I definitely think you are on to something there 8. Thanks for taking the time bro. To bad I'm still walking away with no answers to my AP problems, even after my mind tried to examine it. The search continues lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an off the wall suggestion.  This has nothing to do with an actual house. The house represents your sense of security /identity and safety .

Something is threatening this, and because it is the roof which disappears, i think it might be something you are aware of subconsciously ('Like "lifting the lid " to see the inner workings of your mind.

This also fits getting a different perspective on your water heater (suddenly an important item usually almost invisible is made the centre of attention, and laid bare for inspection.  This could represent one important inner function of your mind (or possibly a physical problem that is worrying you)    And it is this particular function which is concerning you. 

The guy talking to you is a manifestation of yourself. He is pointing out the problem, but also allowing you to see that it is not as disastrous as you first thought. ie your subconscious knows this and is trying to reassure you  The different layers in the dream, with a false awakening are particularly suggestive that your subconscious is nudging at you, trying to bring a problem to your conscious mind, and have you deal with it.  The good news is that your subconscious believes you CAN deal with it .  

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 2

Wow that's an interesting perspective Mr Walker. I'm not sure how to figure out exactly what problem is being pointed out. I've actually meditated quite a bit on something similar. Without getting much in the way of answers. 

The search continues. 

• 1 month later...

I have lots of strange dreams like this, so dreams i wake up and what the heck 

• Like 1