Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Latest Images From Curiosity Rover

H132

Something that I can not define is appearing on the latest images from mars Curiosity Rover (over the last week).  I'm sure NASA will have their explanations for this and of course, I can not seem to access their curiosityrover.com site at the moment so I thought maybe someone here might have some ideas.

1P542597425EFFCWJ7P2372L2M1.JPG

1P542335755EFFCWJ7P2370L2M1.JPG

1N542334965EFFCWJ7P0703L0M1.JPG

• Like 3

Why assume those are paved areas? Or that the structure is not natural? 

• Like 1

COOL !

....I didn't see this, why are there not more threads like this?, well -- more frequent anyway.

Well not of fake junk but good quality pics of something they've found lately, on the other hand, could be that miles and miles of the same sand like look is pretty uninteresting.

However!!!!! Its better than blur pictures and red circles and arrows on more trees, or this really fun GOOGLE GLOBAL MAP area screen glitches, oh its a ship , no its a triangle craft deep in the ocean, good gravy like they never EVER used computers before? Loads of those etc. etc. etc. and thankfully they don't get in here WHEW !

See this one seems at least in the realm of rational discussion even if it is nothing. No insanely dumb photoshop crap done by a drunk at night.  Not like its an extreme BLUR and inverted color image with filter toys added to it.  Do they not know that other people have used photoshop too ?   This one seems raw and legit, not playing around with it, well looks like that to me, I've not downloaded and inspected of course HA!  Alrighty that was my two bits.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

OP, where are the links, cites, image filename references so we can check the originals...???  Even if you can't get onto the site, when you downloaded the files they would have had filenames that identify them.

And please post original un-enhanced images first.  Also, details of precisely what enhancements you used would be good - especially if it involved enlargement.........

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChrLzs said:

OP, where are the links, cites, image filename references so we can check the originals...???  Even if you can't get onto the site, when you downloaded the files they would have had filenames that identify them.

And please post original un-enhanced images first.  Also, details of precisely what enhancements you used would be good - especially if it involved enlargement.........

Source

1P542597425EFFCWJ7P2372L2M1.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, I hide behind words said:

Why assume those are paved areas? Or that the structure is not natural? 

Yes, Why indeed... especially since I never made any assumptions in my post.  Can you tell me where I assumed that it was not a natural formation?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Even if you can't get onto the site, when you downloaded the files they would have had filenames that identify them.

As a side note... this is a separate location where they seem to post the latest images from curiosity.  I just found it unusual that once these images came about, the site where they often make them public suddenly is unable to connect to the database or is displaying a "no new images" message.  But it could all just be a coincidence if you ask me.  but Just wanted other people's opinions on it because it kind of looks like something that could lean either way "as man-made or possibly an unusual natural formation"  ...but why the white color and area appearing to be perfectly paved.  not to mention the many other possible anomalies that I have seen in these latest images via the link I shared.

• Like 2

Please note that you can browse all of the latest images at the following URLs.. 

They don't often seem to post many on the weekends if any.  Sometimes they miss a day or two throughout the week.  But I check them almost every night and you'd be surprised at what you find sometimes.

• Like 2

I usually don't take much notice of Mars images...unless they only come from a reliable and trusted source such as NASA itself.

You certainly can't get much better than that....

There have been far too many images that have been tampered with by using photoshop etc...by mindless people such as hoaxers. 

Some people are also so 'desperate' to find something unusual...even on a normal NASA image....that they will run with it...only to justify that there is some kind of life form (even man himself) running around, building structures and having a jolly good time on Mars.

It's simply absurd...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MWoo7 said:

....I didn't see this, why are there not more threads like this?, well -- more frequent anyway.

In all honesty, I find anomalous things nearly every day via various discovered links and deep web but don't post them.  Let's all be honest, nobody will ever take any of these very seriously even if a smoking gun is uncovered.  It would take something incredibly huge before I came into a forum and posted outrageous opinions about them being anything unusual.   And I fail to ever reveal any findings that i myself can not provide a source to.  I don't even archive anything that doesn't have a proper source.

• Like 1

Seem Small,

NOPE !

Of good quality but MOUSE OVER THEM AND CLICK, they fill the screen , good detail THANKS !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MWoo7 said:

Seem Small,

NOPE !

Of good quality but MOUSE OVER THEM AND CLICK, they fill the screen , good detail THANKS !

Was originally going to post several of the originals along with the enhanced versions but it only allowed about 245kb of attachment so I took some out at random.  Sorry about that guys.  simply removed the wrong ones I guess.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, H132 said:

It would take something incredibly huge before I came into a forum and posted outrageous opinions about them being anything unusual.

Good call but ask anyone, there have been, well mentally they have to be highschoolers or college drunks because well ask anyone, there have been some interesting one's that have stopped in and who knows why tried pulling stunts for lack of anything better.   Once seen a veteran in here, lock on to a group and nailed them, it was kind of exciting to see live, a bit of history I witnessed HA!

Oh, lastly thanks for your posts! much appreciated.

Quality  cam shots from rover I was impressed thanks for the LInks, bookmarked , will check out again, too late, off to count sheep around here nighterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

--MWoo

Oh, thought to mention and I have this wrong no doubt, 8 orbitals and 9 Landers completed on Mars ? to date, ? is that right ?

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

Cannot find any information (even on their own dam site) about qt.exploratorium.edu.  Until I can verify the source images, I'll pass on any serious analysis.

I will (and this is partly the reason why I'll pass, for now) point out that in that same folder there is this image:

1P542597480EFFCWJ7P2372L5M1.JPG

Hmmmmm.   Note that the same area looks much lower in contrast and less 'artificial' - 
curiodouble.jpg.4d9f715ac71612b7397048745fb2f81a.jpg

Look at the difference - 'enhancement' like that can give false impressions...  It seems to me that either the Martian weather/lighting has dramatically changed or the camera has used settings or a filter that over enhanced the 'anomaly'.  My money is on the last one - namely a filter designed to 'falsely' enhance contrast and details.

Until we get more details......

• Like 3

ChrLzs - well done :tu:

I'm not as near as savvy as you when it comes to photography...and enhancement etc...but is it likely / possible that the 'Monochrome' technique was used in the OP's image...it seems that one can also create this type of an enhancement on black and white images using computer software as well, such as photoshop. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monochrome_photography

Monochrome images may be produced using black-and-white

film or paper, or by manipulating color images using computer software. Color images can be converted to black and white on the computer using several methods, including desaturating the existing color RGB image so that no color remains visible (which still allows color channels to be manipulated to alter tones such as darkening a blue sky, or by converting the image to a greyscale version (which eliminates the colors permanently), using software programs like Photoshop.[7]After software conversion to a monochrome image, one or more hues can replace the grey tones to emulate duotones, sepia, selenium or gold toned images or cyanotype, calotype or albumen prints. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, H132 said:

Yes, Why indeed... especially since I never made any assumptions in my post.  Can you tell me where I assumed that it was not a natural formation?

So you won't answer the questions?

"Why assume those are paved areas? Or that the structure is not natural?"

What do you believe caused them? More than one theory is acceptable.

11 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Look at the difference - 'enhancement' like that can give false impressions...  It seems to me that either the Martian weather/lighting has dramatically changed or the camera has used settings or a filter that over enhanced the 'anomaly'.  My money is on the last one - namely a filter designed to 'falsely' enhance contrast and details.

It should be noted that the photos under that folder are usually taken with two different cams (Left and Right).  However, these particular ones were only taken with the Left cam.  No Right cam footage was uploaded to this archive.  

You will also notice that three consecutive images are the same image with what I first thought to be some sort of filter to enhance the image for some reason (although it really just seemed to make it worse).  I don't understand why they are doing that.  Nonetheless, I analyzed these consecutive images and found them to actually be enhanced versions of the same image. This is because the pixel anomalies that appear during the enhancement actually exist in the "original" image (if that is really an original image).  All of these pixels line up perfectly with the other images and were even tested using pixel location mapping.

It is when these "filters" or "enhancements" are added to the original image that the anomalies in the image appear different and often faded.  I don't think the clearer images are enhanced insomuch as the less clear images are the result of those "filters" or whatever they are.  And they are taken with the same camera on the Rover.

Here are closeups of these three images in consecutive order as they appear in the archive...

1.png

SOURCE

2.png

SOURCE

3.png

SOURCE

• Like 1

8 hours ago, I hide behind words said:

So you won't answer the questions?

"Why assume those are paved areas? Or that the structure is not natural?"

What do you believe caused them? More than one theory is acceptable.

Dude, don't be a troll.  Why would I answer the questions when they don't even apply to me.  If I knew the answers, I wouldn't be asking people those same questions here.  Move on to youtube or something where the other trolls are.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Cannot find any information (even on their own dam site) about qt.exploratorium.edu.  Until I can verify the source images, I'll pass on any serious analysis.

I will (and this is partly the reason why I'll pass, for now) point out that in that same folder there is this image:

Hi ChrLzs,

The files at qt.exploratorium.edu are a valid mirror of the JPL raw image archives.  This mirror has been active since the early days of the MER missions.  The Exploratorium is a science center / museum in San Francisco, California, with a long history of collaboration with NASA.  If you follow the "Collaborations" link off of their home page, you will find:

https://www.exploratorium.edu/collaborations/nasa

Hmmmmm.   Note that the same area looks much lower in contrast and less 'artificial' - 

There's really nothing artificial or falsely-enhanced about those images.  The one on the left is taken using a green filter.  The one on the right uses a red filter.  The bright spots on the red image just indicate that the terrain there is more red than the surrounding areas.  Keep in mind that these are uncalibrated images, so you shouldn't draw too many conclusions about the absolute brightness levels in any of these images.  I'm working on a direct response to H132 now, and I'll post more details there.

Edited by Pericynthion
Fixed typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, H132 said:

It should be noted that the photos under that folder are usually taken with two different cams (Left and Right).  However, these particular ones were only taken with the Left cam.  No Right cam footage was uploaded to this archive.  

You will also notice that three consecutive images are the same image with what I first thought to be some sort of filter to enhance the image for some reason (although it really just seemed to make it worse).  I don't understand why they are doing that.  Nonetheless, I analyzed these consecutive images and found them to actually be enhanced versions of the same image. This is because the pixel anomalies that appear during the enhancement actually exist in the "original" image (if that is really an original image).  All of these pixels line up perfectly with the other images and were even tested using pixel location mapping.

It is when these "filters" or "enhancements" are added to the original image that the anomalies in the image appear different and often faded.  I don't think the clearer images are enhanced insomuch as the less clear images are the result of those "filters" or whatever they are.  And they are taken with the same camera on the Rover.

Here are closeups of these three images in consecutive order as they appear in the archive...

SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE

Hi H132,

The images you've been posting are actually from the MER rover Opportunity on the rim of Endeavour crater, not from Curiosity.  The three images you linked above are taken, in order, through red, green and blue filters.  Opportunity's cameras are starting to show the cumulative damage from their many years operating on Mars.  I don't have the header data for these files, but I suspect the blue image is noisier because it's a longer exposure (there's not much blue on Mars).

If you're curious, you can tell which filter was used in a Pancam image by looking at the last four characters of the file name.  Look at the two characters third and fourth from the end.  That shows which camera was used (left or right) and which filter was used.  The three images above are L2, L5 and L7.  The color wavelengths for filters on the left and right Pancams are:

LEFT CAMERA                               RIGHT CAMERA 
         L1 = 739nm (338nm bandpass)      R1 = 436nm (37nm Short-pass) 
         L2 = 753nm (20nm bandpass)        R2 = 754nm (20nm bandpass) 
         L3 = 673nm (16nm bandpass)        R3 = 803nm (20nm bandpass) 
         L4 = 601nm (17nm bandpass)        R4 = 864nm (17nm bandpass) 
         L5 = 535nm (20nm bandpass)        R5 = 904nm (26nm bandpass) 
         L6 = 482nm (30nm bandpass)        R6 = 934nm (25nm bandpass) 
         L7 = 432nm (32nm Short-pass)      R7 = 1009nm (38nm Long-pass) 
         L8 = 440nm (20) Solar ND 5.0        R8 = 880nm (20) Solar ND 5.0

L2 is a red filter, L5 is a green filter, and L7 is a blue filter (actually a bit more violet than blue):

mer_cam_color.png

reference:  Mars Exploration Rover Athena Panoramic Camera (Pancam) Investigation

If you combine the three images using them as the red, green, and blue channels of a color image, you can get an image that is approximately true color.  Here's a very rough, uncalibrated version of a color image I put together using the three images you showed above:

color2b_zpsaq2w2wyg.jpg

This is really only a rough guess at the actual colors, but it ought to be close enough to give you a general idea of what the scene looks like in color.

And here's what I think you're looking at in this image.  The image below is a cropped part of the Opportunity location map for sol 4665 (link).  The images are from sol 4668, so the rover is very close to the location shown for sol 4665.  I flipped the image below so that south is up.  That puts the more distant objects near the top of the image and hopefully makes it easier to compare with the color Pancam shot above.

Overview%20Sol%204665_zps6bwnetgt.jpg

The Pancams have a horizontal field of view of about 16 degrees, so I've shown that with the green wedge.  I don't have pointing data for these images, but I'm pretty sure the camera is looking pretty much in the direction I've shown.  We're looking south along the rim of the crater.  The area you think looks "paved" is the area I've circled in red.  It's a region of lighter toned exposed rocks fairly close to the rover.  I think the bright reddish area in the Pancam image is the feature I've circled in blue.  I believe Opportunity is on a bit of a hill here, so most of the ground between the red area and the blue area is actually hidden from view on the back side of the rise.

Hope this helps.

P.

• Like 6

And here I was thinking that it may have been just another photshopped image.

Not blaming the OP, as he seemed sincere with what he had presented.

Anyway, hats off to you smart folk who know their 'stuff' when it comes to deciphering photography / images...as to what's true / and or what's possibly false.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Martinbradley said:

Is the footprint photo on mars surface real ? 

Here is some advise - if you haven't something at least half intelligent to say. Then sometimes it's best to remain silent.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pericynthion said:

...There's really nothing artificial or falsely-enhanced about those images.

... you shouldn't draw too many conclusions about the absolute brightness levels in any of these images.  I'm working on a direct response to H132 now, and I'll post more details there.

Thanks, Peri, as usual your posts are a wealth of information and excellent analysis/information.  Just to clarify, my comment about 'false enhancement' is my impolite way of saying what you did - namely, "you shouldn't draw too many conclusions about the brightness{/contrast} levels in these images".  Whenever an image uses filters or other enhancements like contrast tweaks, and especially when some areas approach blown white, then you can get a very misleading (aka false) impression of what that area really looks like.  If you compare your attempt to approach 'real' color, versus the first image posted, I think you would agree that the filtered image contains false 'detail' in that it looks far more contrasty and potentially artificial than it is.

• Like 1