Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Religion

Paul !

Not all, but waaay too many.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Martinbradley said:

Is this the case

What are you talking about?

5 minutes ago, Ryu said:

What are you talking about?

The subhead: "Is it the cause of all wars ?"

3 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

The subhead: "Is it the cause of all wars ?"

Ah..I missed that part. My bad.

Anywhoo..I do not think religion really is the cause of all wars even though it is often used as an excuse for such, I think the main cause is greed, plain and simple. If one country has something the other wants and is has opted not to sell or hand over their own resources then the other tries to take it by force either directly or over time by fomenting all manner of strife.

In the end there is really no end to the possible causes of war, hate and other aggression. We allow it to happen even though we know better but I guess it is easier to kill others than to learn to co-exist and think of ways to make life better for the next generations.

• Like 9

I'd blame ethnic nationalism and divisions of political ideology for most of the wars, not religion.

• Like 7

A religion that begets division, hatred, and conflict is not religion.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Martinbradley said:

Do u all believe in one god ?

I'm an apatheist. I don't care if God exists or not.

• Like 2

I believe religion contributes to conflict.  As an excuse to go to war or as the actual reason, either way it is sad that people can't communicate and work out differences of opinions without going to war.

42 minutes ago, Martinbradley said:

No.  I would classify myself as Pagan.  I believe nature is the "higher power"

• Like 3

I agree u with u with the upmost why do we as a species have to be at conflict over color beliefs and a non willing to engage with ppl we don't even try to understand 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Martinbradley said:

As it seems religion is the main cause of hate and aggression in this conflicting world , 

You come from a rich and wealthy country, dont you ? 

5 hours ago, Martinbradley said:

How can 'we all' answer a question like that ?   :huh:

( This aint a church ! ) 

4 hours ago, Martinbradley said:

I agree u with u with the upmost why do we as a species have to be at conflict over color beliefs and a non willing to engage with ppl we don't even try to understand 

because there are two dynamics going on within this species;

1. A need to keep the 'circle closed' protected and uninterfered with, to protect the specific genetic type, the outlook, philosophy, religion etc  - to preserve the dominant paradigm so it can grow and develop into its potential .  - Xenopobia .

2. A need to explore, break out and discover the new, to bring in new influences , grow, mutate and evolve, to get new outlooks and religious ideas, to create new paradigms .  Xenophilia . 

I am sure this is an ancient embedded dynamic in people's psyches  - depends  what you have the most of . I have always enjoyed new food, cultures and religions  < shrug >    .

Its a very old natural process, these two things, a well known 'alchemical principle' - continuous cycles of 1 and 2  ^ 

- Solve et  Coagula   ( dissolve  -  2.   Coagulate - 1  ) .

4 hours ago, Martinbradley said:

Nature should teach up respect as it deserves the up most of it

What I outlined above re alchemy is a process in nature, we should learn  from nature , and ignore the human head trips that are not supported by processes in nature. 

This is how we have learnt and progressed , whether it be by ancient observations or modern physics. 

11 hours ago, Martinbradley said:

Why, so you can stereotype me?  My Catholic upbringing taught me to observe the decalogue (ten commandments).  It taught me respect for others, family values, love and forgiveness.  Aware of the fact that many Protestants share much in common with me, I consider myself a peace keeper.  As such, I agree with Major General Smedley Butler, "War is a Racket"-- even more so today; therefore, I do not like being lumped together with the following:

• muslims whose tolerance is limited to Islam (which was founded by a warlord)
  • Jews, who condone 'an eye for an eye' 

nor

• Protestants whose leanings are often, if not cultic, more toward Judaism.

Edited by aka CAT

You left out Hindus  .....  some of the religions that make up 'Hinduism' believe in one God  ... some dont . 

Its just that they were all 'stereotyped'    by the   " British "    ( okay ... one of the British   ... with influence ) and then   ...  <stikes sinister chord >  .... the   I. N. P .     :)  

" Other scholars, while seeing Hinduism as a 19th-century construct, view Hinduism as a response to British colonialism by Indian nationalists who forged a unified tradition centered on oral and written Sanskrit texts adopted as scriptures. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindi

&

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=&title=Special%3ASearch&fulltext=Search

Edited by back to earth

It's interesting that in Buddhism, the Buddha is considered superior to the gods in hierarchy. When the Buddha attained enlightenment, the gods came and bowed down before him. Even the devil (in common parlance) acknowledge the supremacy of the Buddha among all beings.

When Buddha came to 'realisation' he still believed in  Gods   ?  

Or was that his followers who had not yet attained that realisation ?   

" Do Buddhists believe in a god?

Answer:
No, we do not. There are several reasons for this. The Buddha, like modern sociologists and psychologists, believed that religious ideas and especially the god idea have their origins in fear. "

- Ven S . Dhammika

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda03.htm

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

It's interesting that in Buddhism, the Buddha is considered superior to the gods in hierarchy. When the Buddha attained enlightenment, the gods came and bowed down before him. Even the devil (in common parlance) acknowledge the supremacy of the Buddha among all beings.

Gods only bow before men who have realised they are their own inventions .   ;) 

• Like 1