Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Large Hadron Collider discovers new particles

UM-Bot

Love it.  Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if these particles are made of yet smaller, unknown particles. This could go into the ever smaller realm of particles with no end in sight, but at some point our instrumentality will probably break down, not allowing us to see beyond a certain limit. 

• Like 1

Quarks to the left of me, quasars to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

• Like 2

I read about this from several sources, but no one mentions any significance beyond the simple fact of their existence.  Does it prove or disprove some conjecture about the behavior of quarks?  Was their presence predicted?  Does it imply some hitherto unknown physics?  Is it, as I suspect, just news to tell us the Hadron people are busy.  

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

Does it prove or disprove some conjecture about the behavior of quarks?  Was their presence predicted?  Does it imply some hitherto unknown physics?  Is it, as I suspect, just news to tell us the Hadron people are busy.

Right On my man FRANK ! "Does it prove or disprove some conjecture about the behavior of quarks?  ...  Is it, as I suspect, just news to tell us the Hadron people are busy."  Mmmm maybe they'll elaborate in a few weeks, hopefully still not holding hard to string theory fun. Anyone read up on all the different particles? HOLY! think my head about burst!

Excellent re: below :::::

5 hours ago, Sundew said:

I wonder if these particles are made of yet smaller, unknown particles. This could go into the ever smaller realm of particles with no end in sight

Yeah when it first started out, I would assume everyone kind of had that thought in the back of their head, but probably didn't expect the can of worms they now have HA!

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

It seems to me, given the nature of the universe and our perception.

No matter how deeply we look either within, or without, we will perceive something.

2 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

I read about this from several sources, but no one mentions any significance beyond the simple fact of their existence.  Does it prove or disprove some conjecture about the behavior of quarks?  Was their presence predicted?  Does it imply some hitherto unknown physics?  Is it, as I suspect, just news to tell us the Hadron people are busy.  

I'm also missing more elaboration on the finding. I would for example like to know if the find was expected according to known physics or not.

• Like 1

Regardless of the "importance"  it's still an amazing discovery.  Maybe it's just the SciFi freak in me, but the more CERN does the closer I feel we're getting to a boom! BIG or small.  Hopefully not a BANG!

well... when the frequencies we use for radio broadcasting were discovered, we didn't know the ramifications and potential uses of them at the time.

Discovery is for discovery... the uses of those discoveries... I'm sure some clever capitalists will jump in and find a way to profit from it soon enough.

Good deal. Hoping for further findings from this awesome physics machine.

On March 20, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Twin said:

Quarks to the left of me, quasars to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

RIP Gerry Rafferty. 

These particles seem to be higher-energy excitations of an already known particle, formed from one charm and two strange quarks.

In high-energy physics, different excitation levels of particles are often treated as new particles (for valid technical reasons).

I think (not an expert, but somewhat knowledgeable) that the importance of this find is that knowing the energy levels of these charmed/strange particles helps quantify the strong force interaction between charm quarks. This has bearing on possible grand unified theories.

So:

• The sub-atomic particles just discovered are definitely composed of already known ``sub-sub-atomic'' particles.
  • These particles are expected to exist according to known physics, but the energy levels of these exotic particle states cannot be predicted very well with our current theory so we didn't have a clear idea ``where'' to find them.
  • There is probably not any unknown physics at work here. Charm/strange quark systems are relatively easy to produce in moderate-energy accelerators and have been well-studied for decades. Excited states are more difficult to product (need higher energy, obviously) but should not exhibit any novel behaviour.
  • Like 1