Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Dinosaurs Get Their Names

Claire.

From “T. Rex” to “Pantydraco”: How Dinosaurs Get Their Names

When it comes to dinosaur names, the classics will always be on the tips of our tongues. There’s Stegosaurus, Apatosaurus and, naturally, the tyrant king Tyrannosaurus rex, so famous that most simply know the carnivorous celebrity as T. rex. These Mesozoic rock stars discovered in the late 19th and early 20th centuries—just when museums were starting to show them off—have more enduring popularity than any movie star.

But where did these now-iconic names come from? And how did we end up with today’s lesser-known titles like Spinops, Bistahieversor and even—try not to giggle—Pantydraco?

Read more: Scientific American

• Like 3

Weirdest one I know is for a mammal, the fosa, which is Cryptoprocta ferox. What the hell was he thinking? 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Weirdest one I know is for a mammal, the fosa, which is Cryptoprocta ferox. What the hell was he thinking?

It's a rather crude name when you think about it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Well, it's better than the Boxerbriefsasaurus :lol:

• Like 4