Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Waspie_Dwarf

A new cosmological ruler

4 posts in this topic

Cosmological ruler could help us get the measure of dark energy

Measuring cosmological distances is tricky at the best of times, but it is even harder if your ruler isn’t up to scratch. A new cosmological standard ruler could make the difference – and help astrophysicists figure out why the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate.

Ever since we realised that the universe’s expansion is accelerating – a discovery that won Adam Riess and his colleagues the 2011 Nobel prize in physics – we have been trying to work out why. The phenomenon is usually put down to the existence of dark energy, a mysterious force that appears to be pushing the universe’s matter further and further apart.

arrow3.gif  Read More: New Scientist

3 people like this

I didn't think sound waves could travel through a vacuum but there you go!

33 minutes ago, taniwha said:

I didn't think sound waves could travel through a vacuum but there you go!

They can't. The article doesn't say they can. In fact, as you would realise if you had bothered to read it properly,  the article specifically tells you that the waves AREN'T moving through a vacuum. Before it mentions acoustic waves it says this:

In its infancy, the universe was a hot soup of matter that was distributed in a mostly uniform fashion, with a few dense spots of dark matter.

(my emphasis).

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

They can't. The article doesn't say they can. In fact, as you would realise if you had bothered to read it properly,  the article specifically tells you that the waves AREN'T moving through a vacuum. Before it mentions acoustic waves it says this:

(my emphasis).

Yes your right, I only had time to skim read it.