Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

7000 Methane bubbles could explode

seeder

7,000 Huge Gas Bubbles Have Formed Under Siberia, and Could Explode at Any Moment

What happens when the permafrost thaws.

Last year, researchers in Siberia's remote Bely Island made the bizarre discovery that the ground had started bubbling in certain places, and was squishy under the locals' feet like jelly.

At the time, just 15 of these swollen bubbles had been identified, but an investigation in the wider region of the Yamal and Gydan peninsulas has revealed that 7,000 or so of them have cropped up, and the concern now is that they could explode at any moment.

http://www.sciencealert.com/7-000-huge-gas-bubbles-have-formed-under-siberia-and-could-explode-at-any-moment

• Like 3

Not good. I've read those methane bubbles could substantially speed up the global warming process. Warming melts ice which releases more methane which melts more ice...

• Like 2

Maybe a bit OT but if you like such environment horror scenarios I highly recommend to read the book The Swarm by Frank Schätzing. Its a 881 page book and I finished it within 2 days with nearly no sleep.

The Swarm (Schätzing novel)

• Like 1

Oh wow... there is a theory i read somewhere.. right before a new 'very cold' period of time.. it warms up... for the few years ahead of the 'flashover' point... could these be a part of it?

I cannot remember where online... several computers (years) ago... it is the simplest version i can put it in... 

when was the last mini ice age? (The northern an southern countries freeze up and fairly quick too)

some people were told to 'watch for the signs'.. yet if nobody can even see street and traffic signs.. likely ? Most will not see these kinds of signs