Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pennies falling from up high dont kill you

seeder

What would happen if you were hit by a penny falling from a skyscraper?

There’s a tale we’ve all heard: A penny dropped from the top of the Empire State Building would fall at such a rate it would impale and kill anyone it hit down below.

The myth somehow weaseled its way through the generations, horrifying elementary school students and causing reasonable people to wonder if a day of New York City sightseeing would be their last.

But quietly, about a decade ago, University of Virginia physics professor Louis Bloomfield put those fears to rest by happily getting pelted with pennies from high above. He answered the question and lived to tell about it.

Bloomfield hosted his experiment in a park in Charlottesville, Va. There he launched a helium balloon carrying pennies hundreds of feet in the air and, using radio-control airplane parts, devised a way to drop the pennies to the ground.

On the ground, Bloomfield tried his best to catch the falling coins.

“The pennies didn’t hurt,” he said. “They bounced off me and it felt like getting hit by bugs, big raindrops, or little hail pellets. No bruises, no injuries. I was laughing the whole time.”

http://college.usatoday.com/2017/03/20/penny-dropped-from-skyscraper/

• Like 2

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• and-then

• seeder

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's all about the mass involved.  I know that a .44 caliber bullet can fall straight down and kill.