Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Any LaVey Fans Here?

Vallis Daemonum

Any other Satanists, or those who admire LaVey's work here? I wouldn't say I'm new here, but I haven't had an UnEx account in about 10 years. Just looking for intelligent discussion, no hatemongers.

• Like 1

I am not a Satanist, nor am I fan of religion, but I can say that the Satanists in my experience tend to be a much more accepting and caring bunch than other Abrahamic faiths I've encountered. I like that you guys accept human nature and work with it, rather than against it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Podo said:

I am not a Satanist, nor am I fan of religion, but I can say that the Satanists in my experience tend to be a much more accepting and caring bunch than other Abrahamic faiths I've encountered. I like that you guys accept human nature and work with it, rather than against it.

I could be wrong, but I think you're referring to Wiccans, not Satanists.

12 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

I could be wrong, but I think you're referring to Wiccans, not Satanists.

You are wrong, I am talking about Satanists. When satanists do stuff like protecting muslims from hate crimes and fight to uphold reproductive rights for women (unlike most other faiths), they get a thumbs-up from me.

• Like 1

I'm sure they don't welcome help from the Church of Satan.  Pretty sure it's like an attempt to flank their defenses.  Just like so many people use the love thine enemies and bless those that curse you as an evil intent.  Which it can be, it is an attempt to flank defenses if it's not sincere.  The Satanic bible says the best friend of the Satanist is the Church, but even Lavey denounced his philosophy in that before he died, and was attacking the Church's money supply.  Did he drop his own principles and advice, could he not hold his own philosophy up? Was he too weak?  Or did he realize he was just wrong?

Personally I thought his work was mostly copying previous occultists from earlier generations, who he did not give credit to their work either.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Podo said:

You are wrong, I am talking about Satanists. When satanists do stuff like protecting muslims from hate crimes and fight to uphold reproductive rights for women (unlike most other faiths), they get a thumbs-up from me.

Ok, I read the links you posted, and TST seems like they are respectable people. I read their 7 tenets and actually agree with all of them. However, even though TST seems to be a decent group of people, I'm sure there are satanist out there who don't belong to this group or practice their tenets. I had never heard of TST before. The only thing I ever heard about satanist were negative, and I'm sure there are negative ones out there, just as with any religion or group or whatever. Just because TST  is willing to help people in need doesn't mean they all adhere to the same standards. So are you giving a thumbs up to TST, or all satanist in general?

4 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

Ok, I read the links you posted, and TST seems like they are respectable people. I read their 7 tenets and actually agree with all of them. However, even though TST seems to be a decent group of people, I'm sure there are satanist out there who don't belong to this group or practice their tenets. I had never heard of TST before. The only thing I ever heard about satanist were negative, and I'm sure there are negative ones out there, just as with any religion or group or whatever. Just because TST  is willing to help people in need doesn't mean they all adhere to the same standards. So are you giving a thumbs up to TST, or all satanist in general?

Thumbs-up to the good ones, of course. I'm sure there are sketchy ones, but I've never heard of them doing anything negative on a large scale in the same way that theists who follow Abrahamic faiths so regularly do. The best religion is the kind that you never hear about, so if they're quietly doing their own thing without screwing with the world at large, I've no issue with that. Other religions could learn from that behaviour, in fact.

Edited by Podo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Podo said:

Thumbs-up to the good ones, of course. I'm sure there are sketchy ones, but I've never heard of them doing anything negative on a large scale in the same way that theists who follow Abrahamic faiths so regularly do. The best religion is the kind that you never hear about, so if they're quietly doing their own thing without screwing with the world at large, I've no issue with that. Other religions could learn from that behaviour, in fact.

I agree, but I'm still a bit confused by TST. Their first tenet says to not harm anyone or anything, so does that mean they don't do sacrifices? I thought that was common practice for satanism? (And a big no no imo, for all religions). I find it quite ironic they had no takers on their offerings to help and shelter the muslims, considering how their own religion treats them. Why turn down a sincere offer for help, no matter who it's from?

2 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

I agree, but I'm still a bit confused by TST. Their first tenet says to not harm anyone or anything, so does that mean they don't do sacrifices? I thought that was common practice for satanism? (And a big no no imo, for all religions). I find it quite ironic they had no takers on their offerings to help and shelter the muslims, considering how their own religion treats them. Why turn down a sincere offer for help, no matter who it's from?

As far as I know, modern Satanism does not involve sacrifices. There are plenty of bogeyman stories on the contrary, but I've not seen any substantiated claims overwise. I have, however, heard of pagans and wiccans doing animal sacrifice. Religion is inherently illogical, I wouldn't waste too much time trying to make sense of it.

4 minutes ago, Podo said:

As far as I know, modern Satanism does not involve sacrifices. There are plenty of bogeyman stories on the contrary, but I've not seen any substantiated claims overwise. I have, however, heard of pagans and wiccans doing animal sacrifice. Religion is inherently illogical, I wouldn't waste too much time trying to make sense of it.

Pagans, probably. But my understanding of Wicca is that they don't do sacrifices. In fact their saying is something like " do what you will, but harm none." My apologies to any wiccans for my lack of knowledge on the phrase. But on the flip side I'm sure people who practice dark witchcraft probably do still sacrifice animals and possibly humans as well. And I do still hear of satanic rituals that involve sacrifices. Any satanist/wiccans/pagans out there who can set me straight? Just curious is all,since there was a time I thought about becoming a wiccan. All the other religions just didn't seem right for me, especially Christianity. I know this is waaaay off topic,so sorry to the original poster.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Future ghost said:

But on the flip side I'm sure people who practice dark witchcraft probably do still sacrifice animals and possibly humans as well.

Where there are people, there are bad people. Where there is religion, there is contradictory behaviour. The combination of people and religion guarantees that someone, somewhere, of every single faith on the planet is cutting something's throat.

1 hour ago, Podo said:

Where there are people, there are bad people. Where there is religion, there is contradictory behaviour. The combination of people and religion guarantees that someone, somewhere, of every single faith on the planet is cutting something's throat.

So true.:(

Here's the public ritual from the Church of Satan on June 6, 2006.  It's interesting as a regular ritual.  As Jesus says, anything you ask of the Father in my name, so will you receive.  If Satan and Jesus are inseperable, than by asking in Satan should give you your desire as well, but they also use Jesus' name as well.

I guess it's calling itself Church, and I don't really think it's doing anymore evil than other Churches have done.  I've also talked to the Scientologists.  We had a conversation about the Thetans and moral values and how it is unkind and immoral to be unusually cruel to Thetans.  We both agreed.  They gave me a pamphlet of some beginner info of their religion, and how to live your life, but it was almost identical to the Ten Commandments.

But, all these places call themselves a Church, and Church doesn't mean a building, but a gathering of people.  I think I would consider the Church of Satan an off branch of the usual church, like another denomination, but all things come together for those who believe in God.

Besides, if you've been to some churches, they'll wish for these sort of things to happen, quite similar, but different words, but not too different.

I guess some Satanists might go to heaven, and others may not, as with all faiths, the peacemakers shall be called the children of God.

Edited by Opus Magnus
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:52 AM, Opus Magnus said:

Here's the public ritual from the Church of Satan on June 6, 2006.  It's interesting as a regular ritual.  As Jesus says, anything you ask of the Father in my name, so will you receive.  If Satan and Jesus are inseperable, than by asking in Satan should give you your desire as well, but they also use Jesus' name as well.

Flawless logic there.

I guess some Satanists might go to heaven, and others may not, as with all faiths, the peacemakers shall be called the children of God.

Why would Satanists or anyone go to a fictional place? As usual you're rambling.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2017 at 4:50 PM, Vallis Daemonum said:

Any other Satanists, or those who admire LaVey's work here? I wouldn't say I'm new here, but I haven't had an UnEx account in about 10 years. Just looking for intelligent discussion, no hatemongers.

No,  I am not a Satanist , just as I am not a Christian   one is the invention of the other  IMO .    But 'Satanism' is a much broader term than Christianity even, it can mean many things .  Depending on what  type of 'Satanist' you are, and where you are coming from, you should find some intelligent discussion here .

What do you want to talk about ? 

Edited by back to earth

On 3/23/2017 at 11:59 AM, Podo said:

Ha !  The whole concept of Christianity is based on sacrifice .... this guy called Jesus was sacrificed by his father to redeem the world . 

Just like Abraham and his son, except a angel cants till God's hand .     ;)   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, back to earth said:

Ha !  The whole concept of Christianity is based on sacrifice .... this guy called Jesus was sacrificed by his father to redeem the world . 

Just like Abraham and his son, except a angel cants till God's hand .     ;)   

Yeah, it is, and yet Christians always seem to get all up and jimmyrustled when anyone talks about sacrificing anything. It's almost as though Christianity is an inherently illogical and hypocritical belief! 

• Like 2

Nah ... its just a simple case of  ....

what is good for the goose is not good for the gander    ( I familiar with that one !  XGF taught me alllll about it ! :)  ) 

Non Christian dude does magic trick - must be the devil , spooky or 'occult'  / forbidden .

Good Upstanding Christian does magic trick ... must be work of God - they a saint !  (If they get 'seal of approval' .) 

Past member of past accepted religion does magic trick ;  '  of God ' - Prophet .

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 2

On 23/03/2017 at 6:40 AM, Podo said:

I would say they just interpret human nature differently.

It is not a person's belief or faith which must be judged, but the consequences when they apply that belief/faith in their society.   

• Like 1

While I've read the Satanic Bible it still had too much magical thinking for my liking.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a satanist. I used to love all this dark stuff when I was younger and angry.

But then I saw it didn't make me money. Now I am a wizard and I love it.

• Like 2

There is a game called devil survivor. Without getting into it, there is a ton of demonogly and a myriad of variety of demons who can fight for you. Even baphemot is in it. And you know, what if baphemot is equal in love and power to other demon gods?

Edited by tomatoedrama
  • Like 1

And if your wondering if I'm a satanist, I'm just really inquisitive. Kinda like a scholar who loves learning.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2017 at 1:50 AM, Vallis Daemonum said:

I have read LaVey's work and found it shallow and did not like him.  Too much theater.  However, I have met and debated with some of his followers and were impressed with many of them; they often outshine Lavey.  They are very rational and easy to have a discussion with when they learn that I am not out to attack them.  They are atheist after all, so they remind me in some way of the followers of Ayn Rand, whom I studied in my 20's.  She has a lot to say, but she was so left brain that her life was a mess.  The LaVeyans I have interacted with are much more in touch with their inner world and intuition.  I have found that the symbol that is used, "Satan", is not the same as what Christians believe about that being.  Setians are also interesting and highly intellectual as well.   Though being a Christian I am not sure I understand them as much as I think I do.....I am after all and outsider looking in.

Peace
mark

• Like 1