Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The dark history of Japan's Rabbit Island

Claire.

The Dark History of Japan’s Rabbit Island

There is an island where rabbits rule. They are well fed, free from predators, and spend their time lounging around getting photographed by fawning humans.

So where is this bunny paradise?

It’s a small island in the Seto Inland Sea called Ōkunoshima, two miles off the coast of the Japanese city of Takehara, in Hiroshima Prefecture. These days, though, it’s most often referred to by its nickname Usagi Jima, which translates to Rabbit Island and is so named for the hundreds of feral rabbits that call it home.

Read more: Smithsonian.com

• Like 2

I will definitely get nightmares after this.. 
Why did I watch this video :angry:

My neighbor had rabbits when I grew up.
I am extremely allergic to rabbits. If I just poke a rabbit with a finger that finger will get covered in blisters.
Some of my worst memories is from when as a kid I had so much blisters on my hands I couldnt hold the pen in school.

And I remember when I cycled I squeezed the handlebar the blisters burst and I could feel my mittens getting wet. :cry: 
Now Im terrified of rabbits and havent dared to touch one in maybe 25 years or so. 

*snip*

Edited by Saru
Removed graphic image
  • Like 2

Oh i thought this was going to be about the hybrids. Did anyone else see that story? Around 1996 japan had claimed to siccessfully produce a human rabbit hybrid. Im very curious to see how this program has progressed since.

Edit: my mistake it was china.

Edited by Nnicolette

Reminds me of a Father Ted episode when Bishop Brennan was visiting and Dougal's rabbit kept multiplying!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

Reminds me of a Father Ted episode when Bishop Brennan was visiting and Dougal's rabbit kept multiplying!

I was just about to look for the picture of Len Brennan and Father Jack in bed surrounded by rabbits. 

• Like 3

On 3/23/2017 at 9:56 AM, Nnicolette said:

Oh i thought this was going to be about the hybrids. Did anyone else see that story? Around 1996 japan had claimed to siccessfully produce a human rabbit hybrid. Im very curious to see how this program has progressed since.

Edit: my mistake it was china.

There has been a couple of leaked photos from the top secret genetic experiment.  Here is one

icettankgirl.jpg

• Like 1