Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should homeless people have pets?

Claire.

Pets of the Homeless: Attachment Figures and Social Support

Waiting at traffic lights, I watch a man with a shopping cart and a dog. He has few possessions; just a couple of bags in the cart. He sets a bowl on the sidewalk and pours water in from a bottle. The dog is waiting expectantly.

On the way home, I pass them again. This time, the dog is riding in the cart – there’s no space for many possessions when you have a Golden Retriever to fit in.  The dog looks happy, watching the world go by, while the man pushes hard to move the trolley.

The bond between man and dog is obvious. But should homeless people have pets? Why do they have them?

Read more: Psychology Today

• Like 8

Absolutely they should have pets.

For some people they give them a reason to live.

The truth is I choked up little reading that.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Absolutely they should have pets.

For some people they give them a reason to live.

The truth is I choked up little reading that.

Yep , I cant even open the link I know ill be leaking from my eyeballs in a heartbeat. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Yep , I cant even open the link I know ill be leaking from my eyeballs in a heartbeat. 

Same here.

• Like 5

No, because they can't care for them properly.

I have a Golden Retriever.

• Like 1

It's soul crushing to see anyone in such dire straights. 

I support them having pets so long as the animal is not in distress. 

I understand the bond between pets and owners, as I have a cat whom I'd die for.

I can however see how one might differ on opinion, but either way I'm sure it comes from a good place.

Here's to all of us, that we never have to make that choice. 

<3

• Like 5

Are homeless people entitled to human rights? Just thought I throw another absurd question into the mulligan stew.

• Like 4

Should they? Who would presume to decide? It's up to the animal.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

Since the ice is broken now, I will also confess that there was a time where I was homeless myself. The truth is I lost everything. My house, 2 cars, and of course my job. My dog Turbo helped me recover and get back on my feet. He lived to the age of 16.

You guys are gonna make me cry! I hate crying! But everything you both said is true, and I'm glad your situations have improved. Of course anyone who finds themselves homeless should have a pet, that's a no brainer. Chances are the pet they have may also be homeless, so why not team up? The saying home is where the heart is could be changed to home is where your pet is. I can't imagine how horrible it is to be homeless, for both humans and animals. I have been lucky. But if I ever did find myself in that situation I would have a pet. Not only would that lift my spirits in a bad situation, but it would provide me with unconditional love and companionship, and the same goes for the pet I would have. It would also give me a reason to go on in a particularly bleak period of life.I don't know if this applies to all homeless people, but I would feel as though no one cared about me, and having the companionship of an animal would change that feeling, and I'm sure the animal would feel the same way. So, sure, it sounds like a win- win situation for both human and animal.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, alibongo said:

For many people, a pet is their only source of kindness and companionship. At least they have someone to talk to but I fear there will be certain city officials that will not only confiscate (legalized theft) a homeless persons meager belongings and kick them out of mini-homes built for them by charity groups but will steal their pets from them too.

Sometimes a pet is the only thing that keeps a person sane and saves them from suicide.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, alibongo said:

A town who cannot care for their own humans properly and is structured so anyone can fall through the cracks from cradle to grave would be hypocrites to claim one of their own neglected humans should not have a pet because the pet would be neglected. 

And does this town have strays and if not do they allow kill shelters? 

The relationship between the homeless man and his pet might be one of the strongest source of goodness in that town due to such bonds even if between people always enrich a community.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, and then said:

I became homeless because i was ashamed of the human being I had become.  That knowledge depresses a person in their heart of hearts.Animals that offer compassion ship to a human who KNOWS he's broken, They make no judgments.  They just need  to be close to someone who will care.  I will always believe they are God's own gift to hurting humanity.

20 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

Since the ice is broken now, I will also confess that there was a time where I was homeless myself. The truth is I lost everything. My house, 2 cars, and of course my job. My dog Turbo helped me recover and get back on my feet. He lived to the age of 16.

Maybe "houseless" for a time but extending resources to take care of a pet when already going without  yourself shows true love behind your relationships with your pets.

Such genuine bonding means you always had a "home" while those with houses that lacked true care cannot be called homes. 

Thank you for making a safe place for them and bless your hearts for blessing others through them.

Edited by I hide behind words
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Perdurabo said:

Should they? Who would presume to decide? It's up to the animal.

Well, I asked my Golden what her views were on this topic, but for some reason she didn't reply (she never does) but she did show a lot of interest in some "dated" meat products I brought back from the supermarket. She is not really very political.

They probably have them for companionship, but also because it's dangerous being homeless. 

I think the better question is should such an affluent country have homeless people.

• Like 6

In the UK ,beggars have dogs with them as it increases sympathy or intimidation.

In the UK, no one has to beg from necessity- each areas local Social Security services has to provide accommodation.

We are a First World country.

It is also not true that the majority of rough sleepers have mental illnesses- we have a very comprehensive national health service, to which all have access.

In the UK, the street sleepers have their own motive to live like they do-it is a life-style choice. We, who like our 3-bed semis may not agree with it, but we can't stop it.

It makes me chuckle, when I see an unkempt person, with a dog, and a collecting receptacle, when both he and I know he could get accommodation immediately by going to the local council offices!

They often agree with this, and I am sure they are keen to get me to move away so they can get on with the begging.

Some, but not all of course, do have nice houses and cars.

5 hours ago, I hide behind words said:

A town who cannot care for their own humans properly and is structured so anyone can fall through the cracks from cradle to grave would be hypocrites to claim one of their own neglected humans should not have a pet because the pet would be neglected. 

And does this town have strays and if not do they allow kill shelters? 

The relationship between the homeless man and his pet might be one of the strongest source of goodness in that town due to such bonds even if between people always enrich a community.

It doesn't apply in the UK.We can care for our humans.

Yeah, sure it doesn't..        :huh:                                https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/25/homelessness-crisis-england-perfect-storm

Edited by Hammerclaw

By this logic then maybe they should have kids too.

I been homeless, I had a dog at the time.  He was a big dog and we were camping in the woods.  I felt a lot better having the dog to keep dangerous varmints away, four and two legged kinds.  I would rather be homeless, than be without my dog, if you want to know the truth.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

I been homeless, I had a dog at the time.  He was a big dog and we were camping in the woods.  I felt a lot better having the dog to keep dangerous varmints away, four and two legged kinds.  I would rather be homeless, than be without my dog, if you want to know the truth.  

You know, many  people say that they would go homeless than give up their pet to the pound to move to a public housing that doesn't except pets. I saw a few people including families loose home and live from  the truck or car, because pets weren't allowed in the places that could help. 

Family stays together and that includes pets! 

• Like 4

It depends on the specifics of the situation. I used to know  a beagle whose people lived in a really nice house, and they owned a cabin as a getaway. They would regularly go off and leave the dog tied up in their backyard for ten or twelve hours unattended, sometimes longer than that. In this state, you can do that as long as you leave the dog water and she has access to some shelter. Water freezes in the winter. Ice in a bowl counts as water as far as the law is concerned. Food isn't required until a much longer time is involved. The people complied with the law. Lucky dog.

She would have been better off with a homeless person; not every homeless person, but some? Gotta be.

Some people suck with animals and some people don't, and who's who has little to do with where the people live, and how.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 5