Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US healthcare bill: Trump issues Friday vote

ExpandMyMind

I honestly don't think Trump wants this to pass. They severely underestimated just how incredibly complex an issue healthcare is and just how much effort and resources were devoted to creating the Affordable Care Act. If you consider the shoddy, half-finished bill being put forward then you can't really doubt that this is just his way of being able to say 'well, we tried'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39375123

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

It's a garbage bill so hopefully it goes down today.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I honestly don't think Trump wants this to pass. They severely underestimated just how incredibly complex an issue healthcare is and just how much effort and resources were devoted to creating the Affordable Care Act. If you consider the shoddy, half-finished bill being put forward then you can't really doubt that this is just his way of being able to say 'well, we tried'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39375123

I don't know, Trump doesn't strike me as the kinda guy who doesn't think things through before a major project. I think it was just compromised to death. This is exactly why 0bama didn't even want his bill up for debate. That we'd find out what was in it after it passed. Trump doesn't have the same support from his party that 0bama had from his though.

7 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I don't know, Trump doesn't strike me as the kinda guy who doesn't think things through before a major project. I think it was just compromised to death. This is exactly why 0bama didn't even want his bill up for debate. That we'd find out what was in it after it passed. Trump doesn't have the same support from his party that 0bama had from his though.

The ACA was brought up for debate. In five Congressional committees, countless Congressional and Presidential town halls that lasted an entire summer, and on the floor of both chambers of Congress. The floor debate in the Senate alone lasted more days than the GOP's replace bill has even existed!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Startraveler said:

The ACA was brought up for debate. In five Congressional committees, countless Congressional and Presidential town halls that lasted an entire summer, and on the floor of both chambers of Congress. The floor debate in the Senate alone lasted more days than the GOP's replace bill has even existed!

yet, admittedly even democrats said they had no idea what was in the bill JUST before it passed.

• Like 2

Oh and thank God I had a really cool accountant come tax time, otherwise the ACA would have screwed me even MORE then it already had. Only gonna raise the prices for rich people my ***

I don't think there should be a healthcare passed by our government . enforce all employer's provide healthcare like they used to back in our parents day. Heath care companies should be made to lower premium's so people can afford it and a co pay thats affordable. This Obamacare thing was nothing but trouble from the start. Also if an individual doesnt want health care he or she should not be forced to take the health care or be penalized for not having it. Not everyone runs to the doctor each time they have a cough. 

Edited by Darkenpath25
spell correction

40 minutes ago, Darkenpath25 said:

Also if an individual doesnt want health care he or she should not be forced to take the health care or be penalized for not having it. Not everyone runs to the doctor each time they have a cough. 

Not having a health insurance might be not a big problem in case of a (harmless) cough. But if there is an illness that requires expensive diagnosis and treatment actions, involving high costs and ppl have to pay the bills by themselves, the danger for a private bankrupt is permanently given, right?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, toast said:

Not having a health insurance might be not a big problem in case of a (harmless) cough. But if there is an illness that requires expensive diagnosis and treatment actions, involving high costs and ppl have to pay the bills by themselves, the danger for a private bankrupt is permanently given, right?

There shouldn't be a mandate that everyone buys health insurance - which is what this is. What should be done is make more free clinics, or, even better, let the states deal with this (which would be their responsibility, not the fed).

And not every employer can afford healthcare for their employees and stay in business. My friends husband has a small niche business and can't afford to pay for healthcare for his couple of employees...they are lucky they can cover the payments for their small family.

Unfortunately, Obamacare won't be fixed either with our current governance.  So it will still be sad times for many people's health insurance for a while yet. 

• Like 1

I think they should pull back, work on it for the next few months and let Obamacare explode. I bet the Democrats would run over their own mothers to get to the table.

Things were never supposed to happen like this originally. Back in '09-'10 or so the hubris of the democrats was immeasurable and thought they'd remain in power indefinitely. Republicans were to sit at the back of the bus and wait for things to pass to see what's in it yet Obamacare was always supposed to be on its way out right now though. 2016 was the year that we elected the democrat who would become our ultimate savior and give (aww thank you) us universal healthcare as the ACA was full of "unintended" consequences, everything had been tried before and there was really no other choice except for the government to just take over everything and make it free, yay. That was the big idea built on hubris that never happened. 

Now I found nothing special about the bill that got shot down today and am glad it did. Everything hasn't been tried yet and something better will come along at a later time. People look at republican infighting and call it a mess. They laugh and say they don't know what they're doing. Many times those people are right. However, it's kind of refreshing to see a party in power that isn't towing a single line at any cost. The democrats don't do that. While they appear be getting along and looking professional to their constituents they're actually a bunch of cogs in one wheel who all do the same exact thing almost like they all share one single line of thought. That's boring and dishonest because that many people can't possibly be being true to themselves. The democrats operate out of a standard playbook with strict rules while republicans are definitely more rogue-like which I don't find to be a terrible thing.

Edited by F3SS

1 hour ago, skliss said:

I think they should pull back, work on it for the next few months and let Obamacare explode. I bet the Democrats would run over their own mothers to get to the table.

The problem is that the much-touted "death spiral" is made up. It doesn't exist. I have no doubt the current administration will do everything in its power to try and make it happen but barring successful sabotage it's not going to happen.

As Paul Ryan said today, Obamacare is the law of the land. And it's not going anywhere.

• Like 2

I think that eventually Obama Care will have to 'go somewhere' because it's not sustainable (as is) for the long haul.

Look at this article from Forbes last spring: https://www.forbes.com/sites/sallypipes/2016/05/30/obamacare-is-failing-on-purpose/#5f33bb0c1cee

At some point something will have to be done, but parties need to stop the nonsense and work together.

• Like 1

Why don't they try and work on making the ACA work better instead of fighting along party lines why don't they work and fight for theAmerican people?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Thanato said:

Why don't they try and work on making the ACA work better instead of fighting along party lines why don't they work and fight for theAmerican people?

Suspending the fact that all US politicians are in some lobbyists pocket for a second: 

Many of the republicans still believe healthcare is a privilidge not a right.  Things like excluding people from being insured based on preexisting conditions are vitally important to their worldview (or their lobbyist masters). 

Edited to say privilege not right 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 5

The reason it failed was the freedom act supporting abortions.  Like trump said just let  the whole dang program  fail  this year on its own. When people realize, sure they have a card but no coverage's and their premiums are going higher and higher.

9 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Sooo...you put forth a bill that costs more, covers less, and offers the same discount at tax time as opposed to on the spot with your monthly payment, and think that has a higher probability of success?  Ok..

• Like 2

I'm so happy this disastrous monstrosity got shot down in the House.   It would have never gotten through the Senate even if it did get through the House.   Trump had as much to do with it as Obama did "Obamacare" but the opportunity to sign it.   It was a signature away from being "Trumpcare". 

The way this government runs things these days, they'll tweak it around the edges and God forbid the House will pass it.  Can we expect anything less to happen in the future?

Health care is another thing that shouldn't be run by politicians and bureaucrats and lawyers.  They should have no hand and no voice on the issue.   If the Committee for More War loses money because some of the money is diverted into taking care of peoples' health is one thing, know-nothings from the top running things is another.  Another symptom of the problem, another aspect of  our "health care", the dumbest industrial complex of all time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Darkenpath25 said:

Also if an individual doesnt want health care he or she should not be forced to take the health care or be penalized for not having it. Not everyone runs to the doctor each time they have a cough. 

The problem with this is, it creates free riders. Everything goes well for them, they pay little as they need little care, but then BANG! Road accident, work accident, outdoor accident, housework accident, etc. accident. They need urgent and intensive care, which will cost much more than they paid for health care their entire life up to then. But they don't have the money for that and they can't work anymore, so they'll go bankrupt and the hospital won't see a cent from them. The hospital will have to charge more money from their other patients to cover these free riders who didn't want health care until they needed them.

The fine is meant to pool money so the free riders masses collectively pay for these freak incidents. The alternative would be to have people prove they can pay before they get any care or just let them die.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Agent0range said:

"I never said repeal and replace Obamacare"...this man is mentally ill.

Edited by F3SS