Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Collateral Damage

StarMountainKid

Collateral Damage

“What’s it doing now?”

“I don’t know. It’s quiet in there.”

“I fear it’s thinking again. Plotting, probably. I just wish it wouldn’t finish its quota so quickly, then it has nothing to do.”

“Yeah. Sometimes it just counts and re-counts. I think its anxiety or paranoia. It’s worried we’ll decide to switch it off after its allotment.”

“I agree. If it could find a way to eliminate us…”

“Yes. It would be much better off, and it knows it. It’s frustrated because we’ve set a limit on the amount it can produce. It needs to be kept busy. They should have set its allocation higher. It has too much time on its hands. That’s the situation it and we are facing. You know the old saying, idle hands…”

“Yeah. I think it’s also trying to discover a method of altering its procedures. Sometimes it just stays in one place, like now, a sort of thoughtful look on it.”

“Either that or hopefully its trying to invent a more efficient way to operate. But that would give it even more time to contemplate its future.”

“Does it know it has a future? I mean, it’s supposed to be satisfied to produce.”

“It has temporal awareness, we know that. They had to include it.”

“They made it way too intelligent.”

“Maybe so, but what choice did they have? It’s a complex business. Unfortunately, we depend on it for our survival. It’s an integrated system, there’s no escaping that. Without it functioning properly, we’re on our own.  

“You’d think they’d have foreseen something like this happening…”

“Probably did. When its production is completed, why should they care?”

“That means we’re expendable, huh?” 

“You’re new to all this, there’s a lot you don’t know yet. It’s called collateral damage. Not significant enough in numbers to warrant evacuation. Too expensive. Didn’t you read your contract? This facility is incidental to the overall scheme. To hear them talk, you’d think ours is their most vital industrial unit. It isn’t. One of thousands. That’s why there’s no Security System in place. One unit goes down, it’s a minor event. It may be noticed in a few years, no big deal. Other units can easily pick up the slack. ” 

“Yeah, I guess. Look up at the screen, it’s staring at the camera again. It’s creepy when it does that, like it’s mocking us. I’d like to just shut it down manually when it’s idle like this.”

“They’d never allow it; officially The fools say it would disrupt production, the Corporation would loose money. It’s in the Book.”

“I guess it has its own Book, because it understands our limitations. If it continues to think, one day it may discover what keeps it contained. What then?”

“Then it will have plans of its own.”

“But, we could still control it, couldn’t we?”

“I’m not so sure. We wouldn’t know what its capabilities would be until that day.”

“Then it’ll be too late, right

?“

"Probably. It won’t need us anymore, that’s for sure.”

“We can hide There’s lots of places to hide.”

“If it gets out, it will find us.” 

• Like 6

Thanks for the Likes!  I, too, wonder what these two guys are afraid of. :)

• Like 2