Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Permian mass extinction 'could happen again'

UM-Bot

Ahhh, love the smell of propaganda in the morning.

It was an impact event, ffs. "Runaway Global Warming" might cause an extinction event, but how could it result in global fossilization?

The impact or impacts set off the volcanoes. If there was runaway heating it most likely indicates a deep ocean impact site, which would put massive amounts of water vapor into the atmosphere, which would result in a real greenhouse effect, since water vapor is by far the strongest cause of atmospheric greenhousing. CO2 doesn't even show up on the scale when compared to water vapor.

The CO2 released by the erupting volcanoes was incidental. It's biggest effect was most likely in stimulating plant regrowth after things calmed down.

Incidentally, I do find it fascinating that volcanic CO2 is cited as the sole cause of warming by these, err...scientists. A single volcanic eruption can release as much CO2 in a few days as the entire human race puts out in a decade, but nevertheless we have been repeatedly told that modern volcanic eruptions are not a factor in climate change and most certainly do not take any of the blame away from humans. That somehow, volcanic CO2 is "different" than the CO2 released by humans.

Lies, lies, everywhere you look.

Edited by Tsurugi
  • Like 2

I'll be much more comfortable with the comparison when millions of cubic kilometers of 1200 C basalt pour out in Siberia.

I don't know which ending I prefer death by ice age or death by global warming.

Choose wisely.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, Tsurugi said:

Ahhh, love the smell of propaganda in the morning.

Unfortunately, it is almost mandatory to link your research to some practical result if you want to get published.  I'd say they're reaching a long way to find something "practical."

Jim Hansen's estimate is that if we burn all the available fossil fuels we already know about, the earth's temperature will approach the boiling point.  That's well above the 29C the article mentioned.  Of course, Hansen's book was published quite awhile back and I don't know if there is more up-to-date information for that (Like, for example, temperature rises slower as CO2 concentration increases; that might have a lot to do with Hansen's estimate.).

Anyway, worth reading up on.

Doug

8 hours ago, Doug1o29 said:

Jim Hansen's estimate is that if we burn all the available fossil fuels we already know about, the earth's temperature will approach the boiling point.  That's well above the 29C the article mentioned.  Of course, Hansen's book was published quite awhile back and I don't know if there is more up-to-date information for that (Like, for example, temperature rises slower as CO2 concentration increases; that might have a lot to do with Hansen's estimate.).

Complete nonsense. 

What my results show is that if you put about ten times as much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as you would get from burning all the coal, oil, and gas—about 30,000 parts per million—then you could cause a runaway greenhouse today. So burning all the fossil fuels won't give us a runaway greenhouse.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/13/130729-runaway-greenhouse-global-warming-venus-ocean-climate-science/