Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Breitbart: reef bleaching fake news

Unusual Tournament

Breitbart's James Delingpole says reef bleaching is 'fake news', hits peak denial

t takes a very special person to label the photographed, documented, filmed and studied phenomenon of mass coral bleaching on the Great Barrier Reef“fake news”.

You need lashings of chutzpah, blinkers the size of Donald Trump’s hairspray bill and more hubris than you can shake a branch of dead coral at. 

It also helps if you can hide inside the bubble of the hyper-partisan Breitbart media outlet, whose former boss is the US president’s chief strategist.

So our special person is the British journalist James Delingpole who, when he’s not denying the impacts of coral bleaching, is denying the science of human-caused climate change, which he says is “the biggest scam in the history of the world”.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/planet-oz/2017/mar/24/breitbarts-james-delingpole-says-reef-bleaching-is-fake-news-hits-peak-denial

• Like 8

Call fake news on real news and push your fake news as the real news. Try saying that 10 times real fast...

• Like 6

I, uh , um  ........I think exasperated is the proper word at this point. Not that people have opinions, thats all fine and well, but that this particular person and this particular opinion is part of the President of the United States' information network. Two months ago this would have been disheartening, after the whole legalizing lead shot debacle (Ironically a bald eagle died from lead poisoning the same day they did that Bald eagle dies of severe lead poisoning) and legalizing coal mine waste being dumped in rivers I definitely think exasperating is the right term. 

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, PersonFromPorlock said:

Best to let Dellingpole speak for himself.

Facepalm embodied 

• Like 1

Well, having a degree in English Language and Literature makes him a superior expert in the fields of meteorology and climate research.

Diletantes olé!

• Like 8

They want to create their own reality. In a way, they have. They live in a bubble where facts don't matter. The problem is that outside of that bubble, Mother Nature isn't cooperating with them. 

• Like 6

Funnily enough this was playing on my playlist as I was reading through the thread ... a nice music interlude considering the occasion ...

~

~

The fact that Breitbart keeps writing about seemingly random things as far away from Trumpland as possible makes me think they're trying as hard as they can to distract away from the problems back home.

• Like 3

On 3/25/2017 at 5:09 PM, PersonFromPorlock said:

Best to let Dellingpole speak for himself.

Agreed. Are we just going to fill threads with "headline reaction posts" again? Let's see where Dellingpole is coming from:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/03/20/delingpole-great-barrier-reef-still-not-dying-whatever-washington-post-says/

If you want to get the real facts, you have to seek them out at places like Jo Nova.

In a nutshell: a governmment funded group finds some bleached coral on the Great Barrier Reef, and repackages the stats to come up with the apocalyptic statistic that only 7% of the reef is not bleached!  The SMH reported that “93% of the corals” are damaged. The reef is 2,000 kilometers long. Did anyone really think about these headlines?

Then in a development that “no one” could see coming, local tourism is damaged, potentially costing a lot of jobs.

“And the loss of these tourists could cost our tourism industry a whopping $1 billion a year, a report out today by The Australia Institute warned.”

Or listen to honest experts like Professor Peter Ridd, a marine geophysicist from Australia’s James Cook University, who last year tried to blow the whistle on Great Barrier Reef fake news.

Instead of being applauded for his integrity, he was censured in a kangaroo court orchestrated by his alarmist colleagues, and found guilty of “failing to act in a collegial way and in the academic spirit of the institution”.

Dellingpole links to another article he wrote, alleging the reports surrounding the reef are largely exaggerated:

According to one scaremongering report earlier this year only 7 percent of the reef remains undamaged by “coral bleaching” – one of the dire consequences, we’re repeatedly informed by experts, of global warming.

However, this was based on a survey by a local environmental activist, Professor Terry Hughes whose National Coral Bleaching Task Force is naturally somewhat dependent on proving there is a major problem. As Jo Nova reports, its findings were considered so suspect that the chairman of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, Russell Reichelt refused to endorse them in a planned joint statement. This is how Graham Lloyd reported it in the Australian [paywalled]

Dr Reichelt said maps accompanying the research had been misleading, exaggerating the ­impact. “I don’t know whether it was a deliberate sleight of hand or lack of geographic knowledge but it certainly suits the purpose of the people who sent it out,” he said.

“This is a frightening enough story with the facts, you don’t need to dress them up. We don’t want to be seen as saying there is no ­problem out there but we do want people to understand there is a lot of the reef that is unscathed.”

Dr Reichelt said there had been widespread misinterpretation of how much of the reef had died.

“We’ve seen headlines stating that 93 per cent of the reef is prac­tic­ally dead,” he said.

He's not right (probably,) but he's also not totally wrong. The marine geophysicist Peter Ridd being silenced is suspect and any organization that by definition requires a certain outcome ("National Coral Bleaching Task Force",) is also suspect. C'mon guys, this isn't hard to do. Just follow the links and read.

On 3/26/2017 at 8:12 AM, ChaosRose said:

They want to create their own reality. In a way, they have. They live in a bubble where facts don't matter. The problem is that outside of that bubble, Mother Nature isn't cooperating with them. 

Like 70+ gender types? Like ignoring Medical Science because facts are discrimination? Like "white privilege"? Like pretending abortion is not murder? Like Sharia Law is beneficial for women? Which reality bubble are you referring to?

4 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Like 70+ gender types? Like ignoring Medical Science because facts are discrimination? Like "white privilege"? Like pretending abortion is not murder? Like Sharia Law is beneficial for women? Which reality bubble are you referring to?

The one that anthropological climate change deniers seem to live in. Plus, we're not talking about gender identity, white privilege, abortion, Sharia law, and any other topic you like to rant about in this thread. Not every thread is about ranting against the "SJWs."

MOre stats ...

~

image-20160426-1344-1pyvc37.jpg

~

Make no mistake: what is happening is very serious. But to state that “climate change has destroyed 93% of the Great Barrier Reef” is a misrepresentation of the situation.

Perhaps the more accurate way to frame the results (and indeed the wording used in the media release) is to say that only 7% of the coral reefs across the Great Barrier Reef have completely avoided bleaching. The situation is bad enough even when sticking to the facts.

• the conversation link

~
Seriously ... its seriously bad ... and its so bad its serious ...

~

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Visual Novel said:

The one that anthropological climate change deniers seem to live in. Plus, we're not talking about gender identity, white privilege, abortion, Sharia law, and any other topic you like to rant about in this thread. Not every thread is about ranting against the "SJWs."

Read my post in context, try not to be triggered going in to the qeekend.

25 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Read my post in context, try not to be triggered going in to the qeekend.

You're trying to say that you can't judge anti environmentalists because some people on their side do the exact same thing (which you assume ChaosRose is a liberal, even though I have never heard them say that.) That's what I got from your post, if I interpreted it wrong, please correct me.

Also, try not to make trigger jokes at someone with PTSD. Thanks.

Edited by Visual Novel
  • Like 2