Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Windows 7 on Windows 10 laptop?

acute

From ZDnet :

Here's Microsoft's list of Skylake devices that will be supported when running Windows 7

Microsoft has provided its promised list of more than 100 Skylake-based PCs that will be supported through July 2017 when running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

By Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft | January 22, 2016 -- 18:53 GMT (02:53 GMT+08:00) | Topic: Windows

~

The breakdown and run down from Forbes ...

Microsoft Massive Backtrack: Extends Windows 7 And 8.1 Intel Skylake Support

Antony Leather , Contributor

Seeing as security updates are paramount and reliability updates very important too, if you upgrade to a Kaby Lake processor  when they're launched soon, the likelihood is you'll need to be running Windows 10 or at the very least, install updates manually; that would clearly be a pain and there's no guarantee that Microsoft won't write code into them that prevents installation on older operating systems too.

It's another mess in a long saga of issues for Windows 10, which passed its one year anniversary recently and also received a major update in the form of the aptly-titled Anniversary Update. However, at least if you plan on running your older operating system, for the time being, you'll continue to enjoy support for a few years yet.

~

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

You are using a Skylake CPU there so you need Windows 10.

The official stance is older version of windows won't work with newer CPUs. I'm surprised they even managed to get Windows 7 installed and suspect you will encounter many problems with it. At the very minimum it cannot use the advanced features built into newer chips but I suspect you will also encounter bugs, crashes and performance issues.

The sad thing is for the same money you could have got a currently valid previous generation CPU (Haswell or Broadwell) which is both more powerful than the CPU you are using while being completely compatible with WIndows 7.

Gee, need W10, no l don't, l would rather cut my leg off than install that piece of s**t again.

I did get a quad core, 4k screen res, Toshiba before my current one, with w7 Pro installed, and it still had minor issues, (volume icon would disappear, etc) and that was installed by the manufacturer.

The one l had i3 Toshiba, a few years ago, had similar issues, with w7 Home, the OS also came with the Laptop.

This one isn't perfect either and has similar issues to the two above, l guess that windows 7, inst perfect.

But compare that with 10. ALL video playback including VLC was distorted. After undoing a system restore it went into its endless blue screen loop nightmare, not to mention the fact that it crippled adobe suite within 24 hours, and no privacy.

Maybe Photoshop cannot take advantage of hyperthreading, but cs2 is so old it couldn't take advantage of a quad core either.

A quid core would have costed me over 2k to buy, on Amazon, (Toshiba's are not sold in my country).

And to be honest 97% of the time l would not use a quad core, or most of the time l would not have any more than 4 operations running at once.

Don't worry l have researched this for months, am very happy with it, and l have not seen any major issues arise, only a few minor ones, that more or less happen on all Laptops with w7.

B)

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, Atheist Pope said:

I sympathize with you as I hate the UI of Windows 8 and 10 -- they're optimised for tablets and mobile devices, not desktops or laptops. I bought a Windows 8.1 laptop and I have a legit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate in my CD case, and it was a nightmare to install and get it working properly. Windows Vista and 7 were similar so easy to revert back or upgrade to, but the jump from 7 to 8.1 and 10 is like apples and oranges. I couldn't get the drivers installed as the manufacturer's website only offered Windows 8.1 and 10 drivers! Thus, I flashed the bios, tweaked its settings and after many painstaking hours, managed to get my ethernet driver working. Once I had that port active, I then used a third-party driver program to retrieve the others and now I'm back to the best OS ever invented - Windows 7 Ultimate.

FYI, many experts recommend not using driver downloading software, but in my case, I had a legit license so just used it once connected to the internet to solve the issues and when I went into device manager, all looked good.

Hope you can solve your issues as I can imagine the frustration you've been through.

Thank you, Atheist Pope.

As my Win10 laptop is brand new, I don't want to do anything too drastic, or something that can't be reversed, but it's all interesting stuff!
As you say... Windows 10 is all about convergence between the various platforms.  It's a compromise, and I hate everything about it.

They say there won't be a Windows 11, and it wouldn't be like 7 anyway.

5 hours ago, acute said:

Thank you, Atheist Pope.

As my Win10 laptop is brand new, I don't want to do anything too drastic, or something that can't be reversed, but it's all interesting stuff!
As you say... Windows 10 is all about convergence between the various platforms.  It's a compromise, and I hate everything about it.

They say there won't be a Windows 11, and it wouldn't be like 7 anyway.

Updates will stop in 2025 for Windows 10, then they may bring out something decent, or l will go over to Apple.

But l had the manager or owner tell me "that your Laptop is a pain in the a**e to install Windows 7 Pro on" well him and a Chinese tech, expert, so if you try it yourself, unless you are an expert you might end up frustrated, and have a dead Laptop.

I was supposed, (the advertisement said that it came with 7pro) to have 7pro installed and 10 on a disk, and l got 10 only, so l was able to get it all done under warranty. But if l had to pay, then l would guess that it might run into a few hundred.

As for talk about this chip and that, there is also talk that Photoshop cs2 is Not comparable with windows 10. I have tried it on two Laptops, with 10, both worked perfectly.

Actually a second hand laptop with 10, worked 100% perfectly or the white box around the startup window wasn't there.

Unless you are unlucky cs2 and 10 work well together, well at least til the updates kick in.

B)

• Like 2

Bullocks, actually though I stand corrected , that could be the Official stance:

16 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

The official stance is older version of windows won't work with newer CPU

I'll step out of the conversation now.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

Another thing that worries me about putting (or attempting to put) Windows 7 on the new laptop is... if/when the Win7 updates actually stop.

I think (!!) I am going to leave Windows 10 on there, disable all the spy settings, then try the Windows Classic Shell.

Thank you all for your contributions.
:)

• Like 1

I have 2 huge problems with Win 10....(a) I'm logged in as Administrator (my mistake) Win 10 wont let me change....(b) I use Outlook .com for E-Mails and every time I try to log on it states that my password is incorrect, I'm running out of Passwords as after 1 session it crashes yet Win 8.1 has no trouble. Any ideas would be most appreciated friends to help me solve the 10 crap.

9 hours ago, acute said:

Another thing that worries me about putting (or attempting to put) Windows 7 on the new laptop is... if/when the Win7 updates actually stop.

I think (!!) I am going to leave Windows 10 on there, disable all the spy settings, then try the Windows Classic Shell.

Thank you all for your contributions.
:)

Windows 7 updates stop in 2020, (well, w7 home already has, but Pro updates go longer).

And to be honest Microsoft has subtly tried to mess up w7, so you will go to 10.

So my old Laptop with 7 home, after leaving updates on til recently has....

• created a file issue, so when l want to save a file as 1 or 2, or 3, it tries to force me to save to some file with a similar name, instead of the desktop.

• Crippled the volume control, so l had to use a third party product, so l could hear YT vidoes, or my own video, (and l have to click on this every frickin time)..

• Crippled cs2.

• And messup the the System Restore, so restore points could be wiped away by Microsoft, so cs2 would be permanent mess.

The new one, has updates permanently turned off, since my trust factor for Microsoft is zero. :angry:

And yeah, l also turned off all of the spy settings before installing cs2, (w10) but two ad's showed up every time l turned it on, (two Adobe ad's before the desktop appeared) and then after the first update it was a mess.

Good luck to you. :mellow:

8 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

I have 2 huge problems with Win 10....(a) I'm logged in as Administrator (my mistake) Win 10 wont let me change....(b) I use Outlook .com for E-Mails and every time I try to log on it states that my password is incorrect, I'm running out of Passwords as after 1 session it crashes yet Win 8.1 has no trouble. Any ideas would be most appreciated friends to help me solve the 10 crap.

I would remove the 10 crap!

A few hundred and a day or two, (install W7) and you will be free.

B)

Edited by tmcom

6 hours ago, tmcom said:

Windows 7 updates stop in 2020, (well, w7 home already has, but Pro updates go longer).

And to be honest Microsoft has subtly tried to mess up w7, so you will go to 10.

Have the updates really stopped? It's been a while since I had any to install. (Windows 7 Home Premium)

Why do they want us to use Win10? I don't remember Microsoft bullying everyone to dump Vista or XP. Is it because of the spying that 10 does? :ph34r:

Edited by acute

15 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

Here me mack'm ... hope this is the one up that dark alley ...

~

~

... and try something else besides Outlook ... its been nothing but bad news since Windows 98 ~

~

42 minutes ago, acute said:

Have the updates really stopped? It's been a while since I had any to install. (Windows 7 Home Premium)

Why do they want us to use Win10? I don't remember Microsoft bullying everyone to dump Vista or XP. Is it because of the spying that 10 does? :ph34r:

Yep, Windows 7 Home stopped last year or 2016, Window 7 Pro, will continue til 2020, and the evil incarnate will go til 2025.

No, they have bullied everyone into installing 10 over 8 and 7. Even l got an invite to do so through an email, and have Windows 10 on 4 DVD's if l was insane enough to put it back on, (the tech, department dumped 10 Pro into 4 DVD's from the Laptop).

And are resorting to nastier and nastier ways to do it, (l won't post some of the videos available as it gets colorful to say the least..

They want everyone to have 10 since it kills off Adobe suite cs2, within a few days, so Adobe makes a killing out of subscriptions to their cloud service.

Microsoft have 100% control over anything you have on your computer. So talk about Hitler too much and Microsoft might step in?

They can also kill off any old software at a whim, and there is no way to stop it.

They can throw advertising at you, (free OS).

Basically they have control over most PC, etc users, and can make more money, since most don't turn updates off.

And no, they left XP users alone since it is an SOB to install on new systems.

But yeah, l don't particularly like someone looking over my shoulder, or telling me this software is too old, buy a new one, or p**s away $700 a year to use cs2 on the cloud, or if l discuss a sensitive subject that they will interviene and edit the text, or remove something.

No, l got w7 Pro installed on the most reliable, fastest Laptop available, permanently turned updates off, and told them to **** off. :angry:

But that is just me. ^_^

B)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tmcom said:

Yep, Windows 7 Home stopped last year or 2016, Window 7 Pro, will continue til 2020, and the evil incarnate will go til 2025.

Just need to clear this one up a bit. As far as I know, there's no difference in support between Home and Pro. I stand to be corrected if anyone has a better source.

Mainstream support for Windows 7 ended in 2015. There's a more technical explanation of this, but it's basically things like new features and non-security fixes.

Extended support is scheduled to end in 2020, which, under Microsoft's current system, is currently monthly rollouts of security updates.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet

Basically, Windows 7 still has plenty of life left in it. When it eventually dies, we'll probably have a much better understanding of just what Microsoft's ambitions are with Windows 10 its current trend of reduced privacy and more advertising.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

~

... and try something else besides Outlook ... its been nothing but bad news since Windows 98 ~

~

thanks 3rd Eye but all I can see is a black square

9 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

thanks 3rd Eye but all I can see is a black square

Yikes ... that's gonna take a lot of hands on and on site digging at the system, sorry old boy ...

~

17 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

~

~

Just say screw it and install Ubuntu 

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Just say screw it and install Ubuntu 

or maybe more precisely ... 'unscrew' it perhaps ?

:lol:

~

• Like 2