Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1,200ft-wide UFO reported over Gulf of Mexico

UM-Bot

It's not the first report of the similar object emerging out of water without splashes and then disappearing in a flash. Something tell me it is quite credible. But is it of extra-terrestrial origin? I don't know. It pretty easily may be a rare kind of Fata Morgana involving the sun, note that it was just before dusk.

• Like 1

I wish these articles would provide more detail. What shape was the ship? How far was it from the guys ship when is rose out of the water? how did he determine it was 40' out of the water or it departed at a 30 degree angle? it sounds really accurate but how did he come up with those numbers? What's the name of his ship? whats the name of the other ship which might have seen this UFO?

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Ring bearer said:

I wish these articles would provide more detail. What shape was the ship? How far was it from the guys ship when is rose out of the water? how did he determine it was 40' out of the water or it departed at a 30 degree angle? it sounds really accurate but how did he come up with those numbers? What's the name of his ship? whats the name of the other ship which might have seen this UFO?

This is a 30 degree angle.

image13.gif

You dont need to be a professional physicist to give a proper estimation of what a 30 degree angle is. If he had said; "- It departed at an 34,86 degree angle", I would be a bit more suspicious on that particular piece of information.

• Like 3

"We spoke via telephone with this witness, and he seemed to us to be unusually sober-minded," the organization wrote on its website.

I have been reading UFO books since around 1954 (not so many, lately), and I have never seen a witness described in less than glowing terms. Usually, the attached photo has overtones of Norman Bates.

Still, lots of claimed other witnesses, so either the report will be multiply confirmed, or multiply denied (with accusations of  'Men in Black' to follow). :P

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 6

No camera? Almost everyone these days has a camera/smartphone, or someone in company does.

Perhaps too fast to grab a pic.

But still...

• Like 4

The source of the report appears legitimate. And, given the perceived forty seconds during which this occurred, I could imagine a photo would be difficult and even could be a confound in finding corroboration from others in the vicinity. Though, without corroborating evidence, the event becomes problematic given the physics. In particular, the size of the craft not displacing the water nor showing evidence of water and the speed at which it departed without noise does hamper credibility.

• Like 3

Gosh Darn.  Wouldn't you dang well know it - neither he or any of the other nearby ships or crew (he estimates 50..) had a camera phone....  And gee it's a shame that none of his 4 friends had phones either, nor were willing to be interviewed.  Guess the MIB got'em.

Yes, this one was definitely the one, and this guy was definitely awake, sober, isn't playing a practical joke / troll nor had a vivid dream.  Yeah, definitely legit.

I mean, seriously????

Forgive my sarcasm, but don't you folks see any holes in this story...?

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Same as always...large claims with little to NO evidence ;)

Though it is fun to speculate sometimes about "what if"...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Gosh Darn.  Wouldn't you dang well know it - neither he or any of the other nearby ships or crew (he estimates 50..) had a camera phone....  And gee it's a shame that none of his 4 friends had phones either, nor were willing to be interviewed.  Guess the MIB got'em.

Yes, this one was definitely the one, and this guy was definitely awake, sober, isn't playing a practical joke / troll nor had a vivid dream.  Yeah, definitely legit.

I mean, seriously????

If they did have a camera and took a pic then it would be blurry...right? And if the pic was decent quality then it would be photoshop...right?

• Like 8

All those ships in the area...yet not one recording from Radar?  Forget cameras.... ships have radars.... and a lot have sonar too. If an object that big was rising near ships the radars and sonars should have been going crazy... and if that were the case.... there would be recordings

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, seeder said:

All those ships in the area...yet not one recording from Radar?  Forget cameras.... ships have radars.... and a lot have sonar too. If an object that big was rising near ships the radars and sonars should have been going crazy... and if that were the case.... there would be recordings

My thoughts exactly!

Plus i've been on a ship in the Gulf about the same distance away from land,one can damn near see for miles!An object of that size would have had to of been seen by more than just 5 people...

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Hawkin said:

If they did have a camera and took a pic then it would be blurry...right? And if the pic was decent quality then it would be photoshop...right?

At the moment we have absolutely ZERO corroboration.  That's why I think this is simply a complete fabrication.  But if a couple of pictures surfaced, or, God Forbid, a MOVIE of the thing from different angles from some of these 55 alleged witnesses...? well, that might alleviate that concern.  At the moment, none of them managed it, and none of them are talking except this one dude, who's also the one telling us about the alleged witnesses...  And that's ok with you?

Blurry?  Yes, it might be.  Depends on how dark it was. But anything could still be useful.  Hopefully one of the witnesses might have known that it is better to take a MOVIE of such a scene, as then blurriness is less of a problem - lots of techniques can be applied to a movie.  But may I ask, is this how you justify not taking pictures?  That somebody might dare to criticise its quality?  Do you think that if there really was any genuine alien/interdimensional/whatever activity of this scale going on, that just once, someone in this day and age might actually know what they are doing with a camera and be nearby?

Photoshop fakery?  That is not only common, it's also easy to identify and easy to PROVE.  Would you rather we accept any old fakery, or are you actually interested in the truth? 

Frankly, this sort of whining is about as useful as saying "Swamp Gas reflecting Venus...".

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

So one crew member?

It is so easy to overlook a 1200 ft object. Afterall it is just 100 ft more than one of these: :rolleyes: 

USS_Nimitz.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

I mean, seriously????

Im not arguing for this sighting in particular, although as mentioned it isnt the first time something like he is describing has been reporting BUT

Have you ever had an experience which was paradigm changing? I know with my sighting I didnt give a **** about taking a picture, the thought never even crossed my mind. I was consumed in the moment as my brain was trying to figure out what it was I was seeing, what was happening and whether or not I was in danger. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Im not arguing for this sighting in particular, although as mentioned it isnt the first time something like he is describing has been reporting BUT

Have you ever had an experience which was paradigm changing? I know with my sighting I didnt give a **** about taking a picture, the thought never even crossed my mind. I was consumed in the moment as my brain was trying to figure out what it was I was seeing, what was happening and whether or not I was in danger. 

If it was just me, perhaps.  But a group of folks - you don't think one would have reached for a phone?  And according to him, their ship was near two other oil rigs and possible audience of 50 others...  It was life changing for all of them, and yet he's the only one to have reported it, and none photographed it?

I've now taken a look at the actual report.  For a number of reasons, I'm calling 100% fake.  I'll be back later to give a whole pile of reasons why this smells bad.  BTW, if his description of location is correct (you'd think it would be if he's an engineer), this sighting was quite close to the coastline.  So even more potential witnesses...  and yet all of this points back to one source.  Not a peep from anyone else that I can see.

As always, happy to be proven wrong and will be delighted to apologise... but that doesn't happen often.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 5

Yeah I agree with Farmer,when something unexplainable or traumatic happens the mind can put up a wall as a defense mechanism so that a person doesn't have all of their mental facilities available to them so their reactions to the traumatic event can be effected,it is strange how there isn't more video footage of stuff like this.

Almost as if there is a higher power influencing the masses or the thought processes of the masses.

• Like 2

The types of folks who work these types of jobs are away from family often, and ALWAYS carry cell phones to at least keep in contact. Whether it be by calling, texting, or internet related. Just seems a bit fishy that not a single witness had a cell phone, and not a single photo, even a blurry one, was taken of the spacecraft. I call BS. Someone either looking to profit off the story, write a few articles for UFO sites, or simply wants to relish in some attention. Maybe even just UFO enthusiasts who simply want to garner the attention of the UFO community, even if it means lying to them. 4 fellas get together and concoct a fabricated story that they know could be taken seriously, simply because it's 4 collaborating witnesses. What makes the UFO community believe that 4 guys aren't capable of churning up a good ole fashion fib, as a joke on the world. With enough beer and oysters, you and the fellas could churn up quite a bit of BS.

Edited by xxxdemonxxx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LabotomusRex said:

Yeah I agree with Farmer,when something unexplainable or traumatic happens the mind can put up a wall as a defense mechanism so that a person doesn't have all of their mental facilities available to them so their reactions to the traumatic event can be effected,it is strange how there isn't more video footage of stuff like this.

It's not at all strange if the incidents are not actually happening and people are just making stories up.  Newsflash - that's what some folks like to do...

Almost as if there is a higher power influencing the masses or the thought processes of the masses.

Hmm, which possibility to choose..?  It's a difficult one...

To add to xxx's good points, at some other forums it is being argued that oilrigs ban mobile phones.  Bzzt.  Although a couple of companies do still have restrictions on them, most allow their use and if far offshore have a repeater system (MVC I think it's called), as do larger vessels.  Indeed the guy making the claim made it by phone!

And as far as I can see, only one person is making the claim, or has been 'interviewed'.  I'll be back later to point out how thoroughly they were 'interviewed' by NUFORC.  This sort of stuff re-inforces my already low opinion of UFO report-collecting groups like NUFORC and MUFON..  They would be taken much more seriously - and Ufology would not be the sad laughing stock that it is - if they actually asked a few hard questions and weeded out the bull****...

• Like 2

? not a smoking gun or pipe but just smoke? cripes! thought this was going to be a good one like someday maybe fire ripping down out of the sky with video and all, oh well, good to hear a report I guess.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hawkin said:

Absolutely. As always.

7 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

My thoughts exactly!

Plus i've been on a ship in the Gulf about the same distance away from land,one can damn near see for miles!An object of that size would have had to of been seen by more than just 5 people...

That's why I think if was Fata Morgana. If it was there at all.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked