Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1,200ft-wide UFO reported over Gulf of Mexico

UM-Bot

6 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

It is so easy to overlook a 1200 ft object. Afterall it is just 100 ft more than one of these: :rolleyes: 

USS_Nimitz.jpg

By the way, they could not estimate the size of an object farther than 100 meters from them. I've already been tricked by that illusion myself many times. Human stereoscopy just fails. When there is no object of known size in a certainly direct contact with the object in question you just can't tell anything not about it's size nor of the distance to it. Once I've mistaken a ballistic rocket leaving the atmosphere thousands of kilometres away for a paraglider in a close flyby!

It was at night, I've seen the yellow light, just like of a normal incandescent bulb, moving slowly in a complete silence above the houses. It's trajectory looked like it had some normal perspective distortion to me, i.e. the speed was slowly increasing while it moved at an upward angle. Our area is known for paragliders, but I've never seen anyone flying by night, but I thought then why is that not possible? But then, just all of a sudden, the light started to quickly rotate and faded, leaving a beautiful spiral of glowing fumes behind. I've checked out the sites of some military facilities known for using ballistic missiles to deliver satellites, and there was exactly a launch scheduled, but it was on the border with Kazakhstan. The direction was just correct, so it was a launch of a missile, and what I've seen was the rocket boosters detached from the payload capsule (or whatever it's called).

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 3

In the report (which I'll go through in more detail later), our 'Chief Engineer' says they were roughly 80 miles SE of New Orleans.  Here's what that looks like, courtesy of me and Google Earth....

80milesSEofNewOrleans.jpg.eb3aa841a879dde295dbc7962f3505b4.jpg

Even allowing a bit of wiggle room, you could pretty much throw stones onto that ship from the shore, and I don't think it's deep enough for anything much beyond those wader-trousers that fisherman wear....  So... just as well he ain't a Chief Navigator.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

In the report (which I'll go through in more detail later), our 'Chief Engineer' says they were roughly 80 miles SE of New Orleans.  Here's what that looks like, courtesy of me and Google Earth....

80milesSEofNewOrleans.jpg.eb3aa841a879dde295dbc7962f3505b4.jpg

Even allowing a bit of wiggle room, you could pretty much throw stones onto that ship from the shore, and I don't think it's deep enough for anything much beyond those wader-trousers that fisherman wear....  So... just as well he ain't a Chief Navigator.

You skewed their path to fit your hypothesis I think. If you look at a detailed map of the port of NO you see that its waterway extends into the area where you say their journey ended. I would suggest that they probably considered passing the delta as leaving "new orleans" placing them much farther out to sea. 

Image result for port of new orleans on map

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

I think you're nitpicking here. ^_^ Approximately SE, and approximately 80 miles. I even doubt the sailors tell about the city on land when estimating the distance instead of a closest port.

Added: my wrong here, the port of New Orleans is really in the city. Farmer77 above shown the Mississippi waterway to it just right.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 1

You Merkans.....  Here in Oz, the centre of a town (specifically the Post Office) is used whenever making references like that.  Whether you are a sailor or not.  If he meant 80m SE of the delta, then perhaps he shoulda said so.

Nitpicking?  Maybe, but this is a report from a person wanting to claim credibility for being a 'Chief Engineer'.. and he is using his ruler fast and loose, imo.  If that's the sort of accuracy with which he machines parts for his engines, those ships would definitely *want* to stay near the shore...

• Like 4

If he did see a ufo, it should be noted in the captains log. I wonder if this ufo was actually a large group of birds from the delta

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

If he did see a ufo, it should be noted in the captains log. I wonder if this ufo was actually a large group of birds from the delta

Serves me right for taking so long to post my responses to the report, but you stole what i think is a key point.  If this thing was anywhere near what is claimed, that is a horrifying potential danger to all shipping in that area!

And yes, my tongue is firmly in my cheek as I think it's a load of manure, but if this really is a report by a chief engineer or any seafarer with a clue, their first thought should have been the safety of their ship and of others from any similar occurrences.  Like I was saying, it seems when these sort of reports got to NUFORC or MUFON, theuir reaction is "Oh, really?  Wow, seems legit..."

My reaction would be "And what happened next?" "Did you report this to the captain/bridge?"  "Did anyone on watch see it?" "Did you raise an alarm?" "Were warnings put out to other ships or the alleged nearby rigs", and a whole pile more...

NUFORC/MUFON: "he seemed to us to be unusually sober-minded. We suspect that he is a very capable, and very reliable, witness"  (I'm not kidding, that's what they reported here...)

Me?  I'd immediately ask:  "What vessel was this?"  If he refused to volunteer that info, I'd raise the alarm with the Coast Guard or your marine authorities.  If he gave that information (and why would he not if this was for real?), I'd contact the vessel owners to verify the authenticity of the claim, and ensure that the captain was notified and had logged the event, and that suitable notifications were issued to ships and aircraft in that area..

It sounds to me like NUFORC and MUFON and the like do not have any sort of protocols at all, let alone apply even basic common sense about the issues that a sighting like this might involve.  THINK, people!

• Like 4

Just now, ChrLzs said:

Serves me right for taking so long to post my responses to the report, but you stole what i think is a key point.  If this thing was anywhere near what is claimed, that is a horrifying potential danger to all shipping in that area!

And yes, my tongue is firmly in my cheek as I think it's a load of manure, but if this really is a report by a chief engineer or any seafarer with a clue, their first thought should have been the safety of their ship and of others from any similar occurrences.  Like I was saying, it seems when these sort of reports got to NUFORC or MUFON, theuir reaction is "Oh, really?  Wow, seems legit..."

My reaction would be "And what happened next?" "Did you report this to the captain/bridge?"  "Did anyone on watch see it?" "Did you raise an alarm?" "Were warnings put out to other ships or the alleged nearby rigs", and a whole pile more...

NUFORC/MUFON: "he seemed to us to be unusually sober-minded. We suspect that he is a very capable, and very reliable, witness"  (I'm not kidding, that's what they reported here...)

Me?  I'd immediately ask:  "What vessel was this?"  If he refused to volunteer that info, I'd raise the alarm with the Coast Guard or your marine authorities.  If he gave that information (and why would he not if this was for real?), I'd contact the vessel owners to verify the authenticity of the claim, and ensure that the captain was notified and had logged the event, and that suitable notifications were issued to ships and aircraft in that area..

It sounds to me like NUFORC and MUFON and the like do not have any sort of protocols at all, let alone apply even basic common sense about the issues that a sighting like this might involve.  THINK, people!

I reported my sighting to MUFON and received a call back from the investigator in my area, they asked some very general questions but yeah there was no skepticism. I did get a little weirded out when I got a call from someone else claiming to have answers to what I had seen. They identified themselves as being mufon on my voicemail so without thinking I just called the dude I had spoken to back and he had no idea who had called me. Im positive it was just a miscommunication between MUFONERS but I spent many years learning to be paranoid and so I didnt call them back. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I reported my sighting to MUFON and received a call back from the investigator in my area, they asked some very general questions but yeah there was no skepticism. I did get a little weirded out when I got a call from someone else claiming to have answers to what I had seen. They identified themselves as being mufon on my voicemail so without thinking I just called the dude I had spoken to back and he had no idea who had called me. Im positive it was just a miscommunication between MUFONERS but I spent many years learning to be paranoid and so I didnt call them back. 

It took me a time to sort out who called who. :D So you didn't call back to the number from the voicemail but instead called the same MUFONer that you called the first time. Then I guess he reported your sighting to the central database, then someone else picked it up to investigate further and called you. No mystery here. About the claims of the dude on the voicemail, may be he was just bragging to lure you into giving him more info.

• Like 1

Just now, Chaldon said:

It took me a time to sort out who called who. :D So you didn't call back to the number from the voicemail but instead called the same MUFONer that you called the first time. Then I guess he reported your sighting to the central database, then someone else picked it up to investigate further and called you. No mystery here. About the claims of the dude on the voicemail, may be he was just bragging to lure you into giving him more info.

Oh I know, the only mystery is whether there are any limits to my paranoia ! LOL 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

What do you expect from the organization of amateurs? ;) People having fun, feeling like Mulder.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 1

where were the pictures or videos?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LucidElement said:

where were the pictures or videos?

None.   Do many ships like these have outside cameras?   I know more and more ships are equipped with cameras for security and insurance reasons.  

16 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Im not arguing for this sighting in particular, although as mentioned it isnt the first time something like he is describing has been reporting BUT

Have you ever had an experience which was paradigm changing? I know with my sighting I didnt give a **** about taking a picture, the thought never even crossed my mind. I was consumed in the moment as my brain was trying to figure out what it was I was seeing, what was happening and whether or not I was in danger. 

With my UFO experience not explained to my skeptical side,  it was before I phones. But if I had one,it is the last thing you think of! 

My parents said it was a silver disc that seemed to follow them home. When I visited them it was green white and red pulsating lights. My mother said it was aliens communicating to her when it came closer and sent a white bluish light on her.

I was freaked and ran in the house with my father and watched from the window until it disappeared. 

I didn't report it, but I saw on the local news about UFO. sightings in the area.

I can't explain what it was, but I could see why some people believe in aliens. I don't, it didn't seem to be a physical craft to me. If it really was communicating to my mother, maybe it is some kind of earthly undiscovered life form or interdemensional contact? I don't know but if we ever were contacted by ET from far distances, I think it would be probes not ships carrying real aliens.  

This case report doesn't fly with me. Someone else would have reported or photographed it! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, White Unicorn said:

With my UFO experience not explained to my skeptical side,  it was before I phones. But if I had one,it is the last thing you think of! 

My parents said it was a silver disc that seemed to follow them home. When I visited them it was green white and red pulsating lights. My mother said it was aliens communicating to her when it came closer and sent a white bluish light on her.

I was freaked and ran in the house with my father and watched from the window until it disappeared. 

I didn't report it, but I saw on the local news about UFO. sightings in the area.

I can't explain what it was, but I could see why some people believe in aliens. I don't, it didn't seem to be a physical craft to me. If it really was communicating to my mother, maybe it is some kind of earthly undiscovered life form or interdemensional contact? I don't know but if we ever were contacted by ET from far distances, I think it would be probes not ships carrying real aliens.  

This case report doesn't fly with me. Someone else would have reported or photographed it! 

Don't know what to say. I probably live in a different reality. Been looking keenly at the skies all my life (35 years) and never ever seen anything truly unexplainable. No silver discs emanating beams of light, no turnip-headed humanoids with almond-shaped eyes and salad-coloured skin, no nothing.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, UM-Bot said:

A crew member of an offshore supply ship claimed the object was 'five times the size' of his vessel.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/305757/1200ft-wide-ufo-reported-over-gulf-of-mexico

To build a 1200 foot spacecraft which has an electrically charged hull (the cavitation effect with the water) then that would require a huge budget. The only country to be spending $100 billions over the last few decades on defence is the Americans. And it happens in the Gulf of Mexico too....

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

cavitation effect

Yeah they've small ones, if I commented in here earlier that was the term I couldn't remember, was thinking of getting iinto that but the bond and insurance was out of this world, tourist crap you know.

• Like 1

Just a Promo stunt for the next Bond movie.

• Like 4

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, EllJay said:

This is a 30 degree angle.

image13.gif

You dont need to be a professional physicist to give a proper estimation of what a 30 degree angle is. If he had said; "- It departed at an 34,86 degree angle", I would be a bit more suspicious on that particular piece of information.

I agree you don't need to be a professional physicist . but we are also talking about an object of questionable size at an unknown distance in the middle of the ocean where there is no reference points.

• Like 2

That's one big Twinkie..... O.o

1 hour ago, MWoo7 said:

Yeah they've small ones, if I commented in here earlier that was the term I couldn't remember, was thinking of getting iinto that but the bond and insurance was out of this world, tourist crap you know.

I have seen experiments where two stopwatches are started, one is put into a metallic sphere that then gets charged up to 100,000s of volts, then at the end of experiment when the times on both stopwatches are compared they discover a time dilation effect. Basically strong electro-magnetic fields can be used to create warp drives.

Necessary for long-term spaceflight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ring bearer said:

I agree you don't need to be a professional physicist . but we are also talking about an object of questionable size at an unknown distance in the middle of the ocean where there is no reference points.

Yeah, sure, but it is a matter of distance. If I was on a ship and a disc came out of the water lets say; 200-300 meters (700 to 1000 feet) away, one could estimate the size pretty well, within limits. The further away it is the harder it becomes - and especially if it is, as they claimed, a disc with no other features. If we compare it to seeing an oil tanker in the horizon you could see the features of it, and the shape, and you would know its an oil tanker and not a toy boat within a closer distance, right? Because you know the relevant size of an oil tanker.

J7Uxhut.jpg?1

But there is a sort of a "breaking-point" - which is very hard to say when it exactly kicks in - where you can discern and guestimate the size of an object in relevance to the waves of the ocean. The "famous" Loch Ness-photo is a picture where you see that the waves, and wave-pattern - and how they relate to the object - looks "unnatural" in how waves would look around a larger object (as they claimed this Nessie was). xrNm3OA.jpg

This man who reported on this UFO claimed he saw; " a craft that appeared to be five times our 240 ft vessel in length. My line of sight was about 1/4 mile from our vessel. There was a rig behind the craft about a 1/2 mile. I used this to help gauge size of craft." ( http://gcaptain.com/ufo-spotted-in-gulf-of-mexico-osv-engineer-says-large-craft-seen-hovering-near-rigs/   ) If he by rig, means an oil-rig, and with this oil-rig behind the craft - from his position - he had the size of something that he knows the actual size of. So he has a pretty good case for estimating the size of this craft. If there actually was a craft at all there - but that's another question. But his reasoning, of estimating the size, is fairly OK.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:
9 hours ago, MWoo7 said:

I have seen experiments where two stopwatches are started, one is put into a metallic sphere that then gets charged up to 100,000s of volts, then at the end of experiment when the times on both stopwatches are compared they discover a time

thats idiocy give it some thought

I mentioned compression or whatever the flavor of jargon/lingo that you omitted ,

nice !

I'll note jackie

!

sakes!

FAMILY SITE

is that in even remotely the same realm that was mentioned?

GRADE F!

I did not have the patience and obviously still don't , please excuse me well not really

obviously the CAVITATION PART WAS NOT SEEN

compression of air over watere ring a bell eh?

Sssssssssss was someone talking sound or transporting to other time line? GOD ! echo echo !!!!

Lets talk rabbits )(E$*)@#(* uck! get a #(*&$  clue oh wellz no reply no comment LATERZZZZZ

Edited by MWoo7

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked