Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'They want to see if you're squishy'

Likely Guy

Sea lions don't bite — hard, according to Vancouver Island filmmaker Russell Clark.

The avid scuba diver and underwater cameraman recently went for a swim with dozens of sea lions off the coast of Hornby Island — and they didn't hold back on the nibbles.

"It's not painful at all," he told host Robyn Burns on CBC's All Points West. "They want to see if you're squishy I think."

Clark is part of a growing community of divers exploring the depths of B.C.'s South Coast. In fact, he says the abundance of marine wildlife along the coastline's ecosystems has helped the province become a go-to destination for underwater filmmakers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/they-want-to-see-if-you-re-squishy-swarm-of-sea-lions-nibble-on-divers-in-stunning-video-1.4041228?cmp=googleeditorspick&google_editors_picks=true

Do watch the video!

• Like 9

What are you prattling on about, you British Columbian fool?

(I love you really)

• Like 5

That was cool!

• Like 2

I dunno about all this -- I've seen what a sea lion will do to a penguin.

• Like 5

Like a pack of puppies, very cool. Terrifying for a dude with some issues about the ocean, but still very cool 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

I share Frank's misgivings, those little b***ers have an evil glint in their eyes! I think the only reason they're 'not biting hard' is because they don't like the taste of the wet suits and metal ..... they know they're not edible. Swim with them in nothing but your speedoes and it would be a very different matter!

• Like 4

I wouldn't want to be down there as I AM a bit squishy in the middle and they would probably think for sure that I'm a penguin and eat me.  :yes:

Edited by tcgram
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

Yes, so have I. My concern is why do they want to know if you're squishy? 

• Like 3