Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

FireFox Bookmark issue

Bendy Demon

I have a itsy-bitsy issue concerning the bookmark system in FireFox.

I noticed that after a certain update, the bookmark system in FF (FireFox) has been a tad weird. When I want to bookmark something and do the "Bookmark This Page", the menu which lets me select where I want to place the bookmark doesn't stay. It remains for a few seconds and if I haven't selected a folder then the window disappears so I have to open my bookmarks (in the toolbar menu) and manually place my bookmark in wherever it is I wanted to place it in to begin with.

Anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

I think that's default, I use [Control + D] and then click on whatever Folder or section I want the Bookmark to be stored in, If I just want to store it in the main section I just let it be and the query box notification just fades

Maybe you might want to try Mozilla Pocket  link

~

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/roomy-bookmarks-toolbar/ because it's great for Bookmarks.

But to address your problem you could just copy the web address, click on the bookmark folder on your toolbar and right click and paste it manually. That's actually the way I do it by default. 

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I think that's default, I use [Control + D] and then click on whatever Folder or section I want the Bookmark to be stored in, If I just want to store it in the main section I just let it be and the query box notification just fades

Maybe you might want to try Mozilla Pocket  link

~

Hmmm..it never did that before. The window always stayed until I put my bookmark where I wanted it and clicked "Done" to close it...it shouldn't just stay open for 15 seconds or so then close without letting the user confirm an action.

Thanks for the links though, I will look into them but ideally one shouldn't have to get add-ons just to get the bookmark menu to act normal. Closing automatically after a few seconds shouldn't be a default attribute.

Can't say that's the case for me as I have been using the keyboard shortcut all this time (I don't think I've clicked on the Bookmark this page thing in years)

anyhow Pocket comes default with the last update and you can add it from the options menu >

Click [Open Menu] (the three bars icon under the 'X' close window icon)

click [Customize] then pull the pocket icon onto the side bar where you want it to be on your toolbar ... most times I don't bookmark sites that I just use for a limited occasion ... if its just the pages I want I just pocket it and then dump it, if I want to bookmark it I still can after looking over the page  in my own sweet time ...

happy trying ...

~

• Like 1

Right click on the page you want to bookmark,  click the little star in the upper right corner of the popup, select folder where you want to bookmark, press "ready". Done.

1 hour ago, toast said:

Right click on the page you want to bookmark,  click the little star in the upper right corner of the popup, select folder where you want to bookmark, press "ready". Done.

Ok..I tried that but the same thing happens in that the window for selecting the folder disappears in a few seconds, not enough for me to select a folder. This seems to have become a problem when I updated FF to 48 (I  now have 52)

I tried the Pocket thing but apparently I have to sign in or something to use it. Maybe I'll find something on the FF add-on page...thanks for the help.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ryu said:

Ok..I tried that but the same thing happens in that the window for selecting the folder disappears in a few seconds, not enough for me to select a folder

Not entirely sure but maybe you can find some better help here :

Can't add, change or save bookmarks - How to fix

• mozilla support link

~
Good luck ...

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

Not entirely sure but maybe you can find some better help here :

• mozilla support link

~
Good luck ...

Thanks for the link. Sadly none of them address my issue.

Like I said, the bookmark window disappears before I click the "Done" button..disappearing before I can do that Iis NOT a default setting. The "Pocket" thing is some service I have to log into so that is useless. On the computer I am using now, FF is the only browser it has so I suspect that one of the updates messed  with the bookmark system. It just happened from one day to the next.

Anywhoo..I really appreciate everyones help on this issue, so I will see what else I can do.

4 hours ago, Ryu said:

I have a itsy-bitsy issue concerning the bookmark system in FireFox.

I noticed that after a certain update, the bookmark system in FF (FireFox) has been a tad weird. When I want to bookmark something and do the "Bookmark This Page", the menu which lets me select where I want to place the bookmark doesn't stay. It remains for a few seconds and if I haven't selected a folder then the window disappears so I have to open my bookmarks (in the toolbar menu) and manually place my bookmark in wherever it is I wanted to place it in to begin with.

Anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

I think this should solve your problem. At least it works for me with Firefox in Windows 7:

Leave your mouse cursor hovering in the 'Page Bookmarked' notification. It only seems to disappear if your cursor is outside ^_^

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LV-426 said:

I think this should solve your problem. At least it works for me with Firefox in Windows 7:

Leave your mouse cursor hovering in the 'Page Bookmarked' notification. It only seems to disappear if your cursor is outside ^_^

Nope. It disappears regardless. I do not have many add-ons and none of them relate to bookmarks or any menus or sub menus.

It is odd though and I am trying to figure out why it does this especially after upgrading to FF 48 or thereabouts. Before then it worked fine. Thanks though. :)

Edited to add: I perused the FF forums and all and it seems that this is a issue for others, for some the timer starts when the mouse is moved and for others, like myself, it will disappear regardless of whether I move the mouse or click the "Star" icon when I right-click on a page.

Supposedly a fix is being worked on but if this issue was known after FF 48 (and now, for me anyways) there is version 52 then when are they going to fix this? It is really annoying to have to keep moving newly bookmarked pages.

Edited by Ryu