Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do we cry?

Claire.

Why Do We Cry?

People cry to express a range and degree of emotions—from happiness after acing a tough exam to grief after the death of a friend. Some wear their hearts on their sleeves and shed tears at the slightest provocation; others clam up and remain dry-eyed in emotional situations. Crying can even evoke seemingly contradictory behaviors—think “tears of joy.” What provokes this complex behavior in the first place?

Read more: Scientific American

• Like 4

I cry for everything! The worst is crying when you're angry. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

I cry for everything! The worst is crying when you're angry. 

I have only cried twice in my lifetime when angry and both times I was out of control. 

• Like 5

Unfortunately I wear my heart on my sleeve, which means I cry when happy and when sad.   My emotions are always close to the surface and it doesn't take much to bring them out.  

• Like 6

I tend to be fairly stoic and not much of a crybaby, but I go into total waterworks mode over hurt/dying animals and children.

• Like 5

Full disclosure: Sometimes I get tears in my eyes when hearing our national anthem.

By contrast, my wife cries at everything pretty much. We'll be watching a movie and I look over to her and the waterworks are happening. Some people are just more sensitive than others I guess. :unsure:

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Claire. said:

I tend to be fairly stoic and not much of a crybaby, but I go into total waterworks mode over hurt/dying animals and children.

I just saw you posted this before me, and I understand! ;)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tcgram said:

I have only cried twice in my lifetime when angry and both times I was out of control. 

"People don't cry because they're angry,people cry because they're sad...for example i cry because other people are stupid and that makes me sad"  :lol: Sheldon TBBT

I honestly can't remember the last time i teared up,not being macho or anything but usually if something gets me that riled up i go from sad,to angry,to drunk lol

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

"People don't cry because they're angry,people cry because they're sad...for example i cry because other people are stupid and that makes me sad"  :lol: Sheldon TBBT

I honestly can't remember the last time i teared up,not being macho or anything but usually if something gets me that riled up i go from sad,to angry,to drunk lol

I just remember being so angry that I was ready to seriously hurt someone and the tears came out of nowhere.  It's only happened twice and I was not in control of myself.  Also, alcohol was involved.   :ph34r:

• Like 3

I am like .ZZ.'s wife.  I have already had tears in my eyes this morning over breakfast, reading something emotional in the news!  

• Like 2

A lot of crying has to do with cultural things. American men strongly resist crying while men from other places cry freely. It can be either taught or mostly eliminated. Men are encouraged as boys to control and hide their emotions. When I was a kid I often got whipped for crying until I just stopped. Finally my Mama beat me until she was tired because I couldn't cry and all I could do was ask her if she felt better. She gave it up after that an never hit me physically again. It took me a lot of years to regain the ability to cry. Why do you need to cry? Because if you don't the anger and hurt stays inside you and turns into hate and rage and makes you a rather emotionally stunted human being. Eventually the dam will break one way or another and it isn't pretty. 

• Like 2

Certain cry would represent hate 

When you have wound you fell paint cause you did  not like the feel of paint (hate) you cried to tried to erase the paint feeling

Over cried are not a good thing your tear ( water) in this call yin qi flow out from the body, it suposed lubricant the eyes, when the yin qi flow out the yin qi in liver become less so yang qi in liver would become dominace so it like your eyes become red and liver who have defisiensi yin qi become dry and it become posible the liver become hard eventualy after a long periods of times.

Have stable emotion and keep stable emotion or emotion in check,  to over emotions its bad for the body it woulds injury the organ whatever the emotion from  joy, anger, brooding, sorrow, fear, fright and grief.

Edited by Daimond25
  • Like 1

When you angry some people scream (force lung contraction), sweating ( force water and salts (ions) flow out the body), have heart pumps rapids, blood pulse faster so increase blood pleasure, some people may explodes shatering items, crashing item and this need energy.

When you sad, you cried, sheding tears (water +salts [ions]), some people dificult to brearth, some have hiksup, some there fluid flowout from nose.

When you fear you sweating (/cold sweating)some people may have urinating, some people may have termor

When you joy you laugh harder, some people sheding tears, heart pumps rapid, pulse faster, posibility increase blood presure.

When you get shock/ suprice some body may have fibrate (termor), you heart pumps rapid in a moments, some get sewating

Edited by Daimond25

On 3/27/2017 at 5:34 PM, Claire. said:

Same here. I can't even watch those aspca commercials. I have to change the channel, it makes me so sad at what these poor animals have to go through. It makes me even sadder knowing I can't help them. Of course child and elder abuse also make me very sad,and very angry. I guess anything incapable of defending themselves really gets to me.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

Same here. I can't even watch those aspca commercials. I have to change the channel, it makes me so sad at what these poor animals have to go through. It makes me even sadder knowing I can't help them. Of course child and elder abuse also make me very sad,and very angry. I guess anything incapable of defending themselves really gets to me.

I can't watch them either, the producers of those ads are pulling at our heart strings for money. Even if it's for a good cause I see it as pandering. :(

Making a donation at your local facility is better. 

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 2

Just now, .ZZ. said:

I can't watch them either, the producers of those ads are pulling at our heart strings for money. Even if it's for a good cause I see it as pandering. :(

Making a donation at your local facility is better. 

Yes, you're right 100 percent. My father in law worked for local shelter as an animal cop, and even carried a gun. I went into that shelter one day for some reason I have now forgot, and just seeing all those sad, scared, and some hopeful eyes looking at me , probably thinking "maybe this is finally my chance at a forever home, please save me ". I never went back, nor do I intend too. I applaud the people who rescue and adopt these poor souls. They are doing a great thing. But it seemed like when I went in there I got an overwhelming sense of sadness, maybe due to the fact that I can't save them all . I just couldn't go back ever. Way too overwhelming, at least for me. I left there in tears. And about those commercials-a lot of that money could go to helping the animals, and they could find a cheaper way to get their message across. Just a thought.

• Like 3