Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia's 'unstoppable' hypersonic missiles

seeder

Russia creates 'unstoppable' hypersonic Zircon missile with Navy destroying 4,600mph speed

Russia claims to have created a devastating hypersonic missile that travels five times faster than the speed of sound and could rip through navy warship defences because it's too fast to stop.

The Kremlin's Zircon missile has been called "unstoppable", "unbeatable" and "undefendable" with a 4,600mph speed that only one defence system in the world can destroy – that system is owned by Russia.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-creates-unstoppable-hypersonic-zircon-140101913.html

• Like 2

faster.... harder..... russia,,,,

• Like 1

Oh lovely. 

We'll be ready for them. Nothing's faster than the speed of light.           https://eripiosolutions.wordpress.com/2017/01/31/super-laser-weapons-are-coming-to-navy-ships-by-2018/                                       

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

We'll be ready for them. Nothing's faster than the speed of light.           https://eripiosolutions.wordpress.com/2017/01/31/super-laser-weapons-are-coming-to-navy-ships-by-2018/                                       

well, lasers might travel at the speed of light... but someones still got to aim them at something travelling thousands of miles per hour. But if a few missiles are fired at a ship carrying just one laser....well.... that ship and laser are soon sunk

• Like 1

Just now, seeder said:

well, lasers might travel at the speed of light... but someones still got to aim them at something travelling thousands of miles per hour. But if a few missiles are fired at a ship carrying just one laser....well.... that ship and laser are soon sunk

Well, you indulge in your fantasies and I'll indulge in mine. I envision a cap of laser armed planes over our fleets at all times as well.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Oh...and the speed of light has already been smashed, sort of

Edited by seeder

1 minute ago, seeder said:

Oh...and the speed of light has already been smashed

Link please and details on practical applications. In the meantime I'll celebrate reality.                                                      http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/17/politics/us-air-force-laser-fighter-jet-weapons-research/index.html    

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Link please and details on practical applications. In the meantime I'll celebrate reality.                                                      http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/17/politics/us-air-force-laser-fighter-jet-weapons-research/index.html    

Laser smashes light-speed record

One of the most sacred laws of physics is that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in vacuum. But this speed limit has been smashed in a recent experiment in which a laser pulse travels at more than 300 times the speed of light

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2000/jul/19/laser-smashes-light-speed-record

• Like 2

Its old news of course....17 years ago in fact. Do try to keep up to date

Scientists have seen a pulse of light emerge from a cloud of gas before it even entered.

This astonishing and baffling observation was made by researchers from the NEC Research Institute in Princeton, US.

They conducted an experiment that involved lasers, a chamber containing cold caesium atoms and a super-fast stopwatch.

The end result was a beam of light that moved at 300 times the theoretical limit for the speed of light.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/841690.stm

3 minutes ago, seeder said:

One of the most sacred laws of physics is that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in vacuum. But this speed limit has been smashed in a recent experiment in which a laser pulse travels at more than 300 times the speed of light

You should have read the article completely and checked the date.

"There is no widespread agreement among physicists about the speed at which information is carried by pulses in such experiments. One definition is that it is the speed at which the point of half the maximum intensity on the leading edge of the pulse travels, but this velocity is superluminal in the Princeton experiment. The team intend to analyse this further, including cases in which the pulse contains only a few photons."

• Like 2

The second link is as old as the first--what's your definition of "up-to-date"?

"The important thing, however, is that whilst the group velocity can be manipulated to be faster than the speed of light, it is not possible to use this effect to send information faster than the speed of light. "

Russia is a leader in missiles. One of the few areas that it actually has an advantage. I do not doubt Russian claims but whether they can field a missile like this to operate with the parameters that they claim and within a time frame that Western and Chinese navy's have nothing to counter with is another matter.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, seeder said:

well, lasers might travel at the speed of light... but someones still got to aim them at something travelling thousands of miles per hour. 

yes, radars and tracking lasers

• Like 2

Kinda old news, RIA (in Russian) bragged about Zircon "tests" back in March 17, 2016.

Now, some fun facts: Russian TV outlet Zvezda (meaning Star in English; highly patriotic blatant propaganda machine) reported about Kalibr missiles, and were showing "test" firings of these missiles (starting 0:43)... All looks impressive, but... They used footage (~1:35) of Norwegian test firings of Norwegian NSM (Naval Strike Missile), and claimed that was Kalibr :lol: 

As narrator clearly states "in Syria those missiles weren't used", means that Zvezda aired this crap not earlier than 2015.

And following is Norwegian footage (published on Jun 6, 2013):

Heh, maybe Kalibr ain't that impressive as claimed to be...

Now, back on topic. I would take all these impressive characteristics with the grain of salt. With western ban on 'dual use' items export to Russia, Russkies might be forced to scrap some of their "no analogues in the world" projects, including Zircon...

Edit: I made mistake (damn laziness, should always re-watch, not just blabber from memory). Aforementioned footage is not about Kalibr, but Oniks (Yakhont). Nevertheless, still funny.

Edited by bmk1245
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, seeder said:

Scientists have seen a pulse of light emerge from a cloud of gas before it even entered

Me and Mrs rover have text arguments like this everyday. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

You know, I get this picture of seeder as some guy who's girl ran off with a Yank.  In most matters, a reasonable enough sort.  But with a real rage against Americans.  My guess is that he ends up as an elderly chap who's gone cracked, throwing bread crumbs at himself because he thinks he's a pigeon.  Either that or it's just missile envy.... :w00t:

ETA:  I think I'm finally getting over the flu!

Edited by and then
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Kinda old news, RIA (in Russian) bragged about Zircon "tests" back in March 17, 2016.

Now, some fun facts: Russian TV outlet Zvezda (meaning Star in English; highly patriotic blatant propaganda machine) reported about Kalibr missiles, and were showing "test" firings of these missiles (starting 0:43)... All looks impressive, but... They used footage (~1:35) of Norwegian test firings of Norwegian NSM (Naval Strike Missile), and claimed that was Kalibr :lol: 

As narrator clearly states "in Syria those missiles weren't used", means that Zvezda aired this crap not earlier than 2015.

And following is Norwegian footage (published on Jun 6, 2013):

Heh, maybe Kalibr ain't that impressive as claimed to be...

Now, back on topic. I would take all these impressive characteristics with the grain of salt. With western ban on 'dual use' items export to Russia, Russkies might be forced to scrap some of their "no analogues in the world" projects, including Zircon...

Edit: I made mistake (damn laziness, should always re-watch, not just blabber from memory). Aforementioned footage is not about Kalibr, but Oniks (Yakhont). Nevertheless, still funny.

I have no doubt that Russian scientists are quite capable of creating excellent weaponry.  I also agree that unless we in the U.S. continue to take that realization seriously, a day will come when some nutty Russian (or Chinese) leader may decide to test us.  That would be an awesomely bad day for the planet.  Not because big, bad America would triumph.  But because NO ONE would.  I have been saying for a few years now, that the world is more dangerous than since WWII.  I always cited the Obama presidency and I still do so.  Countries that are the most likely to begin a war are precisely those who really think they can win it.  The stink of Obama's cowardice wasn't enough to make them brave enough to try but a continuation of American apathy just might.  

33 minutes ago, and then said:

You know, I get this picture of seeder as some guy who's girl ran off with a Yank.  In most matters, a reasonable enough sort.  But with a real rage against Americans.  My guess is that he ends up as an elderly chap who's gone cracked, throwing bread crumbs at himself because he thinks he's a pigeon.  Either that or it's just missile envy.... :w00t:

ETA:  I think I'm finally getting over the flu!

Indeed youve hinted at my alleged anti American stance at other times

However in this case Ive simply posted the news

18 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

The second link is as old as the first--what's your definition of "up-to-date"?

"The important thing, however, is that whilst the group velocity can be manipulated to be faster than the speed of light, it is not possible to use this effect to send information faster than the speed of light. "

No-one said anything about sending info at the speed of light, youre moving the goal posts because I proved your statement wrong.... a reminder what you said:  

We'll be ready for them. Nothing's faster than the speed of light.

So keep in mind....you were wrong. I know that hurts especially when you do this on a public forum for all to see. And especially when you think you were right....despite the fact you were totally wrong.

And when I say 'keep up to date', the implication is that a lot of well read people saw these articles back in year 2000, when it was BIG news....me included. Therefore it isnt hard to challenge those with outdated assumptions...BECAUSE 'they' havent kept up to date....with science and its findings. Like yourself...  . simples....:tu:

4 Things That Currently Break the Speed of Light Barrier, by Michio Kaku
http://bigthink.com/dr-kakus-universe/what-travels-faster-than-the-speed-of-light

Edited by seeder

8 minutes ago, seeder said:

Indeed youve hinted at my alleged anti American stance at other times

However in this case Ive simply posted the news

All in good fun, seeder.  Frankly, I do find it odd that only a Brit seems to attempt to keep us all up to date with America's failing prowess.  Well, nothing lasts forever old bean.  Including having an Uncle with endlessly deep pockets.  I think you will be seeing a European Army soon enough because of that economic condition.  Hope they meet your fancy a bit better.  

3 minutes ago, and then said:

All in good fun, seeder.  Frankly, I do find it odd that only a Brit seems to attempt to keep us all up to date with America's failing prowess.  Well, nothing lasts forever old bean.  Including having an Uncle with endlessly deep pockets.  I think you will be seeing a European Army soon enough because of that economic condition.  Hope they meet your fancy a bit better.  

And as Ive said before.... Im NOT anti American...

But I bring news like this and it gets the Americans all defensive and making accusatory posts about me. Ive posted on so many sections of this forum....yet its only when I post about Russia that I get animosity directed toward me

Totally undeserved. Those who ordinarily 'like' my posts on other sections....suddenly get all defensive when I post about another countries war power.... I wonder why that is?

• Like 1

UK source

One senior naval source said: “Hypersonic missiles are virtually unstoppable. The whole idea of the aircraft carrier is the ability to project power. But with no method of protecting themselves against missiles like the Zircon the carrier would have to stay out of range, hundreds of miles out at sea.

“It’s planes would be useless and the whole basis of a carrier task force would be redundant.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/royal-navy-new-queen-elizabeth-class-aircraft-carriers-not-stop-russia-zircon-missiles-hypersonic-a7651781.html

But for the Americans here....dont worry too much  the US is also said to be developing similar

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-army-tests-hypersonic-weapon-6264221.html

Edited by seeder

as usual american solution is over complicated and extremely expensive. ( f22\35 comes to mind).

its like during space race, we had to develop special pen that can write in 0 gravity, soviets used pencil

• Like 1