Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fearless girl to stay

Kismit

The statute of a young girl defiantly staring down the Bull of Wall street will not be removed at least before 2018. Thanks to strong public support for the piece created by artist Kristen Visbal

see here for more : N.Y. Times

• Like 6

Me too. And i love that these pieces of art together show an evolution in our collective thought process' and ideals since the 80's

• Like 6

I don't get it. She's supposed to be standing up to Wall Street? Is she supposed to be standing up an actual bull? What is the context?

• Like 1

The Bull statue on Wall street. 

According to wiki: The oversize sculpture depicts a bull, the symbol of aggressive financial optimism and prosperity.

And was a piece of gorilla art installed originally without municipal approval.

(Which incidentally, the artist of the Bull does not like Fearless girl, that's an interesting simile.)

The recent addition of the artwork Fearless girl symbolises a small girl defying the aggressive finacial assault of big business on the little people.

Together they are actually a very strong story that parrallels much of how our society views things today.

Nike verses sweat shops,  Nestles verses clean water and child labour

• Like 4

Since when is the little girl there? I have been there last august and I don't remember anything like that (although it was quite crowded).

• Like 1

On 27/03/2017 at 11:25 PM, Dark_Grey said:

I don't get it. She's supposed to be standing up to Wall Street? Is she supposed to be standing up an actual bull? What is the context?

You're right, you don't.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gingitsune said:

Since when is the little girl there? I have been there last august and I don't remember anything like that (although it was quite crowded).

Just a few weeks ago.

• Like 4

On 27/03/2017 at 11:25 PM, Dark_Grey said:

She's standing up against capitalism. She's basically a commie. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, hatecraft said:

She's standing up against capitalism. She's basically a commie. 

And there we have the 80's part of the thought process in action. :rolleyes:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, aztek said:

i worked at 26 Broadway for at least 4 years, not once i've seen Broadway as empty as in op picture. not even at night. 

Fearless girl scared them off cause she's, ya know, fearless?

• Like 1

On 3/28/2017 at 8:15 AM, Kismit said:

And there we have the 80's part of the thought process in action. :rolleyes:

The 80's were awesome.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2017 at 6:45 PM, Kismit said:

The Bull statue on Wall street. 

According to wiki: The oversize sculpture depicts a bull, the symbol of aggressive financial optimism and prosperity.

And was a piece of gorilla art installed originally without municipal approval.

(Which incidentally, the artist of the Bull does not like Fearless girl, that's an interesting simile.)

The recent addition of the artwork Fearless girl symbolises a small girl defying the aggressive finacial assault of big business on the little people.

Together they are actually a very strong story that parrallels much of how our society views things today.

Nike verses sweat shops,  Nestles verses clean water and child labour

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2017/03/state_street_global_advisors_behind_nycs_fearless_girl_statue

"McCann obtained a one-week permit from the city before starting the installation in Bowling Green Park at 4 a.m. Tuesday, completing it as the sun rose on another New York business day." So apparently they did have municipal approval.

From the NY Times link

“Fearless Girl” was created by the sculptor Kristen Visbal and erected in Bowling Green, a small park, by the financial firm State Street Global Advisors in honor of International Women’s Day in March.

"The financial giant wanted to spread a serious message: that more women should be appointed to the boards of the Russell 3000, a broad index of U.S. companies." Doesn't appear to be  a statue in defiance of "the aggressive finacial assault of big business on the little people."

• Like 3

I read the various criticisms about this being all about corporate imaging, false feminism, co-opting feminism etc and I really think they are fair and have merit. The company who commissioned the statue does not have an exemplary record and doesn't quite practice what it's preaching. But I kind of feel that in this case perhaps the whole really is greater than the sum of it's parts. There is something very dynamic and appealing about these two statues together. I still like fearless girl and I like the bull too.

• Like 2

Together they do tell a very interesting story. If they were ancient ruins that had been dug up hundreds of years after their creation, Imagine how they would be viewed then.

• Like 2