Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Barbados-Poltergeist-Chase-Vault

macqdor

https://loyalist.lib.unb.ca/atlantic-loyalist-connections/barbados-poltergeist-chase-vault

From 1811 to 1821, multiple disturbances of lead coffins housed in the stone Chase Vault, located in the cemetery of the Christ Church Parish Church, took place.  In Dailey’s letter discussing the phenomena she writes that “many people have been inclined to attribute them to poltergeists or other supernatural agencies.”  The vault was “situated on the west end of the churchyard and is partly below and partly above the level of the surrounding ground.  The lower portion is hewn out of Limestone, coral rock, which forms the core of Barbados, while the upper is constructed of block of the same material cemented together so firmly that in appearance it is one solid mass.” 

• Like 2

Interesting story.

According to skeptics, whist the story looks pretty solid given that the vault is there, and the death records are on file, there's one thing missing  — evidence that anyone was ever placed in the vault to begin with. The story apparently, is also nearly identical to one from an island off Estonia. The events there align with those from Barbados, except they begin in 1844, not 1812.

Other researchers have argued that the story was not an account of literal events alleged to have actually taken place, but rather that it was an allegory constructed from Masonic symbols; such as the sound of a hammer used to certify the solidity of the vault's walls, the arched ceiling representing the Royal Arch degree, the whole idea of a secret vault as central to Freemasonry, and of course the men who sealed the door with cement referred to as masons.

Source: SKEPTOID

Edited by Claire.
Fixed source url.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Claire. said:

Interesting story.

According to skeptics, whist the story looks pretty solid given that the vault is there, and the death records are on file, there's one thing missing  — evidence that anyone was ever placed in the vault to begin with. The story apparently, is also nearly identical to one from an island off Estonia. The events there align with those from Barbados, except they begin in 1844, not 1812.

Other researchers have argued that the story was not an account of literal events alleged to have actually taken place, but rather that it was an allegory constructed from Masonic symbols; such as the sound of a hammer used to certify the solidity of the vault's walls, the arched ceiling representing the Royal Arch degree, the whole idea of a secret vault as central to Freemasonry, and of course the men who sealed the door with cement referred to as masons.

Source: SKEPTOID

Interesting. 

• Like 1

I love this story, as a kid it always gave me the willies to think something was tossing coffins around.

• 4 weeks later...

To the skeptic I say are you willing to have your body (remains) interred in the vault, so the rest of us can find out what happens?

4 minutes ago, macqdor said:

To the skeptic I say are you willing to have your body (remains) interred in the vault, so the rest of us can find out what happens?

yeah sure, but you will have to wait till i am dead.

We are fortunate today have cctv, so I will leave a bit of cash in my will for one to be installed.....then see if anything happens.

23 minutes ago, macqdor said:

I'm a believing skeptic/skeptical believer in general.. but a fair skeptic on the Chase Vault in specific, close enough, lol. I wouldn't have my remains interred in the vault. It's empty because the church wants it that way and probably would disapprove. And it's a bit of a tourist attraction, I don't think I would want my corpse to be part of a tourist attraction. And there's also the problem that between a few quakes, some vandalism, and general non-maintenance, the cemetery is in kind of sorry shape for me to want to be interred in the area in general. If I were giving up my corpse for the sake of spooky science, it wouldn't be under these particular conditions. I'd want my corpse to last long enough to actually be haunted. Or haunt stuff, or whatever else is supposed to be happening or not.

I do think it would be neat if the church were to allow an experiment of coffins and cameras to see what happens. Quite probably nothing would happen, but it would still be neat.