Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Five times evolution ran in 'reverse'

Claire.

5 Times Evolution Ran in ‘Reverse’

Hagfish, penguins, and aphids are just some of the creatures that have been shaped by what’s known as regressive evolution.

Gaze into the face of a hagfish—a slimy, eel-shaped marine animal—and the hagfish won’t gaze back. The creatures are almost blind, finding their way around the seafloor primarily using their sense of smell and touch. Now, in a shock to biologists, a close look at a 300-million-year-old hagfish fossil reveals that the animals once had working eyes—and evolution took them away.

Read more: National Geographic

• Like 1

The whole natural process of evolution is remarkable.Anytime the cost outweighs the benefit the course will change.And in regards to hagfish the process certainly doesn't discriminate against creepiness... I have read where they crawl right into the stomachs of larger animals and feed on the contents!   :blink:

image17-537x40211.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, khol said:

The whole natural process of evolution is remarkable.Anytime the cost outweighs the benefit the course will change.And in regards to hagfish the process certainly doesn't discriminate against creepiness... I have read where they crawl right into the stomachs of larger animals and feed on the contents!   :blink:

Could that not have waited until after breakfast? jk Thanks for that tidbit of information.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Claire. said:

Could that not have waited until after breakfast? jk Thanks for that tidbit of information.

my apologies..I havent had breakfast yet either ! :wacko:  

• Like 1