Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Customer labelled 'weird freak' on receipt

Still Waters

A cafe in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, has been publicly shamed on social media after one customer was described as a ‘weird freak’ on their receipt.

Shocked Steve Dempster said his wife ordered a smaller portion of food for their child when she had recently dined at Weetons Cafe.

Which is certainly not the freakiest thing you could do in a cafe, and not really an action that seems deserving of the label “weird freak” – but that’s what her receipt read when she demanded it from sniggering staff.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/woman-labelled-weird-freak-on-receipt-for-ordering-child-sized-omelette-for-her-child-075125844.html

Follow up -

Cafe apologises after describing customer as 'weird freak' on receipt

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/cafe-apologises-describing-customer-weird-072723146.html

• Like 4

The lesson here is just order a normal omelette and take home what your kid does not eat....no wait, the lesson here is order a normal omelette and take it to go so your children don't annoy other customers and the staff.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bubblykiss said:

The lesson here is just order a normal omelette and take home what your kid does not eat....no wait, the lesson here is order a normal omelette and take it to go so your children don't annoy other customers and the staff.

The lesson here is that it was not an unreasonable request, and even if it was, that is no excuse to treat customers with disrespect. Childish, immature behavior on the part of staff is never good for business. If I were the owner of that cafe, I would have fired them in a New York minute.

• Like 7

The lesson here is that we are only getting the complainants version of events.

They may have actually been a bit odd. ( not excusing this behaviour ) Working with the public for nearly 30 years has left me with an understanding of how many wiered freaks are out there.

I will never forget the irrate woman who came into a restaurant where I was working, furious that she had gotten wet while down at the beach.

• Like 2

I know this is an upscale cafe, and the employee was new to the place...but haven't they ever heard of a kids menu? 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I know this is an upscale cafe, and the employee was new to the place...but haven't they ever heard of a kids menu? 

From what I read yesterday, it was the manager who put the comment on and the new staff member was the one watching and sniggered.  When nowadays the omelettes are made out of liquid egg mixture, so what is the big deal?  And from working in customer service for many years (not admitting to how many :P), the last thing you do is put anything in print which can come back and bite you on your ass.

• Like 5

If I had gotten that message, I would demand heads roll.

• Like 4