Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Major Mysterious Wet Spot On Couch

Intrigued Bystander

Yesterday my friend left her apartment at 10 AM. Her roommate came home at 12:30 PM and sat on the couch. She rested her hand on the middle cushion noticing that it was wet. She moved the blanket only to find a huge wet spot on the couch. It wasn't there that morning because she sat on the couch and had coffee. Their door and all of the windows were locked. There was no leak on the ceiling or wall. The couch was soaked. We moved the couch to see if it had gone through. We lifted up the carpet and there was an even bigger wet stain on the carpet. It had soaked all the way through the couch, onto the carpet, and on the tile floor. It all smelled terrible like pee (or at least that's the only thing we think it smells like). It stunk up the whole room, even after febreeze. We live on a college campus that has security cameras so we called security for them to come look at it. They had no explanation so we went and looked at the security footage to see who could have broken in their apartment when they were gone between 10 AM and 12:30 PM. No one was on the footage. The only was they could have gotten in the room is if they (1) edited themselves out of the footage or (2) jumped down from the above balcony behind the camera and brought a huge bucket of pee with them. The only other explanation is something paranormal. PLEASE HELP. 

1490736410_tmp_IMG_3964.jpg

4 minutes ago, Intrigued Bystander said:

The only other explanation is something paranormal. 

No. It's really not.

• Like 8

Hi Intrigued Bystander,

As above, the paranormal definitely does not figure in this, but it is interesting and thank you for having the thought of posting photos. 

Can you tell me what's above the apartment, what the ceiling is made of (photo would be nice), and whether assuming you're not on the top floor, there's any piping running above the ceiling. I know that last one is a bit of an ask, but under the circumstance I think your friend has every right to ask the maintenance department.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Can you tell me what's above the apartment, what the ceiling is made of (photo would be nice), and whether assuming you're not on the top floor, there's any piping running above the ceiling.

Ironically enough, that was my first thought. Something's leaked down but left no signs or marks on the ceiling above. I'd be intrigued to know what is directly above there. (and if they have a pet).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Ironically enough, that was my first thought. Something's leaked down but left no signs or marks on the ceiling above. I'd be intrigued to know what is directly above there. (and if they have a pet).

It's that or someone spilled it (or...), either way. 

Another point would be 

44 minutes ago, Intrigued Bystander said:

She rested her hand on the middle cushion noticing that it was wet. She moved the blanket only to find a huge wet spot on the couch. It wasn't there that morning because she sat on the couch and had coffee

Left hand or right hand? Did the 'roommate' sit on the right side of the settee where the wet patch has spread over two cushions? If so, and I'd assume that each would have their end of the settee, then the 'friend' could have quite easily missed it if she sat on the left. Meaning it could have been done well before, which'd sort of fit with the idea of it having soaked through the settee and onto the floor. So any CCTV between 10:00 and 12:30 would be useless. Stop me if I'm getting a bit 'Midsomer Murders' here. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Left hand or right hand? Did the 'roommate' sit on the right side of the settee where the wet patch has spread over two cushions? If so, and I'd assume that each would have their end of the settee, then the 'friend' could have quite easily missed it if she sat on the left. Meaning it could have been done well before, which'd sort of fit with the idea of it having soaked through the settee and onto the floor. So any CCTV between 10:00 and 12:30 would be useless. Stop me if I'm getting a bit 'Midsomer Murders' here. 

I'm with you Dr Watson. But surely she would've smelt the aroma of the 'pee' had it been there at the time? Unless of course, one of them were incontinent? The plot thickens...

• Like 1

Anyone crash on the couch after a night of partying?

Once my husband visited a friend at college and got up in the middle of the night and peed in the drawer of the friends dresser. He was drunk.

Looks like there is a kitchen behind where the couch is located. Are there apartments above you? Same layout? Where is the sink? 

Edited by SecretSanta
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stiff said:

I'm with you Dr Watson. But surely she would've smelt the aroma of the 'pee' had it been there at the time? Unless of course, one of them were incontinent? The plot thickens...

Yeah, but it says the roommate noticed it when she put her hand on the settee and felt the damp patch. It it was urine, which I suspect it wasn't, there's an awful lot of it. Your average voiding is well under that. When I give someone an IV diuretic I'm impressed if they pass 500mls in an hour, this looks like a hell of a lot more than that. 

• Like 3

Let me think of one explanation for this. A lot of rain, hole in the ceiling, insulation soaked with water and eventually it drips on to the couch. This is something that can gradually happen. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3

The only natural explanations that come to my mind would be an animal (unlikely with the quantity) or liquid (toilet water?) coming through the ceiling which you said showed no signs. What is above your apartment?

Possible paranormal explanations include a p***ed off (pun intended) non-physical entity. Such things are not unprecedented including foul smelling presents.

Has there been any other seemingly mysterious events in the apartment?

Edited by papageorge1

I can't offer an explanation, but where did you get that pee-pee pad?

I could use one of those around my house with 3 dogs and 3 cats. :huh:

Assuming this isn't a one-post wonder (time will tell, but I know what I think..)..

I'd like to see a picture showing what's behind and above the sofa.  Eg an air-conditioner?  If it got wet, then the smell could be the summation of all that has happened to that sofa in that area over the years......

In a college dorm? Reminds me of a roommate I had for a short while who after a night of drinking would wake up and pee in his closet. He had  no idea he was doing it but his girlfriend caught/stopped him several times.  

The ceiling is made up cement. There are no visible pipes or holes in the ceiling (I can get a picture later). This is in Tennessee so it did rain a couple of days ago but this happened in a span of 2 hours at the least and 12 at the most. Their apartment is on the bottom floor which is why we thought to check the ceiling, but there was nothing there. They do not have a pet, unless one figured out a way to open the locked door and also close it on its way out. We've thought about someone being drunk too but no one stayed the night before. I asked both of them if they had been on the couch before going to bed and they both said yes meaning it was not there before they went to sleep. Also, we can't get over how much pee there is. 

5 hours ago, oldrover said:

It's that or someone spilled it (or...), either way. 

Another point would be 

The problem with this is that a blanket was over the spot after they got home at 12:30 PM whereas it was not there the morning of. They know this because they always have a blanket over the back of the couch, but instead it was covering the spot like someone tried to hide it. 

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Let me think of one explanation for this. A lot of rain, hole in the ceiling, insulation soaked with water and eventually it drips on to the couch. This is something that can gradually happen. 

The problem with this is that there was no splatter spots and its so much liquid. They would haven noticed if it had been dripping for a long time to make that much liquid go through the couch. 

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

The only natural explanations that come to my mind would be an animal (unlikely with the quantity) or liquid (toilet water?) coming through the ceiling which you said showed no signs. What is above your apartment?

Possible paranormal explanations include a p***ed off (pun intended) non-physical entity. Such things are not unprecedented including foul smelling presents.

Has there been any other seemingly mysterious events in the apartment?

The only weird thing I know that has happened in that apartment was back in August when the RA was checking the rooms before everyone moved in. She said there were 8 desk chairs lined up like someone was laying on them like a bed (there's only 3 desk chairs to a room). They thought maybe a homeless person had been in there. She did say she got a weird vibe as soon as she walked in though. Almost like she couldn't move. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

I can't offer an explanation, but where did you get that pee-pee pad?

I could use one of those around my house with 3 dogs and 3 cats. :huh:

There's not a pee pad in this picture. That's the bottom of the carpet. 

A couple of observations:

1. the image showing the folded carpet does not match the location of the chair - there is clearly no wall at the far end of the sofa, so if you unfold the carpet the geometry isn't right.  Please show a much wider shot that includes all of the items.  If you don't have a wide enough lens, go grab a wide angle mirror for $2 at a disposals shop and use that to get an image..

2. The stain pattern doesn't look at all right for the timeframe - the dark line around it suggest both the inside and the outside have fully dried.  Also, the inside of the 'stain' seems cleaner/lighter than the outside - that suggests it was not urine and might even have been a mild detergent solution - perhaps a leaky bucket that was used for cleaning..?

Anyway, it will have a simple, mundane explanation, no matter how much the paranormal is the desired outcome.  Call me boring.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

A couple of observations:

1. the image showing the folded carpet does not match the location of the chair - there is clearly no wall at the far end of the sofa, so if you unfold the carpet the geometry isn't right.  Please show a much wider shot that includes all of the items.  If you don't have a wide enough lens, go grab a wide angle mirror for $2 at a disposals shop and use that to get an image..

2. The stain pattern doesn't look at all right for the timeframe - the dark line around it suggest both the inside and the outside have fully dried.  Also, the inside of the 'stain' seems cleaner/lighter than the outside - that suggests it was not urine and might even have been a mild detergent solution - perhaps a leaky bucket that was used for cleaning..?

Anyway, it will have a simple, mundane explanation, no matter how much the paranormal is the desired outcome.  Call me boring.

As a parent and pet owner can I ask how you came up with that conclusion? 

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

As a parent and pet owner can I ask how you came up with that conclusion? 

.... Que???

Which part has you confused - there were 2 major points and just one comment in my post (hardly a 'conclusion')?  And why is your parenthood and pet ownership relevant, other than to suggest more mundane possibilities?

9 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

.... Que???

Which part has you confused - there were 2 major points and just one comment in my post (hardly a 'conclusion')?  And why is your parenthood and pet ownership relevant, other than to suggest more mundane possibilities?

inside of the 'stain' seems cleaner/lighter than the outside - that suggests it was not urine 

That part ^ 

Maybe someone on the floor under had alot of pressure and needed release.

• Like 1