Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humanitarain crisis looms US cuts foriegn aid

OverSword

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- The world's largest humanitarian crisis in 70 years has been declared in three African countries on the brink of famine, just as President Donald Trump's proposed foreign aid cuts threaten to pull the United States from its historic role as the world's top emergency donor.

If the deep cuts are approved by Congress and the U.S. does not contribute to Africa's current crisis, experts warn that the continent's growing drought and famine could have far-ranging effects, including a new wave of migrants heading to Europe and possibly more support for Islamic extremist groups.

The conflict-fueled hunger crises in Nigeria, Somalia and South Sudan have culminated in a trio of potential famines hitting almost simultaneously. Nearly 16 million people in the three countries are at risk of dying within months.

Link

• Like 3

It's hard not to think that the people at the top are deliberately taking actions that will lead to the largest number of deaths. 

• Like 2

On the plus side private US charities give more aid to African countries than the US government.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

It's hard not to think that the people at the top are deliberately taking actions that will lead to the largest number of deaths. 

I'd say you should be ashamed of yourself for that loathsome comment but one has to have the capacity to be shamed for that to be understood.  God, I'm glad I don't carry that level of hatred all the time.  What a burden it must be.

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, and then said:

I'd say you should be ashamed of yourself for that loathsome comment but one has to have the capacity to be shamed for that to be understood.  God, I'm glad I don't carry that level of hatred all the time.  What a burden it must be.

Oh come on.  If Clinton had won your roles would be reversed.

• Like 2

there are a ton of ngo s dedicated to Africa ranging from food to education to sanitation they should take care of it. 

• Like 1

so why after all this help people are still hungry? who gets the aid, how is it distributed?  it is pretty clear to anyone with sense of reality, aid gets taken by local powers, who are not that interested in feeding the people. everyone knows general aidid, who we tried to arrest in somalia in 93, he is just a tip of the iceberg.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Do me a fav, buddy.  Don' t EVER presume to know me from what I share on these threads.  Evil b**** that she definitely IS, I'd never blithely accuse another human being of wanting the death of MILLIONS because they were racist.  Apparently, you didn't really get the import of the kind lady's words.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kartikg said:

there are a ton of ngo s dedicated to Africa ranging from food to education to sanitation they should take care of it. 

I agree, kartikg.  But I think you miss the point in the thread and some of the responses.  It isn't ABOUT Africa's starving.  It's about "America evil, because, 'TRUMP'"

Well... Perhaps this could be the Clinton Foundation's opportunity to plunder shine again.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, and then said:

Do me a fav, buddy.  Don' t EVER presume to know me from what I share on these threads.  Evil b**** that she definitely IS, I'd never blithely accuse another human being of wanting the death of MILLIONS because they were racist.  Apparently, you didn't really get the import of the kind lady's words.

I never said anything about race. That was you. I think more along the lines of the elite in the Kingsmen. Not really dividing us up into groups other than haves who want to have more...and everyone else who doesn't matter to them.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lemieux said:

Well... Perhaps this could be the Clinton Foundation's opportunity to plunder shine again.

I might even donate a $1000.00 to the Clinton Foundation foundation just so these starving people will get $10.00 of it ($990.00 is overhead costs). Probably would be better off sending over a case of ramen noodles in hopes at least 1 got a meal.

Edited by Glockornothing
  • Like 5

Rich countries should help poor countries.  Except for some foreign aid (most of it of a military nature and not much help), foreign aid must go through or at least have the approval of foreign governments, and most poor countries have corrupt governments.

I think a lot more could be done to help poor countries by allowing freer trade from them -- the EU is particularly guilty here because its rich farmers prevent import of cheap African goods that would lower the price of food for all Europeans. 

If one must give foreign aid, the Obama approach of direct aid avoiding corrupt officials and withholding it if the officials create obstacles is best, but the local corruption pervades regardless.

• Like 5

wow, for once (just 1 line thou) i agree with frank, local corruption is undoing all efforts

Edited by aztek

15 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

Rich countries should help poor countries.  Except for some foreign aid (most of it of a military nature and not much help), foreign aid must go through or at least have the approval of foreign governments, and most poor countries have corrupt governments.

I think a lot more could be done to help poor countries by allowing freer trade from them -- the EU is particularly guilty here because its rich farmers prevent import of cheap African goods that would lower the price of food for all Europeans. 

If one must give foreign aid, the Obama approach of direct aid avoiding corrupt officials and withholding it if the officials create obstacles is best, but the local corruption pervades regardless.

Rich countries should help poor countries (we do).  Except for some foreign aid (most of it of a military nature and not much help (it would be helpful if the military alone handed out the food to those in need and blocked the corrupt entity's from stealing it)), foreign aid must go through or at least have the approval of foreign governments (agreed, they are most of the problem), and most poor countries have corrupt governments (most are corrupt because we want our diamonds and precious metals cheap so we as consumers are also to blame).

I think a lot more could be done to help poor countries by allowing freer trade from them (see above paragraph, we care more about gold, diamonds, and oil for this to matter)-- the EU is particularly guilty here because its rich farmers prevent import of cheap African goods that would lower the price of food for all Europeans ( true so they should use these cheap African goods to feed their own). 

If one must give foreign aid, the Obama approach ( I bet Kenya gets good aid) of direct aid avoiding corrupt officials and withholding it if the officials create obstacles is best, but the local corruption pervades regardless (which is why the military approach is needed).

I don't quite understand the bit about military approach.  First, whose military -- the local military tend to be the most corrupt of all, and these are sovereign states so one cannot send in the US army for the purpose.

8 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

I don't quite understand the bit about military approach.  First, , w, hose military -- the local military tend to be the most corrupt of all, and these are sovereign states so one cannot send in the US army for the purpose.

Actually even if you send usa military or even civilian to look after the aid distribution efforts, the nations are so corrupt that they make it impossible for the observers to get any sort of handle, they have so many tricks to mislead or even divert the funds or they might even threaten them. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OverSword said:

Na, we have been getting the shaft for many years. We are used to it by now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aztek said:

so why after all this help people are still hungry? who gets the aid, how is it distributed?  it is pretty clear to anyone with sense of reality, aid gets taken by local powers, who are not that interested in feeding the people. everyone knows general aidid, who we tried to arrest in somalia in 93, he is just a tip of the iceberg.

A number of aid doesnt reach thier intended target 

3 minutes ago, hatecraft said:

We shouldn't be spending so much as a penny on foreign aid.  

You should but only if its garrented the aid reaches its intended areas. Remmeber its the government that sets its goals but any money can be accepted.

53 minutes ago, hatecraft said:

We shouldn't be spending so much as a penny on foreign aid.  

There goes most of the "defense" budget.

54 minutes ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

You should but only if its garrented the aid reaches its intended areas. Remmeber its the government that sets its goals but any money can be accepted.

it almost never does in real world.

• Like 1

Big topic.

The biggest problem with aid is penetrating that membrane of corruption in Government. The second biggest problem is that aid creates a dependency while also hurting the local economy, thus creating more dependency.

When most organizations drop off a shipment of aid, it's done in a sloppy manner. Sometimes it's literally just opening the cargo doors and letting the chaos ensue (this leads to 90% of the products being taken by a small number of citizens). Once those free packages are distributed, some will be consumed but a lot will be simply be taken to market. That's right - aid recipients will sell the free aid at a cost that undercuts local farmers. Local farmers then go bankrupt and the country is that much more dependent on foreign aid. It's a perpetual cycle. On a micro-scale, look at the inner cities: we have been throwing money at certain communities expecting them to elevate their standard of living but...

Food Stamps for Sale on Facebook

There are thousands of stories, if you have the time.

Like many altruistic notions, it sounds good on paper but it has unintended consequences in the real world. Foreign aid to Africa, open borders for third-world migrants, etc. We are doing more damage to their economies by coddling them ensuring there will be entire generations dependent on the West with no prospects or future for themselves. Let's invest in their infrastructure and agriculture, let's invest in their education so they can help themselves. Let's teach them how to fish because dumping our excess fish on their shores is not a solution, it's a band-AID (see what I did there?)

• Like 5

15 hours ago, and then said:

So if Hillary had won you wouldn't be criticizing, second guessing and reading the worst into her every move?  Okaaaayyy.  I'm pretty sure that you, I and most of the other people on this board would be doing exactly that.