Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"My hunt for the Loch Ness Monster"

Still Waters

I like to think there really is a Nessie :) . What a wonderful place to live ...... for both of them!

edit to say: the video is lovely when Steve is chatting ...... not so much when the miserable Eamon is on screen :lol: 

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 6

I think the idea of the Loch Ness Monster is crazy, but I've always admired Steve Feltham for his decision to follow his ideas. The first year he went there there was a C4 documentary on him, I think a lot of people doubted he'd stick it, that was what, 25 years ago? 

• Like 4

Feltham mentions the Wels Catfish as being a possible Nessie:

hqdefault.jpg

140882391d5de09b701270e8e122d637.jpg

158lb-wels-catfish.jpg = Hoaxed_photo_of_the_Loch_Ness_monster.jpg ?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

hqdefault.jpg

This always seems like 'Cryptozoology - Lite' to me. 

With any mystery, I think it's always good to look at all possible explanations.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

With any mystery, I think it's always good to look at all possible explanations.

That's very true. But always stick with the original 'evidence' too. I think the catfish/giant eel theories have moved away completely from the original story too much. It's as if they've re-invented the idea and proposed a solution for the watered down version. Classic Nesse folklore is not explainable by a fish.

• Like 2

I don't understand the need to hold on to this "legend" anymore. An admitted hoax picture sparked the interest and we still can't let it go 80 years later? 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, The Narcisse said:

I don't understand the need to hold on to this "legend" anymore. An admitted hoax picture sparked the interest and we still can't let it go 80 years later? 

It sparked interest yes but the sightings go back to the viking days. River Monsters mentioned it could be a shark or Greenland Shark

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

River Monsters mentioned it could be a shark or Greenland Shark

Here's a video where he visits Loch Ness -

Jeremy Wade investigates the stories behind some of the world's best known monster myths.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/305831-mythical-monsters/

4 hours ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

It sparked interest yes but the sightings go back to the viking days. River Monsters mentioned it could be a shark or Greenland Shark

Maybe, but can we say they're related to the modern phenomena? Same with the St Columba stuff. Is there any large body of water that doesn't have some sort of monster myth? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Narcisse said:

It was a silly season newspaper story that started it, the hoax photo was only in response to the earlier hoax story. But yes, it is time to let it go, but then it's time we let the entire crypto zoo go too. 

Edit: Except that cryptozoology is one of the longest running and most extensive sources of evidence for misidentification, folklore creation, and on, and on.... So let's keep it.

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 2

Years ago there was a proposal that lake monsters could be due to limbs of floating logs sticking out of the water. Air of different temperatures could set up optical refraction that would make a stationary limb look as if it were moving. I thought it was an interesting idea considering it was a non-fish idea.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Years ago there was a proposal that lake monsters could be due to limbs of floating logs sticking out of the water. Air of different temperatures could set up optical refraction that would make a stationary limb look as if it were moving. I thought it was an interesting idea considering it was a non-fish idea.

I still really like that idea. First time I heard it was in connection with my national lake monster 'Teggie' of Llyn Tegid or Lake Bala. Which scared me to death at the time. 

• Like 2

I think all the sighting throughout the years can be explained.  Large lakes can cause misinterpreted sightings.   I think the floating log idea probably accounts for many of the sightings.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I think all the sighting throughout the years can be explained.  Large lakes can cause misinterpreted sightings.   I think the floating log idea probably accounts for many of the sightings.  

Im not exactly a skeptic but i had an experience that added a little insight for me. I was kayaking last year during the carp spawning season. At the time I had no idea but carp spread their eggs throughout beds of reeds during the spawn. Im sitting in my kayak listening to this racket as the reeds are getting thrashed around, i was honestly expecting to see a feral hog or maybe a big cat fishing but then a shape about three feet long torpedoed out from the reeds and straight towards my kayak. My heart jumped into my throat and my mind raced for a good couple seconds as I tried to figure out WTF was happening. All kinds of thoughts went through my head. 

Point of that rant being I can totally see how the mundane could be attributed as being nessie if the idea has already been planted. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

hqdefault.jpg

Good enough for me. I now pronounce this legend officially DEBUNKED. Now that that's over with, how about we bring back legends no one talks about anymore, like the Frogman!

11 minutes ago, NightScreams said:

Good enough for me. I now pronounce this legend officially DEBUNKED. Now that that's over with, how about we bring back legends no one talks about anymore, like the Frogman!

IDK a monster catfish is almost as good ! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I like to think there really is a Nessie :) . What a wonderful place to live ...... for both of them!

edit to say: the video is lovely when Steve is chatting ...... not so much when the miserable Eamon is on screen :lol: 

I agree, although I don't know the Eamon guy.  The guy seems very satisfied with his life.

• Like 2

Out of all of the myths and / or legends about these wonderful imaginative creatures...Nessie was always my favourite. I even had a cuddly pink Nessie dinosaur with long eyelashes that my grandma gave me when I was little :P

tumblr_n4l1rtphlc1stdxrqo1_1280.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Merc14 said:

I agree, although I don't know the Eamon guy.  The guy seems very satisfied with his life.

Just a bit of added info, he's married to his co-presenter. Ruth and Eamonn are a married couple.

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

Just a bit of added info, he's married to his co-presenter. Ruth and Eamonn are a married couple.

And if the vibe between them in that video is anything to go by, watch out for a divorce announcement before the year is out! 

11 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Im not exactly a skeptic but i had an experience that added a little insight for me. I was kayaking last year during the carp spawning season. At the time I had no idea but carp spread their eggs throughout beds of reeds during the spawn. Im sitting in my kayak listening to this racket as the reeds are getting thrashed around, i was honestly expecting to see a feral hog or maybe a big cat fishing but then a shape about three feet long torpedoed out from the reeds and straight towards my kayak. My heart jumped into my throat and my mind raced for a good couple seconds as I tried to figure out WTF was happening. All kinds of thoughts went through my head. 

Point of that rant being I can totally see how the mundane could be attributed as being nessie if the idea has already been planted. 

Good story.   It is amazing how the mind works.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Even sir PeteRichard Scott had a Crack at it after that"flipper" photo and even had a scientific name for it Nessiteras rhombopteryx which by coincidence was an anagram of"monster hoax by Sir Peter s"..........spooky don't ya think