Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have you gone from atheist to believer or....

ParaGirlsHauntedDiary

Vice versa?

When it comes to spirituality and ghosts/spirits, I guess I would always have been a believer, don't ask me why, but ever since I was a child I believed something else existed beyond this realm. So what about you?

• Like 3

In the past have hunted tips, seen nothing, but could be in the wrong spots, I'm comfortably open in saying I wouldn't be surprised.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MWoo7 said:

In the past have hunted tips, seen nothing, but could be in the wrong spots, I'm comfortably open in saying I wouldn't be surprised.

Do you think you'll ever see anything? xx

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ParaGirlsHauntedDiary said:

Do you think you'll ever see anything? xx

Oh lord I don't do that anymore, you have to be fearless or HA! as some would say naive to put in nicely.  Closest ever was a time with this crazy little narrow door and mini steps that were all colored different colors.  As one went up the steps it wasn't fair because they could be on the floor right above you're head watching the back of your head as one crept up quietly as possible at night.  Oh from 1 to 3 P.M. if I recall.  The room and house was left as is, upstairs little beds toys all over the floor. Was there ... oh 3 weeks maybe more, sounds, never caught them , see we were trying to catch a ball or anything rolling across the floor up there, never did, gave up eventually.  A time before techie toys were out.

Okay have to go tx for the post. byebyenow~~~ % D

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, ParaGirlsHauntedDiary said:

Vice versa?

When it comes to spirituality and ghosts/spirits, I guess I would always have been a believer, don't ask me why, but ever since I was a child I believed something else existed beyond this realm. So what about you?

An Atheist is someone who doesn't believe in God, so I'm a bit confused by the title. Is this about ghosts, or God?

• Like 2

I spent a good part of my younger years believing in spirits, etc. But as time past logic took over and I found that 99% of what I thought was real was just psychological phenomenon.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

When I was younger, I believed in everything I heard. Then I learned critical thinking skills. I need facts and evidence to accept things, now. Convincing hand-waving doesn't cut it.

• Like 1

With me it is having lots of spiritual experiences that have made me believe that there is something out there....  We have ghostly experiences.. experiences of Astral travel.. evidence of life after death... then there is  the hierarchical realities of everything... the http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/EMAT6680/Parveen/Fib_nature.htm  ... imagine spirit evolving connecting through all of this... collective consciousness..   There must be some sort of hierarchy of spiritual growth... collective knowledge.. like how the internet works...  the energetic force connecting all of this... how it can synchronistically  personalize vital events.. information... that beats all odds..    If you believe in ghosts.. spirits.. paranormal... there must be something in charge that controls .. regulates ... we know instinctively that there are some sort of spiritual laws ... it is more logical to believe than not to..  http://guardianlv.com/2013/11/quantum-mechanics-experiments-on-universal-consciousness-and-the-afterlife/

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I spent a good part of my younger years believing in spirits, etc. But as time past logic took over and I found that 99% of what I thought was real was just psychological phenomenon.

Why I like some people, straight out in your face raw facts like it or not there it is ahahahhahaha! have to love people for that!

• Like 2

ME TOO!

"When I was younger, I believed in everything I heard. " podo

45 minutes ago, Podo said:

When I was younger, I believed in everything I heard.

• Like 2

I don't believe in belief and never have.  It's a cop-out to escape the responsibility we have to think things through.  Faith is a vice -- akin to mental laziness.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, MWoo7 said:

Why I like some people, straight out in your face raw facts like it or not there it is ahahahhahaha! have to love people for that!

The reality slap was harsh and hard when it happened. I did not enjoy having my happy little wonderland of self-delusion shattered. But, out of it I realized that a little magical thinking is okay if it motivates you to act on what you desire. (hopefully it's a legal desire:blink:). What really get's me about spiritual belief is how people can be so absolute in it. All because it feels good to them. It seems to me that they want to feel special in some way. Which I can understand, however when they're in god mode 24/7 it get really annoying to deal with. 

I still use affirmations when I need them. Not because they will magically make everything better, no. I use them to focus my mind on an objective. Even a simple statement such as. "Today will be a good day, no matter what happens." said with confidence and a sense of certainty. Can change your whole day. This to me is real magick.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

when they're in god mode 24/7 it get really annoying

Been there, I'd no idea how I had to have been TEAR YOUR HAIR OUT ANNOYING LIKE THIS MOUSY WINER SQUEEEK! voices or an constant NOTHING GOOD ITALIAN AUNTIE!

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MWoo7 said:

Been there, I'd no idea how I had to have been TEAR YOUR HAIR OUT ANNOYING LIKE THIS MOUSY WINER SQUEEEK! voice or an constant NOTHING GOOD ITALIAN AUNTIE!

As a fully ordained high priest in the first church of Meh. I issue forgiveness.:lol:

• Like 3

used to ... all sorts of stuff; God - heaven,  hell ....

Then ...... I grew up from being a little child   :) 

- Hey Xeno !

Enjoy your holiday ? 

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 4

Just now, back to earth said:

used to ... all sorts of stuff; God - heaven,  hell ....

Then ...... I grew up from being a little child   :) 

- Hey Xeno !

Enjoy your holiday ? 

It was originally supposed to last till October. Just I got bored so I came back to do my usual thing. 

• Like 2

I have a theory as to why Western atheists seem so hostile to religion (seriously hate it) while Asian atheists are cooler and think sometimes there is something good to be found (although not often).  I was raised in an environment where religion was something you did when you felt like it, and you could become a monk for awhile if you wanted, but no one really expected you to (I suspect a lot of monks become monks because they are gay and want to escape pressure to get married -- at least in the old days).  Most of all, going to Pagoda was a nice outing, one could be quiet and enjoy the art and architecture and gardens, but no one ever preached to you.

The Westerner's experience is very different and they are indoctrinated as children, and when they mature beyond that (most of course never do and remain religionists all their lives) those who do break the bonds do so only after great fear and guilt and end up hating the church because of what it did to them.

• Like 4

I don`nt really  know what to believe.  I believe Jesus was our comforter , my parents.  my ancestors that bought me to a free country , all life human and animals of life that nourished me and died for me were the Gods.  As a far as what  the Creator is  I have no idea :( in all this. I guess if I ever see a ghost I must be dead :)

Edited by docyabut2

I've gone from a hardcore believer to, I think, pretty skeptical. 

I do my darndest to set aside my biases and assumptions, and what I want to believe. 
 But people aren't very good at it, so I dunno how good at it I am. 

Would like to believe in ghosts, paranormal, cryptids, that sort of thing. 

But I have to admit, I've not seen any good reason to. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

I have a theory as to why Western atheists seem so hostile to religion (seriously hate it) while Asian atheists are cooler and think sometimes there is something good to be found (although not often).  I was raised in an environment where religion was something you did when you felt like it, and you could become a monk for awhile if you wanted, but no one really expected you to (I suspect a lot of monks become monks because they are gay and want to escape pressure to get married -- at least in the old days).  Most of all, going to Pagoda was a nice outing, one could be quiet and enjoy the art and architecture and gardens, but no one ever preached to you.

The Westerner's experience is very different and they are indoctrinated as children, and when they mature beyond that (most of course never do and remain religionists all their lives) those who do break the bonds do so only after great fear and guilt and end up hating the church because of what it did to them.

I don't think this statement is fair for many places in Europe. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

I don't think this statement is fair for many places in Europe. 

Probably so -- Britain is an example.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Future ghost said:

An Atheist is someone who doesn't believe in God, so I'm a bit confused by the title. Is this about ghosts, or God?

Well if you consider ghosts.. souls... and a  hierarchical levels of souls.. of levels of development in the spiritual organization... ( ;)    humans have always instinctively operated on a hierarchical order system... they even exist in families..   in is our nature... why???    )  God would be top dog of the pyramid...   the heaven has  many houses  mentioned in the bible.. !!!  could be references to the spirits.. souls from all the other worlds...  Many who agree that there is most likely other intelligent beings on other worlds... believe that some would be more advanced than us.. others not so advanced...   more of the spiritual soul hierarchy...   )        there would be a head honcho for each world... and others for groups of worlds... and then of course heads of universes... all the way to the top...   makes logical sense...   

• Like 1

Well my opinion is there is no God and there are no ghosts.  There probably are aliens but they are so far away we will almost certainly never encounter them.

What else?  Well, there are probably quite a few as yet undiscovered species, but nothing spectacular (you know -- a rare monkey here, a cave spider there, etc.)  While these are worth trying to find, they are not going to change the course of history (an exception might be certain microbes).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

Faith is a vice -- akin to mental laziness

DangIT , another proverb I could have added to my book.

Distances are vast, unimaginable, we can't even fart around in our own backyard(MilkyWay) cripes the slugs on the bottom of the sea have just invented binoculars.  I don't know why the astro kids Neil Tyson chicken dinners for one on Cable HBO Specials etc. don't drive that point home. Would mention full but about as French as my Lab and Beagle here.
Oh, regarding Below comment::::::::::::::::::::::

52 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

There probably are aliens but they are so far away

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1