Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bragging on social media can backfire

Claire.

Bragging on Social Media Can Backfire

Even though we may be reluctant to admit it, many of us spend quite a bit of time looking at what our friends post on Facebook. We're also likely to judge others based on what they post. New research examines how content that we post, and content our friends post about us, can affect our social capital.

Read more: Psychology Today

• Like 4

Some things don't need to be put out in cyber space.  I think some people post crap just to have something to post.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Claire. said:

Bragging on Social Media Can Backfire

Even though we may be reluctant to admit it, many of us spend quite a bit of time looking at what our friends post on Facebook. We're also likely to judge others based on what they post. New research examines how content that we post, and content our friends post about us, can affect our social capital.

Read more: Psychology Today

What amazes me even more are the idiots that post their crimes online, like a badge of honor. I truly believe some of these idiots really think they're anonymous, or that they can't be tracked down.

• Like 3

80% of my FB homepage is memes and videos shared. Most of it I scroll through until I find pics a friend posted of his family doing some activity.

• Like 3

To be expected of the selfy, narcisstic generation we've created. As a kid of the 90s, I think technology was the perfect mix of functionality along with impact upon society as a whole. Now, entire families are glued to their phones and tablets at dinner tables -- they've become addicts akin to smokers. I've seen some people nearly have panic attacks because they left their phones at home when we're on a day trip!

Honestly, I believe social media was the worst invention of the internet era, eliciting a bunch of psychological issues in the youth whom crave 'likes' and 'thumbs up' across meaningless platforms. Research shows social media has just created new avenues for abuse and bullying, causing more self-esteem problems for people of any age. Personally, I've never felt any desire to sign up, whether that be Facebook, Twitter or any of the various apps. One reason being I find people's neediness annoying, but also I don't want my bosses being able to have access to pictures or videos of me in my private life when I may have had too much to drink. People often forget that anything posted digitally isn't lost when deleted, it can easily be retrieved, so anything you do online via social media can come back to haunt your future career aspirations.

Yeah, my friends IRL have tried to get me to join them on these pointless mediums since 2007 when I started college, but I've always rejected their attempts and I feel justified now as many have ruined close relationships and invited real-life drama as a result of said media. A bunch of idiots boasting about their amazing jobs, partners, houses etc... form nothing but a collective void, as most will be empty inside, needing compliments and encouragement just to survive. Quite sad really.

• Like 1

When I was job searching 5 years ago, I was told to make sure I had a Facebook page.  Potential employers will look at them to see what you post. If you put it all private, they wonder what you are hiding.  If you put it public, watch what you post.  Absolutely ridiculous IMO.  

• Like 1

On 3/30/2017 at 0:14 PM, Astral Hillbilly said:

What amazes me even more are the idiots that post their crimes online, like a badge of honor. I truly believe some of these idiots really think they're anonymous, or that they can't be tracked down.

Yeah funny how they would think that. where their real name and picture is on facebook lol.

• Like 1

I just use social media to promote my products and make money But it is fun to chat with like minded people who are fans of the same stuff on there

• Like 1