Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China uses big brother to limit toilet paper

OverSword

It’s easy to understand why facial recognition technology is so dangerous. Any government with this technology could create an unparalleled surveillance grid capable of tracking every move their citizens make. At least when it comes to the surveillance of our electronic devices, we can leave our cell phones at home if we don’t want the government to know where we are. But if there were facial recognition cameras on every street corner, there would be no escape from the ever watchful eye of the government.

Chinese authorities are now adding facial recognition cameras to toilet paper dispensers in public restrooms. But they’re not doing it to surveil their citizens (as far as we know). Instead, the government is trying to prevent people from stealing or using too much toilet paper.

Source

Diabolical.

Edited by Still Waters
Trimmed for length. Please avoid copy & pasting entire articles, the rest can be viewed in the source link.
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Source

Diabolical.

Well thats crappy of them :lol:

• Like 3

That's an awful lot of trouble to go through for stolen TP. :wacko:

• Like 5

I'm glad actually that China will force their citizens to save on resources for something.......that means more resources available for the manufacturing of however much toilet paper us Americans want to waste. Just to celebrate this glorious occasion, I'm gonna abuse 4 whole feet of the best Charmen cloud soft has to offer....and a wet wipe, no 2 wet wipes!, thanks China communist party!

• Like 2

That is one of the reasons I dislike going to the States -- toilet paper.  In SE Asia homes are equipped with little spraying devices that are cleaner and do a much better job (no more "skid marks"), easier for fat and disabled people to use, don't cut down trees, don't have to be bought and lugged from the store, and are handy for those situations where one missed the target (men).  Of course you can get toilet paper here if you must, so I guess a market for them still exists.

Thinking about it, I know the market here for toilet paper -- poor people here use it for tissue paper and napkins.

I'm a little surprised about China -- wherever I've been in China things were as they are here.  When I lived in the States I had them installed on my toilets there.  It took showing the guy some pictures, but once the plumber understood, he did the job in a jiffy for fifty bucks.  In Japan you can spend thousands on a toilet, and even have the sprayer part of the bowl itself (not as useful to my mind) producing hot water if you want it (great for hemorrhoids).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

That is one of the reasons I dislike going to the States -- toilet paper.  In SE Asia homes are equipped with little spraying devices that are cleaner and do a much better job (no more "skid marks"), easier for fat and disabled people to use, don't cut down trees, don't have to be bought and lugged from the store, and are handy for those situations where one missed the target (men).  Of course you can get toilet paper here if you must, so I guess a market for them still exists.

Thinking about it, I know the market here for toilet paper -- poor people here use it for tissue paper and napkins.

I'm a little surprised about China -- wherever I've been in China things were as they are here.  When I lived in the States I had them installed on my toilets there.  It took showing the guy some pictures, but once the plumber understood, he did the job in a jiffy for fifty bucks.  In Japan you can spend thousands on a toilet, and even have the sprayer part of the bowl itself (not as useful to my mind) producing hot water if you want it (great for hemorrhoids).

My coworker is from Vietnam.  Her husband is American and they visited her parents last July.  Her parents bought him some TP to use while he was there but it's nothing like what we use here.  It's similar to the paper towels we dry our hands with in a public restroom she told me.  I guess that the French colonization of Vietnam wasn't all bad it gave them bidets. :)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, OverSword said:

My coworker is from Vietnam.  Her husband is American and they visited her parents last July.  Her parents bought him some TP to use while he was there but it's nothing like what we use here.  It's similar to the paper towels we dry our hands with in a public restroom she told me.  I guess that the French colonization of Vietnam wasn't all bad it gave them bidets. :)

I'm not sure I know what a bidet is, and if it's the same sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Frank Merton said:

• Like 3

sheeple shearing convention ...

~

Thanks for that.  I had a feeling it wasn't quite a "bidet" that we have here -- that looks like an expensive piece of plumbing.  All we have is a little hose with a sprayer on the end that you reach behind yourself and spray away.  It's attached to the plumbing behind the wall.  Vietnamese bathrooms don't have separate shower stalls (instead you just have a shower head on the wall near the ceiling and a water drain on the floor, so you can take a shower while sitting on the toilet (although I don't think most do).  It makes bathrooms much easier to clean, but has the disadvantage that the bathroom floor is always a bit wet so you put on flip-flops when you go in one (or at least take off your socks).  I have found the situation is the same here in Cambodia and I am happy as it is what I am use to -- shower stalls in America so often smelled of mildew, at least to me -- the Americans never seemed to notice (or at least comment) on this.

Part of the problem with toilet paper here, at least most places, is the sewage system can't handle it much.  Also so many have cesspools and it is bad for them.  These are developing countries, and things like that tend to get done as cheaply as possible.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

Thanks for that.  I had a feeling it wasn't quite a "bidet" that we have here -- that looks like an expensive piece of plumbing.  All we have is a little hose with a sprayer on the end that you reach behind yourself and spray away.  It's attached to the plumbing behind the wall.  Vietnamese bathrooms don't have separate shower stalls (instead you just have a shower head on the wall near the ceiling and a water drain on the floor, so you can take a shower while sitting on the toilet (although I don't think most do).  It makes bathrooms much easier to clean, but has the disadvantage that the bathroom floor is always a bit wet so you put on flip-flops when you go in one (or at least take off your socks).  I have found the situation is the same here in Cambodia and I am happy as it is what I am use to -- shower stalls in America so often smelled of mildew, at least to me -- the Americans never seemed to notice (or at least comment) on this.

Part of the problem with toilet paper here, at least most places, is the sewage system can't handle it much.  Also so many have cesspools and it is bad for them.  These are developing countries, and things like that tend to get done as cheaply as possible.

I can sympathize I live in the desert where mildew just isnt a thing but work in the tropics so I am uber sensitive to that mildew smell. 

To be completely honest, i dont think ive ever seen a working bidet in person. That clip I posted is about the extent of my knowledge of them. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

Bidet

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OverSword said:

OK then, what we have is a "bidet shower."  You hold the thing under you while seated and spray yourself.  It uses very little water and of course no paper.

The "disadvantage" the Wiki article mentions is silly.  You of course have to aim it correctly, but that is easy, and you can wash your whole bottom if you want but generally that isn't needed, and nothing really gets wet, and things are much, much better done than with toilet paper.  Most Westerners who come here and are open-minded enough to try it (or find themselves in a situation where they have no choice) end up swearing to never use toilet paper again.

As a side issue, there is the business between squat toilets and sit toilets.  The latter are coming to predominate, but in rural areas the poor westerner may find himself in a situation where he must squat.  This is healthier, I am told, in that one empties without as much strain.  If so the difference is very slight.  The thing is, if you aren't use to squatting, it can be difficult if one doesn't have the necessary leg muscles or if one is obese or one has a broken leg.  I think, all-in-all, the Western-style sit-down toilet is better.

• Like 1

you guys really believe it is about TP? lol.  

my mother got TOTO  bidet- toilet seat, she paid iirc around 500, i installed it, it took me about 10 min.  that thing is awesome, seat is heated, water is heated, has many settings, its remote control has more buttons than my tv remote, as well as lcd screen, ony downside, i see, is that when i sit there is a feeling you sliding down. but my mother says she does not feel that. 

a healthy person has no problem wiping his a$$ clean with  tp without skidmarks, someone with hemorrhoids however, may have problems, also wet napkins,aka baby wipes are very popular here, not just for babies. people carry small packs on them in case they have to go at work. 

Edited by aztek