Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Abandoned' black bear cub rescued by hiker

Still Waters

A hiker in the US has avoided criminal charges after rescuing what appeared to be an abandoned black bear cub from an Oregon trail.

Corey Hancock, 41, spotted the bear lying on his back alone when returning from a hike on Monday evening.

He said he believes the malnourished bear cub's mother had purposefully left him or been shot by hunters.

"I hid behind a tree and made sure there wasn't a Momma bear anywhere," he said.

After the cub stopped moving entirely, he took the decision to "pack him up and make a run for the car" - wrapping the cub up in his flannel shirt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39447989

• Like 6

On the one hand I do understand this...but I think I'd have done the same thing even knowing I'd risk criminal charges.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lilly said:

On the one hand I do understand this...but I think I'd have done the same thing even knowing I'd risk criminal charges.

Me too, without a doubt. What a great guy. We need more people like him in the world.

• Like 1

It was a stupid thing to have done. Baby wild animals should NEVER be removed from their natural environments, even if they appear to be abandoned.They have a much better chance of survival if left alone. Besides, it's not unusual for parents to leave their young whilst they go in search of food.

If the animal appears to be distressed, contact wildlife authorities. Many 'well-meaning' people have 'rescued' a wild animal only for it to die. So, unless the animal is showing obvious signs of injury, they should be left alone.

• Like 4

Imagine mama bear returning and spends the next few weeks searching for baby ... in vain ...

~

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Imagine mama bear returning and spends the next few weeks searching for baby ... in vain ...

~

Don't worry third eye I saw a movie once it was similar except it was a baby ape they took.  If it's any consolation it ended up ruling the world..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Claire. said:

It was a stupid thing to have done. Baby wild animals should NEVER be removed from their natural environments, even if they appear to be abandoned.They have a much better chance of survival if left alone. Besides, it's not unusual for parents to leave their young whilst they go in search of food.

If the animal appears to be distressed, contact wildlife authorities. Many 'well-meaning' people have 'rescued' a wild animal only for it to die. So, unless the animal is showing obvious signs of injury, they should be left alone.

Well, I think he did the right thing in this case, as it seemed the baby was already dying. Another thing he did right was to turn the animal over to a place experienced with raising orphaned bears, and not take it home and try to care for it himself, which is what a lot of people do, and that almost always ends badly for the animal. If the baby had seemed healthy enough to wait for authorities to arrive, by all means, but this didn't seem to be the case. I would have done the exact same thing in a situation like this.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Future ghost said:

Well, I think he did the right thing in this case, as it seemed the baby was already dying. Another thing he did right was to turn the animal over to a place experienced with raising orphaned bears, and not take it home and try to care for it himself, which is what a lot of people do, and that almost always ends badly for the animal. If the baby had seemed healthy enough to wait for authorities to arrive, by all means, but this didn't seem to be the case. I would have done the exact same thing in a situation like this.

There is a right and a wrong way when it comes to performing animal CPR. The procedure for animals is also quite different from that for humans.  I doubt the hiker was qualified. His intentions were good, but his methods faulty. At least now the animal is in better hands.

• Like 3