Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tadpoles see from eyes transplanted in tails

Claire.

Transplanted Eyes Let Tadpoles See from Their Tails

They look like little more than grayish-black grains of couscous floating in water.

But they are actually African clawed frogs-to-be, replete with minuscule blobs that will become eyes. “These little beans here are what I do the surgery on,” said Douglas Blackiston, a postdoctoral fellow at Tufts University’s Allen Discovery Center, holding out a Petri dish. On Thursday, Blackiston published the results of a few years’ worth of those microscopic surgeries, and the finding is bizarre: If you transplant an eye onto what will become the tadpole’s tail, that organ — misplaced though it may be — can allow the animal to see.

Read more Scientific American

• Like 1

This isn't the first time this finding has been published.

Tadpoles see out of their tails after bizarre eyeball transplant

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/243924-tadpoles-see-out-of-their-tails/

• Like 2

I'm still waiting for the human brains on their other ends to be fully functional and professionally utilized ...

~

• Like 1

7 hours ago, third_eye said:

I'm still waiting for the human brains on their other ends to be fully functional and professionally utilized ...

~

Appropriate user name for the thread

• Like 2