Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK inventor creates real-life Iron Man suit

UM-Bot

Hmm. It seems to be just a variation on the old 'jet pack' idea really.

All credit to him though for designing and building it. As for "I think it's far less dangerous than driving a sports bike round country lanes," and "It's not anywhere as dangerous as it looks."... At this moment in time I beg to differ cuckoo.gif

• Like 1

It was a matter of time before someone figured out how to copy the Iron Man suit.  Another innovation Sci-fi  encouraged

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

It was a matter of time before someone figured out how to copy the Iron Man suit.  Another innovation Sci-fi  encouraged

Building an Iron Man suit isn't all that difficult. It's the technical aspect that is. Without the tech it's just body armor. Of course I've always wonder why Tony Stark never had an adamantium suit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Building an Iron Man suit isn't all that difficult. It's the technical aspect that is. Without the tech it's just body armor. Of course I've always wonder why Tony Stark never had an adamantium suit.

He was incredibly rich, so it was not money.  Maybe not enough found?

9 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

He was incredibly rich, so it was not money.  Maybe not enough found?

That's the bad thing about comics the things they need only exist when they need them according to the story. I think a vibranium and adamantium armor would wreck most of his villains. But seriously why not use Magneto to destroy Ultron?

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Why on earth would anyone want to dress up in that ! ? 

Image result for Adam ant

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Because Marvel sold the cinematographic rights for all the X-men related things to Fox and so they can't use them, adamantium included. 

A little bit more seriously, from a comics perspective, I think they didn't discover enough adamantium in order to create a suit. 

Besides, an awful lot was injected in wolvie's skeleton. 

And almost seriously now, I think it's because while "it's all connected", every character has to be original and to be defined by his own internal attributes.

In Iron Man's "world" there's no adamantium, it's in the X-men one. 

Using it, would diminish the uniqueness of the character. 

Ideally, you don't need to know what adamantium means in order to read and appreciate an Iron Man story. 

If you think about it, especially in the movies, why not giving falcon another suite, like war machine for instance? 

After all he'd definitely be more effective with one of those, rather than with a pair of wings and a drone. 

That's because he'd only become "another guy with a suite", even if you'd paint a falcon on his chest. 

And it's for the same reason that I fear the new Spidey's movie has a strong chance to be a let down and missed opportunity, sacrificing the uniqueness of a character on the altar of connectedness.

• Like 2

That's the thing about the comic book universe anything goes when the story requires it. I've always thought it would be interesting if Tony Stark gave Bruce Wayne a kryptonite powered suit of armor to take down superman with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

That's the bad thing about comics the things they need only exist when they need them according to the story. I think a vibranium and adamantium armor would wreck most of his villains. But seriously why not use Magneto to destroy Ultron?

Agreed on the above, but the answer I think lies in my previous post. 

By the way, if I'm not mistaken he does have an adamantium suit now (or at least he used to have one for some time). 

Magneto vs. Ultron would be super cool! 

It all depends I guess on how much prepared would Ultron be to the fight: since he's ever adapting and evolving, he could feature a metalless body, rendering Magneto's powers useless. 

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's the thing about the comic book universe anything goes when the story requires it. I've always thought it would be interesting if Tony Stark gave Bruce Wayne a kryptonite powered suit of armor to take down superman with.

He already gifted himself with something similar if I recall correctly.

Then we could wonder why a Marvel superhero should help a DC superhero to take down another DC superhero, but I think we'll leave it for the next "Marvel vs. DC" super mega crossover. 

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

And besides, if you think about it, comics are always both utilitarian and limited by the writer's intelligence and education (and editorial choices). 

And the readers' ones as well. 

For example, why does Electro only mess with electricity? 

He just needs to run a bit and could become the new Magneto (you know, Faraday's law)!

Actually there's really no difference between the two, and yet that's not the case in the comics. 

We tend to forget that US comics were born as a product for young male readers, usually teens or even pre-teens. 

The only issue is that now those teens grew up and expect the comics to do the same, but of course that's seldom the case. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

He couldn't justify the cost. Adamantium is incredibly expensive, which could be afforded, but would not really be worth it. Secondly, Adamantium is incredibly difficult to obtain. Thirdly Adamantium is incredibly difficult to work with, you can make it a liquid state and mould it, but once it's set, it's set. Stark constantly upgrades his suit because the Gold-Titanium Alloy he uses is not too expensive that throwing it away is a waste, easier to work with and can be upgraded and so on. An Adamantium suit would be incredibly powerful in resilience, but it would be limited by the other technology... Which once in place would be near impossible to upgrade, Iron Man's tech is not uncounterable, he needs to keep upgrading it to stay in place.

As for why he didn't  do Vibro stuff is simply down to supply. Black Panther would not want a Tony Stark equipped with a Vibro Suit. The other characters, in the comics, know Stark is a shady character who has regularly perused his own ends, like destroying rival tech to his suits and so on.

Besides, he has something arguably better than those in the Extremis Armour, which is Nanotech combined with his suits. It's made him extremely powerful.

Or, ultimately, as some have said. The writers deem a character as powerful as they need to be in a story. Scarlet Witch has created entire dimensions and fought God-like beings and won, but has also been beaten by weak people. Hulk has fought Gods and won but has been beaten by various weak things.

As for on topic comment, I am impressed. I'm sure militaries around the world have looked into this as a way of getting to inaccessible places. Good luck to the man.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I was more into obscure comics rather than superhero ones. I felt the stories were all basically the same. Villain does this, hero's do that, etc. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuity_Comics

I admit I had my fair share of superhero comics (mainly Marvel) and I loved it. 

US comics for me were predominantly that, if you exclude Sandman (that was less superhero and more Gaiman) and that's one of the reasons why I grew bored with them. 

I prefer when a story has a beginning and an end, I don't appreciate much the never-ending superhero soap operas. 

After a while they lack in everything: ideas, innovation, coherence and pathos. 

Everything can happen, will happen and will be undone, and death has a revolving door. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parsec said:

I prefer when a story has a beginning and an end, I don't appreciate much the never-ending superhero soap operas. 

After a while they lack in everything: ideas, innovation, coherence and pathos. 

That's why I quit collecting comics. The stories just lost meaning. Even the obscure stuff followed suit.

It'll never get off the ground!