Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chinese engineer marries robot

The Caspian Hare

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2084389/chinese-engineer-marries-robot-after-failing-find-human-wife

A Chinese engineer has “married” a robot he created after failing to find a human spouse.

Zheng Jiajia, 31, an artificial intelligence expert who designs and creates robots in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, created the “female” robot at the end of last year, the Qianjiang Evening News reported.

The robot, which he named Yingying, can identify Chinese characters and images and even say a few simple words, the report said.

• Like 4

I find that incredibly sad....and somewhat disturbing!  Clearly he has given up finding a suitable woman.

Edited by sees
  • Like 3

I have to wonder since he is an artificial intelligence expert he spent so much time working he didn't really look and/or thought he would get lots of attention marrying a robot.

• Like 3

Maybe he wants total control without the "issues" of totally controlling or attempting to control another person.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sees said:

I find that incredibly sad....and somewhat disturbing!  Clearly he has given up finding a suitable woman.

Competition is fierce in China, they have a sex ratio imbalance due to the 1 baby per women policy and the preference for boys (who have to take care of their parents as they grow old). Add sex determination of foetus and abortion, and you get disaster. They have 120 boys born for each 100 girls, while the normal is closer to 106 boys to 100 girls. That's one Chinese man on 6 which won't be able to get a spouse, unless he order one from Vietnam or something.

• Like 1

the real question is, if you're going to marry a robot, why marry a human looking one when you could marry a powerful being of pure, cold carbon and steel?

or maybe that's just me

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gingitsune said:

Competition is fierce in China, they have a sex ratio imbalance due to the 1 baby per women policy and the preference for boys (who have to take care of their parents as they grow old). Add sex determination of foetus and abortion, and you get disaster. They have 120 boys born for each 100 girls, while the normal is closer to 106 boys to 100 girls. That's one Chinese man on 6 which won't be able to get a spouse, unless he order one from Vietnam or something.

Well that's even sadder!  Deplorable!  Very myopic.  At least the one child policy has been recently abandoned.

Further hope - Hong Kong has slightly more women than men over 15.  Maybe he should have moved there!

Edited by sees

12 hours ago, sees said:

I agree that this is disturbing.   What a loon!

• Like 1

It's probably for the best! I have a brother who married a real woman from China. She took him for everything he had. left him broke and living in a VA retirement home for the homeless.
Now she owns a condo in California.

A lot more males than females in Chinaland.

To be honest, if in the near future there is a breakthrough in robotics and you can have yourself a robotic companion of sorts, I am sure many people would opt for that.

(from the caption of the pic of the robot)

" Yingying can identify simple Chinese characters and speak a few simple words. "

Making "her" smarter than me... :wacko:

• Like 2

This is really creepy to me, not to mention extremely weird.

• Like 1

Gary Numan once asked "Are 'Friends' electric?", Zheng Jiajia clearly thinks the answer is yes!

electric.png.b80a827ba824daf318bde859150b5bd7.png

• Like 1

Fair enough, each to their own. The only person this affects is Zheng Jiajia so even if some people think this is disturbing their opinions are entirely irrelevant. Personally I fail to see the benefits of such a situation, but if Zheng is content with it then that's all that really matters.

• Like 1

so the robot was recognized to be human and received a birth certificate before hand after which of course marriage followed... interesting