Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Empath? Or Just Mentally Ill? NEED HELP

yasminleecious

I am a 20 year old female. For four years now, I've been suffering and diagnosed with Major Depression and Anxiety and OCD.

Ever since I was young, I've always preferred being alone. I couldnt handle the crowd and the noise. I get overwhelm very easily. Lately, I've discovered that most of what I'm going through might be because I'm a sensitive (Empath).

I really would like to know if I really am an Empath or I'm just really mentally ill. Because honestly... I'm tired. I need help. I tried going to different doctors taking different meds to the point of suffering from so much side effects. And I attempted suicide twice (I hope the moderators wont delete this, I meant no harm to anyone. I just need answers and help) I also get sick a lot and all my results are normal. I dont know if I'm hypochondriac or something else. I always have headaches, chest pain and stomachaches.

I badly need a reading. If I am an empath, how can I feel better? If I'm just mentally ill, how can I start my life on track again? Am I going to graduate soon? (I stopped studying for 3 years and each year I tried to study again, I always stopped in the middle of semester. I'm planning to go again the next school year, I dont want to stop in the middle again just because of my condition)

I hope someone could give me a reading. It will help a lot and probably save my life. If you need more information, just let me know. Thank you

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to this forum.

I hesitated to reply since you have a lot going on.  It seems that you are looking for a simple label/explanation but I sense that your condition is multi layered.  You may well be hyper sensitive rather than an empath.  Do you know the difference?  Being hypersensitive = having high sensory awareness and often feeling extremely emotional; this would account for you not being able to handle crowds and noises.   I doubt that you are an empath since they feel the emotions of others and you have not indicated this.

You say you have been diagnosed with 'major depression and anxiety and OCD' and that you have tried taking different medications for this.  I don't know what country you are in but medications are not the only treatment for depression, e.g. here in UK, there is talking therapy.

I do feel you are giving yourself a hard time.  What do you do to relax?  This would really help to tone down many of the symptoms you have.  Laughter is also key to giving a balance, sense of perspective.  Cultivating a social network/having supportive friends is also important but I am sure you know this.

Edited by sees

Yes, I thought it could be HSP too. Most of the time I dont really engage with the public. I'd rather be alone coz sometimes I kind of get an alert signal that talking with someone is going to be stressful and heavy so I just ran away. I do laugh sometimes, when I watch comedy tv shows. I have some friends but I dont talk to them often... If I do, I just get more depressed and anxious. I have sessions with my psychiatrists but I dont know if it's talking therapy. If it is, it's hard coz it feels heavy and difficult to speak and I had to think and remember again some awful memories.

Yes, now that you say you 'get an alert signal' (i.e. awareness) that talking to someone isn't going to go well, that further suggests you being hyper sensitive rather than an empath.  Some empaths might prefer to be sensitives, i.e. feeling other's pain etc is an ability they might wish not to have!

You say you just get more depressed if you talk to your friends...why would that be?  Are they not supportive?  Can you not have fun with them e.g. share similar interests?

Sessions with your psychiatrist sounds like talking therapy.  Yes it will be hard going because you are dealing with what's getting in the way of feeling better, i.e. it's a necessary phase that needs to be explored before the healing. How long has this been going on for, i.e. seen any improvement?

May I suggest a soft martial art like Tai Chi, Chi Kung, or maybe some form of Yoga.

These activities do tend to balance out and focus energies which are flying around within the mind and body.

All the best.........:)

• Like 1

Three years. I stopped going because nothing worked out. The medications have more side effects than positive effects to me. I ended up having anterograde amnesia from the meds. Guess I'm just a hopeless case. Anyway, thanks for clarifying things.

2 hours ago, yasminleecious said:

I am a 20 year old female. For four years now, I've been suffering and diagnosed with Major Depression and Anxiety and OCD.

Ever since I was young, I've always preferred being alone. I couldnt handle the crowd and the noise. I get overwhelm very easily. Lately, I've discovered that most of what I'm going through might be because I'm a sensitive (Empath).

I really would like to know if I really am an Empath or I'm just really mentally ill. Because honestly... I'm tired. I need help. I tried going to different doctors taking different meds to the point of suffering from so much side effects. And I attempted suicide twice (I hope the moderators wont delete this, I meant no harm to anyone. I just need answers and help) I also get sick a lot and all my results are normal. I dont know if I'm hypochondriac or something else. I always have headaches, chest pain and stomachaches.

I badly need a reading. If I am an empath, how can I feel better? If I'm just mentally ill, how can I start my life on track again? Am I going to graduate soon? (I stopped studying for 3 years and each year I tried to study again, I always stopped in the middle of semester. I'm planning to go again the next school year, I dont want to stop in the middle again just because of my condition)

I hope someone could give me a reading. It will help a lot and probably save my life. If you need more information, just let me know. Thank you

I would suggest you do some research and give some alternative health care people a try like ones that do psychology that includes the psychic side of the patient.

9 minutes ago, Zos said:

May I suggest a soft martial art like Tai Chi, Chi Kung, or maybe some form of Yoga.

These activities do tend to balance out and focus energies which are flying around within the mind and body.

All the best.........:)

Do I need a guru for that? I tried yoga by myself before. It didnt work out.

I didn't need a guru.

I just got myself a book, and did the exercises in that.

It did make me feel better, but the soft martial art did help me more in the sense that I didn't feel as helpless in confrontational situations, plus it involved pretty much most of the exercises I was doing in yoga anyway.

I had a lot of issues with bullying, and general self esteem, (and sometimes still do, but hey....:))

BTW, don't get me wrong here; I'm just as screwed up as anyone else, but over the years I've learned to deal with most of my own issues in ways that most people would find unacceptable, but this is my trip and I go with what works for me.

I wouldn't assume I know what's right for you, but I do know that these things worked for me.

Suicide isn't an option as far as I'm concerned, as I came here to live a life and whatever it throws at me, I've got to deal with it until life decides it's had enough of me and takes me out:)

I'm too lazy to keep anything up for long, and my 'spiritual' pursuits are sporadic and chaotic at best, but they do make me feel better when I did/do them.

Generally, my thing is to explore my states of mind/consciousness, including the negative and positive, and try to avoid becoming too embroiled in either.

I frequently fail miserably:))

I think I've already said too much...............

Edited by Zos

1 hour ago, yasminleecious said:

Three years. I stopped going because nothing worked out. The medications have more side effects than positive effects to me. I ended up having anterograde amnesia from the meds. Guess I'm just a hopeless case. Anyway, thanks for clarifying things.

Psychiatry tends to offer psychoanalysis, i.e. focus on the past with preconceived theories to fit you into.  I think you may well do better with psychotherapy (which is what I meant by talking therapy), which starts with how you present yourself and doesn't try to fit you into a set theory.

Don't give up on yourself!   46693.gif

Edited by sees
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2017 at 11:17 AM, yasminleecious said:

" I have some friends but I dont talk to them often... If I do, I just get more depressed and anxious. I have sessions with my psychiatrists but I dont know if it's talking therapy. If it is, it's hard coz it feels heavy and difficult to speak and I had to think and remember again some awful memories."

You sound like me when I was twenty and I truly feel for you. I had all of the same debilitating symptoms and was treated in a variety of ways that western medicine treats us, pills and talking basically. The talking helped but only when I found the right people to talk to. Unless a therapist is in tuned to the presence of psychic-spiritual anything and it turns out this is the underlying issue you will only get so far. I recommend as another poster did to find someone like this. 

I'd agree you are hypersensitive and you may also be an empath. I myself am both and sadly they feed off of each other. If you feel heavy and weighted when around certain folks you could be sensing something that is theirs and not yours. If you're an empath you can feel like someone else's pain, memories, even thoughts are your own. I went through that for a long time when due to job restrictions I had to be around a lot of people all the time. It was overwhelming and I ended up not only resenting people for having to process the crap they seemed to so easily ignore but ultimately it got to the point where I had symptoms of PTSD and wasn't able to work at all. It can get that bad. Until you learn to separate what's yours from what's theirs you will continue to be overwhelmed and run away. In order for you to do that you have to address the stuff you know is yours first.

Which brings me to the above quote from one of your posts. My guess is that the "awful memories" whatever they may be are the tip of the iceberg peeking above the water, waving to get your attention- Often when there's deep seated emotional pain and it's ready to come to the surface before you are willing to address it can cause a lot of turmoil that cause a great deal of anxiety. Frankly it can split you in half and feel like hell. At that point you'll do anything to keep it buried! You can't run from it, unfortunately it will continue to surface like a splinter in your finger that it pushes out when it's time. It's natural to heal and it's for your own good. It's not convenient but it's necessary and you can't stop it, plugging it up will only make the surfacing that much more painful.

Because even if you are an empath or a sensitive what you're sensing may be others or your environment or it may be you projecting your pain and anxiety onto them and perceiving it as them, that's why you have to get clear. Even if you are experiencing an onslaught of information from other people or a broadcast from the subtle layers of reality you're not going to see it correctly until you sort out what's in your own luggage first. 

I'd recommend along with probably everyone else who comes across your post to ***learn meditation***!it's not just cliche but a matter of survival if you're sensitive. it doesn't matter what kind, whatever kind you're able to do to calm your brain. Educate yourself about cords, psychic connections between people and how to manage them. Learn to ground and protect yourself. Just google "spiritual grounding techniques" and find one that you like. Spend time walking in nature it can do wonders. Acupuncture and TCM can also help as they work to balance your subtle elements. And don't be afraid to be alone if that's what you need.  Take care of your self first.

Either way you really have to address this stuff now before it ruins your life and if you've already contemplated suicide then the time is now to deal with your stuff, young lady. Life is a gift and so is sensitivity, don't waste yours and don't ever give up. Be good to yourself. You're not a lost cause. ❤️ 

• Like 2

Yeah don't give up you're not living in N. Korea. plus! nothing is really as bad as it can be and Gramps always said there's worse things I reckon ?...hope that's spelled right : D

oh ps: and stay busy

oh and keep away from downer types if possible, tons of other atmospheres/environments examples but, here's one I'll describe, but not quickly HAHAHAA!~ lets see... if a t work and a director is off making everyone's world impossible you have to bear up and handle their negativity, they've crap in their head but they will work through it eventually, did that make sense? hope so and I trust in a few months you will be doing some stellar out of this world things, well on the right track, amazing things take time sometimes.  TODDLES!

Edited by MWoo7

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2017 at 5:48 PM, yasminleecious said:

hello it seam it,s just a OCD problem that It has three layers: Fear, anxiety, depression it seam you are high sensitive.you just need a friend that know your problem and I have more experience in this regard,you need concentration to achieve your goals and you should control you mind by controlling your habits.

for person that suffering from OCD it's difficult but not impossible.please read this book:" The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg". this book teach you how a habit work and how to create new habits (40 percent of our daily activity based on our habits).

please think very deep and tell me: which activity can make you really happy and you really love it?

if you answer this question, we can think about next step:) 

Play video games at medium difficult level that's the best distraction I have come across. 

• Like 2